False hypos keeping me awake at night

Rianna0210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, I had my Nurse appointment at the end of January and I have been working towards tighter control. As a result I have been waking up 2/3 sometimes even 4 in the night feeling hypoglycaemia symptoms including shaking, feeling brain fog, feeling my blood run cold, nervous feeling in my chest and cold sweats. I test my blood sugars this morning and it was 5.8,Normal! I have done some research and found something called ‘false hypos’. As you can imagine it’s very frustrating as I am not getting much sleep. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this and if there is anything I can do to stop this feeling as many of you know it’s a horrendous feeling. Thank you!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Rianna0210 When you wake during the night are you testing your BG levels ? Waking at 5.8 is good but you may well be having a hypo so it is worth checking.

D

Deleted Account

Typically, false hypos occur when your body is not used to running at a lower BG level. You mentioned you are working towards a tighter control so this may be the reason.
The good news is our bodies are very good at relearning what is a "normal" level for you. Therefore, as levels like 5.8 become common for you, the false hypos should go.

Reactions: Rianna0210

Rianna0210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Typically, false hypos occur when your body is not used to running at a lower BG level. You mentioned you are working towards a tighter control so this may be the reason.
The good news is our bodies are very good at relearning what is a "normal" level for you. Therefore, as levels like 5.8 become common for you, the false hypos should go.

I hope it begins to relearn quickly! It’s very frustrating!