Blood in cannula. Day 2 of pump

Sandymcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m probably over reacting. But the cannula I changed earlier today has bright red blood in it. It doesn’t hurt at all, but it’s a bit alarming! I’m about to go to bed and was told not to change it at night? It’s my second change. Any advice would be welcome!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Sandymcat What cannula/pump are you using ? How are you blood glucose levels ? and is there any pain at the cannula site ?

Personally I would go ahead and change regardless of it being night time - there may be a possibility that your levels could go higher so it's best to be safe.

Sandymcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m on accu check insight. My levels are fine, if anything a little low.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It's up to you then on the set change, maybe wake and do a test in the night to check instead, also you mentioned there is no pain, so unless it's really making you nervous leave till the morning ?

Sandymcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It doesn’t hurt. Wondering if I should leave it till morning when I can call DSN.

D

Deleted Account

I assume the reason for the advice not to change your cannula at night ight is in case it is not inserted correctly you will not be awake to notice.
If you need to change at night, you may need to set an alarm to wake up and retest in 2 hours to check your BG is not rising which could mean your cannula is not ok.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It doesn’t hurt. Wondering if I should leave it till morning when I can call DSN.

The trigger for a cannula change for me is either pain at the cannula site so discomfort when I move, or if my levels are rising as this can also mean a dodgy site, as your ok and levels are ok, then it's not worth changing tonight.

I personally have no issue changing my set at night time as I use steel sets so know they are inserted and pump has an alarm if there is a block on my 640g which would wake me (eventually) if I was asleep, only happened once in 2 years though.

Reactions: Sandymcat

Sandymcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Calming down now. Sorry, it’s a bumpy ride at the moment! I think for now I’ll set my alarm for a couple of hours time and check my blood sugar. Then put a new one in when I’ve spoken to the DSN in the morning. Thanks guys!

Sandymcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The trigger for a cannula change for me is either pain at the cannula site so discomfort when I move, or if my levels are rising as this can also mean a dodgy site, as your ok and levels are ok, then it's not worth changing tonight.

I personally have no issue changing my set at night time as I use steel sets so know they are inserted and pump has an alarm if there is a block on my 640g which would wake me (eventually) if I was asleep, only happened once in 2 years though.

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I’m going to try and get some sleep now,

Reactions: porl69

Sandymcat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the help last night. I panicked, I needn’t have. I’ll try to think things through rationally.