Normal Fasting but High Post meal readings

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, dude, I'm completely immature! ;) (And have you met @bulkbiker yet?!)

"What if's..?" will destroy any optimism you might have - reject, reject, reject! They're not good for you and you can do nothing constructive with them. They just grow larger and more impossible to plan for, and you end up with "What if a satellite falls into a degrading orbit and crashes into the house while I'm warming up the car to go to an appointment?!"

And before anyone starts giggling, I'll just say, we've all had a case of the Crazy What Ifs :D

You're doing great, you really are. Your wife is lucky to have you and you don't need to drive yourself nuts yet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
question - is a reading of 8.2 2 hours after Dinner for a diabetic person who is on no medication ok?
wife is eating low carbs and while we wait for if we are type 1 or type 2 or type 1.5 I want to know if the readings are "acceptable" . They occasionally go up to 9.2 but have been all under 10 for the past 4 weeks or so.

Of course you are curious and want to know if her readings are OK, but you do need some structure to your testing before you can see what is good or not so good. Does she keep a food diary including portion sizes (and all the ingredients)? That is just as important as testing at the beginning of this journey so you can look back and see which are her danger foods, and in which portion size. Recording her levels alongside the food will help with this. She needs to test before she eats and again 2 hours after first bite - and rather than look at the actual levels at this stage in her journey, look at the difference between the before and after readings and try to keep this as small as possible, and under 2mmol/l. This may require a few tweaks to the portion sizes of the carby stuff.

This regime will be fine for now. When she gets a firm diagnosis and possibly medication, it may have to change a bit.

Reactions: SockFiddler

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I am a relatively new T2 and have got loads of good support and ideas on this forum. I batch cook veg curry based on frying a grated (helps to thicken better than chopped) large onion with spices of choice adding a large tin tomatoes and any veg (bearing in mind some more carby) and some stock or water. I usually stash 6 portions in microwaveable boxes in the freezer and these make an easy last min supper on those days we all have! This can be varied by adding a tin of coconut milk or cream and using more aromatic spices. But dont have it with rice try cauli rice or other veg rice (available frozen packs Iceland or fresh from other supermarkets.

Reactions: Stay healthy

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forgot...always forgetting something!...add grated ginger garlic and chilli to the fring of onion and spices. You are probably much better at cooking than me so apologies if you think my recipe too basic. Its just low carb and works for me and my family.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey, no matter how great you are at cooking, the fact remains that no-one wants to spent 3 hours preparing complex, restaurant-quality food every single night.

Simple, easy, healthy works, too!

Altaf_7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
My wife has recently been diagnosed and we are slightly confused with her readings which we are taking at home using finger prick tests.
History - her Hb1ac was quite high in Nov and since then it has come down in Jan . we are working towards lowering it further.
She had fasting readings of 6.6 to 6.8 but her post meal readings are been 14.5 to 14.7. They used to be higher earlier but are still high for our liking.

Question - She is on no medication and controlling her diet and exercising but her post meal readings are still not improving. Any suggestions / opinions on why that might be a case?

Hi,
See the thing is exactly after how much time did u take the post meal readings ... see even for a normal person just after eating there is a healthy post meal spike in blood sugar level ... a fasting of less than 110
Post meal less than 160 in less than an hour
Post meal less than 130 in less than two hours
Is fine anything above it is abnormality in blood sugar level ... the best thing to do is check after 2 hours after eating ...plus you got to see if you are having any high amount of carbs or not try to keep the amount of carbs to a minimum and exercise ...