JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When I was nursing I remember one particular patient who always asked to be pricked in his ear lobe :wideyed: He said it was less painful!
May try that specially as I have no sensation what so ever in ear lobes.

Reactions: eggs11

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I did my nursing training, many moons ago, I was taught to use the sides. However during my recent hospital stay they all without fail used the tips despite my objections! :arghh:
I’d be pricking my own fingers, using my own lancet not those horrible disposable ones they use that puncture your bone there that deep.

Reactions: kitty55

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I find the sides better but some fingers sides or tips get no blood no matter how hard I squeeze maybe its just me ?

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the sides better but some fingers sides or tips get no blood no matter how hard I squeeze maybe its just me ?
Sometimes I find this - my index fingers (I know some people don't use them but I do) are harder to get blood from - I think the skin is tougher on them - so I tend to prick them on the last tests of the day, when the lancet is a bit blunter, a fresh lancet doesn't seem to work with them.

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I’d be pricking my own fingers, using my own lancet not those horrible disposable ones they use that puncture your bone there that deep.
Same here. Never let anyone else do it unless I'm unconscious for some weird reason

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
On the ward I was on they didn't like patients getting hold of sharp implements.