A little freaking out..

Spiritof

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So, I have been having pain in my sides for awhile now running down to my private regions aswel.

I had blood test done today and there was protein found in my urine, it wasn't a big amount.

When I came home I tested myself with my mothers blood sugar monitor.

The results were 4.4, then few mins later 5.2. I had not eaten anything since the night before so was fasting.

Anyways tonight I had a bowl of butternut squash and one slice of garlic bread. An hour later I had a half a cup of tea with one sugar and some sugar free chocolate , when I tested my blood 5 mins after the tea and chocolate my levels were 7.7.

I am freaking out as it seems to indicate diabetes.

Just wondering some opinions on here?

Thank you

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Spiritof and welcome :)

Your levels don't strike me as diabetic levels, it's normal for non diabetics to test at these levels for up to 90 minutes after eating, and your fasting levels which look absolutely fine, did your GP discuss your protein levels with you ? If you have any further concerns please ask your GP as we can only speak from experience and cannot diagnose on the forum.

Reactions: Spiritof

Spiritof

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @Spiritof and welcome :)

Your levels don't strike me as diabetic levels, it's normal for non diabetics to test at these levels for up to 90 minutes after eating, and your fasting levels which look absolutely fine, did your GP discuss your protein levels with you ? If you have any further concerns please ask your GP as we can only speak from experience and cannot diagnose on the forum.

Hi Juicyj

Thank you for the reply/ I always thought 7.7 was high as I didn't eat much tho I did do the test 5 mins after drinking tea with a little sugar.
I am waiting on the results for the bloods and urine to come back. The urine was done on strip test and had slight protein in urine. Thank you

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Juicyj

Thank you for the reply/ I always thought 7.7 was high as I didn't eat much tho I did do the test 5 mins after drinking tea with a little sugar.
I am waiting on the results for the bloods and urine to come back. The urine was done on strip test and had slight protein in urine. Thank you
Yes but you'd already had the bread and the butternut squash? So your levels had probably risen from that not the tea etc.

Spiritof

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes but you'd already had the bread and the butternut squash? So your levels had probably risen from that not the tea etc.

But would garlic bread and butternut squash soup cause such a spike about an hour and 15 mins later? Thanks

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi Juicyj

If I had what you ate, the sugar in your tea alone would spike me higher and I'm on insulin therapy to prevent high glucose levels. Garlic bread takes me to 11mmol/l and your soup thicker wouldnt help either.
Nope 7.7 isnt high on those foods to a type2 like me.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
7.7 are not high and no way near diabetic. 11.2 mmol or higher are diabetic, so 7.7 are actually pretty good and normal.

Lyndsay444

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I was diagnosed diabetic my blood glucose was always above 29 mmol after eating. That’s with a no sugar low carb diet too. Doesn’t sound as your diabetic.
What made you think you possibly were?
I’m curious.

Spiritof

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I was diagnosed diabetic my blood glucose was always above 29 mmol after eating. That’s with a no sugar low carb diet too. Doesn’t sound as your diabetic.
What made you think you possibly were?
I’m curious.

Well when I got my blood pressure monitored yesterday it was low, plus the protein in the urine can be a sign of diabetes. Tho I have been having pain in my kidney, bladder and private areas. I suffer from prostatitis.
One thing is my eyesight has been kind blurry lately so I read its a sign .
My grandmother was a diabetic and most times I checked myself with the monitor it was never that high would normally be in the 4's when fasting. Thanks for the messages.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Well when I got my blood pressure monitored yesterday it was low, plus the protein in the urine can be a sign of diabetes. Tho I have been having pain in my kidney, bladder and private areas. I suffer from prostatitis.
My grandmother was a diabetic and most times I checked myself with the monitor it was never that high would normally be in the 4's when fasting. Thanks for the messages.
But your fasting was 4.4? So still in the 4s?

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin

Calm down. Protein in urine are not a common sign in diabetes, unless your kidney’ are severley damaged by long term hyperglycemia or DKA, and you do not get hyperglycemia og DKA by a blood sugar of only 7.7mmol.

A more common cause for protein in urine are UTI, which sounds more likely when you describe discomfort or pain in the pelvic or kidney area.

Blurred vision could just be bad eyesight, something many suffers from with age. Not to mention that blurry vision caused by diabetes often are accompanded with double vision.

Fasting blood sugar can raise to 6 mmol in non diabetic, and up to 7.8 mmol 2 hour after eating in non pre-diabetics. You had 7.7 mmol 1 hour and 5 minuts after eating, which are perfectly normal. Your blood sugar could raise to 11.1 mmol in the first hour after eating, without being pre-diabetes.