Statins and morning blood sugar levels

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on statins for sometime and I have had various side effects from various ones. The current ones are pravastatin and they seem to have help push my blood sugars up especially on a morning. I was then told by my doctor that the statins where necessary balance. Suggesting that I took them at lunch instead of at night, but this doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I eat a healthy diet and keep myself fit, most of the time my bloods are in range during the day. I have just had my latest HBA1c back and its gone up to 60, which isn't good I know, but previously I was around 48.

So something is going wrong, has anyone else had issues with pravstatin or other statins in the past or currently

Thanks in advance

D

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Statins are well known for causing raised blood glucose levels.

solu1956

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Statins also make you more likely to have a heart attack because they stop your liver making co enzyme Q10, a hormone your heart needs to keep it strong. Was taking statins for 12 yrs, now take cardioclear7 which is strengthening my heart and has brought down my blood pressure.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Statins are known to raise glucose levels and have been implicated in causing diabetes.

I was taking simvastatin long term prior to diagnosis, and it wasn't until I stopped taking it that I had a sudden drop in glucose levels after being stalled for some time on my low carb diet.

Robbity

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why are you taking statins?
There are valid reasons for taking them but cholesterol control (according to many) is not one of them.
I take one for a specific reason but perhaps you could do some research and then have another chat with your doc.

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there,

The reason I take the statins is because of the high chlosterol, but my good chlosterol is a lot higher than my bad. I also tend to find that my blood sugars are normal during the day but in the morning they are high over the last few monthes.

Find it hard to explain. I'm due to go to see the doctors next week so I am going to discuss it with him then

Darren

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Then arm yourself with info and opinions here about statins ... you might be surprised why ... type statins into the search box and read

Reactions: dwelldon

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Then arm yourself with info and opinions here about statins ... you might be surprised why ... type statins into the search box and read
Thanks Mike, I will be doing a lot of research. I've been on 4 different statins in that past because of various problems, like muscle cramps and IPS. My body doesn't like them by the looks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Mike, I will be doing a lot of research. I've been on 4 different statins in that past because of various problems, like muscle cramps and IPS. My body doesn't like them by the looks
So you have your most recent cholesterol figures? Does your GP do a full lipid panel? Do you fast beforehand?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You're already armed :) Personally, I'd rather take a glass of Agatha Christie's cyanide than ever accept them. Bad stuff ... IMO

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So you have your most recent cholesterol figures? Does your GP do a full lipid panel? Do you fast beforehand?
I don't yet, I'm due at doc next week so will then. I don't tend fast beforehand no, not been asked too before.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would and then ask for a full lipid profile.. the total cholesterol number is pretty meaningless.. some GP's know this and others don't so you might find yourself unlucky but if the blood draw is by a phlebotomist then they should know what you are talking about. In my opinion any doctor who prescribes stains based only on a total cholesterol number deserves to be struck off.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Statins also make you more likely to have a heart attack because they stop your liver making co enzyme Q10, a hormone your heart needs to keep it strong. Was taking statins for 12 yrs, now take cardioclear7 which is strengthening my heart and has brought down my blood pressure.
Where did you get that information from? They are supposed to help avoid a heart attack and stroke.... All people have to do is take a supplement of Q10... Obviously if people have bad side effects then best see a doctor

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I don't yet, I'm due at doc next week so will then. I don't tend fast beforehand no, not been asked too before.
I have always been told to fast when having my yearly lipids done otherwise you can get false results.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where did you get that information from? They are supposed to help avoid a heart attack and stroke.... All people have to do is take a supplement of Q10... Obviously if people have bad side effects then best see a doctor
I read that you should always consult the doctor if taking Q10 while taking statins because it may not be advisable. I take statins so I asked my GP if I should take Q10 and she said no I did not need to but she did advise taking Vitimin D which I take anyway as it is included in the Cod Liver oil capsule that I take every day

solu1956

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
They also caused major muscle wastage to my legs, and every morning I would have spots all over my left side.my husband died of liver cancer because of all the many meds he was on with his diabetes. That is what big pharma wants you to think. Have watched conferences with world renowned consultants of diabetes, saying statins do nothing to help your cholesterol, but harm your heart, and your liver.

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would and then ask for a full lipid profile.. the total cholesterol number is pretty meaningless.. some GP's know this and others don't so you might find yourself unlucky but if the blood draw is by a phlebotomist then they should know what you are talking about. In my opinion any doctor who prescribes stains based only on a total cholesterol number deserves to be struck off.

I know my last set of bloods my good levels were high so that probably put up the actual results. My friend at work has suggested looking into the keto diet

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't treat diabetes, but I try and make sure everyone I see who has established coronary disease (bypass, stent, heart attack) is on a statin. It's these people who benefit the most from those drugs. Whoever said they cause heart attacks because of their effect on CoQ10 is probably selling that stuff out of the trunk of his car at a strip mall near you lol. If it's on the internet it must be true. Right?

Reactions: mountaintom

solu1956

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Cholesterol is not harmful, as long as it has not been oxidizes by free radicals , it makes up 25pc of your brain, and is the building blocks for the lining of every cell on your body.reducing your cholesterol is weakening the cells and attacking your brain cells.statins also kill your mitochondria, which is were your body stores the energy in your body for your muscles to use as needed. Loss of these vital cells cause lack of energy, constantly being tired. Statins have never been proven to work. They do you harm. Have done a lot of research since my husband passed. Trying to pass on what I have learned. I am type 2 diabetic, is the big newt in our position?