Lidl high protein roll

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I just mention this is the nutritional information I posted after I contacted Lidl when the rolls were first introduced? Since then at both the stores near me has been selling a much smaller roll, so the amounts will be less.

The amounts quoted in the nutritional information is per 100g. therefore it doesn't matter how big or small the rolls now are.
The nutrition information I have is slightly different
Ingredients Water, 17 % Linseed, Wheat Protein, Soy Flour, Whole Wheat Flour , 4 % Sesame, Soybean Meal, 3 % Sunflower seeds, Wheat Bran, Yeast , Oat Fiber, Salt, Coloring Spice Extracts (Curcuma), Thickener: Guar Gum.
Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g
Energy 289kcal/1203kJ
Fat 13.8g
Of which saturates 1.8g
Carbohydrate 9.8g
Of which sugars 1.2g
Fibre 12.3g
Protein 25.0g
Salt 1.03g

Reactions: VinceUK

Robbiebee

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Morrisons do a wholemeal high protein loaf which is 8 gms carbs per slice. It's much nicer than the Lidl rolls

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Just agree with the advice to test your glucose response. I have tried so many items that say they are low carb, the nutrient info agrees they are low carb, I eat one and my glucose spikes. We are all different. Just check your response. Hope this item agrees with you.

VinceUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Selfishness, conceited and arrogant people.
Ihave one of theses every morning for breakfast when I am home in the UK as a sandwich with Bacon and Egg. no effect on BG and I love them. The only problem I have found is that they sell out very quickly so I need to be there early

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can I just mention this is the nutritional information I posted after I contacted Lidl when the rolls were first introduced? Since then at both the stores near me has been selling a much smaller roll, so the amounts will be less.

I randomly weigh them, when I buy them I always try and aim for the same sized ones as much as possible. They are mostly just under 100g sometimes a little over. They taste great when you haven’t had bread for almost 7 months. Haha!!

I have one almost daily now for my lunch, no spikes whatsoever, I have a lot of meat on mine, pastrami, salami and smoked ham with a bit of cheese. Have had half with my evening meal if we have a cooked breakfast for dinner with a poached egg on top (what a treat) . Haven’t tried them at breakfast as I’m ultra sensitive in the mornings. 3 egg omelette with stacks of cheese or a couple of boiled eggs and some pre cooked sausages out the fridge. ;)

Thanks again peeps for the suggestion, so many amazing food tips on here.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
They freeze well too, I’ve found. I usually keep a couple in there for emergencies!

And because they are so, er, solid, they make great sandwiches for when you’re out and about too. None of that falling apart business.

Reactions: Mufflana

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has a cooked breakfast at evening meal! I also have a half with it, toasted with butter.
You can’t beat it can ya. I’ve always treated myself once a week to one. Those Lidl high meat sausages are a time saver when you have 4 left in the fridge. ;)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can’t beat it can ya. I’ve always treated myself once a week to one. Those Lidl high meat sausages are a time saver when you have 4 left in the fridge. ;)

I haven't tried those sausages. I use Hecks 97%. I may give them a go. Nothing like a good old English breakfast, at any time of day!

They freeze well too, I’ve found. I usually keep a couple in there for emergencies!

I buy the whole basket full in one go and freeze the lot!. Last week I had the misfortune to arrive at the baskets at the same time as another lady wanting them all as well. We shared them. She said she is addicted to them. I agreed.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't tried those sausages. I use Hecks 97%. I may give them a go. Nothing like a good old English breakfast, at any time of day!

I buy the whole basket full in one go and freeze the lot!. Last week I had the misfortune to arrive at the baskets at the same time as another lady wanting them all as well. We shared them. She said she is addicted to them. I agreed.
Ha! So it's YOU, @Bluetit1802!! Well, even though you're up there rather than down here, I have to blame someone for the empty baskets in my local Lidls. Roll Wars could break out....

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have three Lidls within two miles of my house. I’ve had to visit all three to get any before now :wacky:

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last summer we toured Cornwall. It seems every reasonably sized town has a Lidl, so with a little pack of butter from breakfast and a pack of cheese or ham, I was sorted for lunch.

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They always seem to be in stock at my local Lidl, so I'm not telling you where I live ! I love them best of all toasted with cheese and salad, but am now tempted to try them as a breakfast sandwich - crispy bacon ....... my mouth is watering already!!!

Reactions: Mufflana

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They always seem to be in stock at my local Lidl, so I'm not telling you where I live !

Same here. Always been able to pick them up. 25 minute walk each way so also get some exercise in.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I get them for my husband and they are definitely smaller than they used to be I think they changed the suppliers

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even I eat these, good taste to them.

Anyone tried the Hovis low carb/high protein bread for toast?
I can't tell you the numbers, just that's what it says on the label.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Even I eat these, good taste to them.

Anyone tried the Hovis low carb/high protein bread for toast?
I can't tell you the numbers, just that's what it says on the label.
I also eat Hilo bread it's 5g of carb a slice and lovely -can get from Sainsbury's as not always able to get to lidl. I think it just tastes like high carb seeded bread and is bread /toast shaped! Had it buttered with my salad tonight and after six months of not eating the real stuff I really can't tell the difference!

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I also eat Hilo bread it's 5g of carb a slice and lovely -can get from Sainsbury's as not always able to get to lidl. I think it just tastes like high carb seeded bread and is bread /toast shaped! Had it buttered with my salad tonight and after six months of not eating the real stuff I really can't tell the difference!

I must admit, I am into seeded bread now.
(crack on to myself it's seeds, so it's not flour!)
I still like the crusty white with a slice of bacon on, but for a sandwich, or a slice of toast, seeds are good.
But the seeds, still my own teeth, so a box of toothpicks in the cab at all times.
Mind you, I ripped my gum apart with a seed down the side of a molar, driving for a couple of days in agony, with a mouth I couldn't close, and I couldn't eat solid food, after pulling the seed out, and there's still a rip I keep pushing my tongue into lol.

Reactions: shelley262