Statin query

lynbrown

I have just been reading the leaflet enclosed with my pills in my statin medicine. It is Atorvastatin. The leaflet says to be cautious if you are over 70 and have an under active thyroid. I am now 74 and take thyroxine as I only have half my thyroid. Should I raise this with the Diabetes Clinic ( every 6 months) or my GP?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been reading the leaflet enclosed with my pills in my statin medicine. It is Atorvastatin. The leaflet says to be cautious if you are over 70 and have an under active thyroid. I am now 74 and take thyroxine as I only have half my thyroid. Should I raise this with the Diabetes Clinic ( every 6 months) or my GP?

Definitely the GP as he is most likely the one that prescribed it. Note that it can also raises blood sugar levels.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is the one I was prescribed - and I have to take thyroxine - 175gm per day.
Sheesh.
I was diagnosed diabetic due to the wrong test being done - it should have been a thyroid one - I have not had my thyroid level checked for well over two years now - I mentioned it at the last test, but it was apparently not on the list.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is the one I was prescribed - and I have to take thyroxine - 175gm per day.
Sheesh.
I was diagnosed diabetic due to the wrong test being done - it should have been a thyroid one - I have not had my thyroid level checked for well over two years now - I mentioned it at the last test, but it was apparently not on the list.

You have said in the past that your surgery has abandoned you, and you haven't had an HbA1c is a long time. Should you not be chasing this up? I know I would.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen that some surgeries do an annual health check on all their patients - but ours doesn't - there are no further tests scheduled for me.
It might be for being non compliant about the Metformin and statins, or simply that they are not able to cope with all the elderly people in the area - I'll maybe go in and get an update around my birthday in April. I used to go to the hospital for my thyroid tests, but I needed to have a test envelope from the surgery before I could do that.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have seen that some surgeries do an annual health check on all their patients - but ours doesn't - there are no further tests scheduled for me.
It might be for being non compliant about the Metformin and statins, or simply that they are not able to cope with all the elderly people in the area - I'll maybe go in and get an update around my birthday in April. I used to go to the hospital for my thyroid tests, but I needed to have a test envelope from the surgery before I could do that.

They are not following NICE guidelines, whether you are compliant or not. The diabetes care pathway says that initially blood test reviews should be 3 to 6 monthly. When bloods are satisfactory and stable, and medication is stable, they can be moved to 12 monthly. Retinal eye screening, blood pressure checks and foot checks should be annual. Bloods should include cholesterol and lipids, kidney and liver functions.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...ls/what-are-the-15-healthcare-essentials#hce1

You are on medication for your thyroid and that should also be checked regularly.

I suggest you chase it all up. It is your health.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I assume your diabetes clinic does do checks at least annually for your diabetes. When your GP prescribed the statins was it based on bad lipids ratios from a fasting blood test or was it the usual nonsense about using a formula and if you are diabetic you automatically have them prescribed. Do check with the GP why they were prescribed.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a check at 6 months from diagnosis and as it was 41 that puts me in the normal range - just.
I can stick to low carb, otherwise I'd be checking and bothering the surgery.
I'll definitely not let things slide - if anything, having to be aware that I am building my own future I am more cautious and determined than if I had regular checks scheduled - as I do not know when I might be tested I can act as though it might be any day soon.
The ratios for my cholesterol have always been good ideal or normal - I have never had a fasting test done.
My triglycerides were 2 at 80 days from diagnosis and 1.5 at 6 months, so I don't think I need to worry about the effects of fat.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sheesh.
I’m on Thyroxine and my levels get checked when I have my diabetic blood test.

membrew

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
lies
They are not following NICE guidelines, whether you are compliant or not. The diabetes care pathway says that initially blood test reviews should be 3 to 6 monthly. When bloods are satisfactory and stable, and medication is stable, they can be moved to 12 monthly. Retinal eye screening, blood pressure checks and foot checks should be annual. Bloods should include cholesterol and lipids, kidney and liver functions.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...ls/what-are-the-15-healthcare-essentials#hce1

You are on medication for your thyroid and that should also be checked regularly.

I suggest you chase it all up. It is your health.

Hello Bluetit

I recently had my annual blood tesing. I notice on the report from the hospital it indicates it was a non fasting test when in fact it was a fasting test. Does this make any difference to the results please?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Bluetit

I recently had my annual blood tesing. I notice on the report from the hospital it indicates it was a non fasting test when in fact it was a fasting test. Does this make any difference to the results please?

No difference at all. The only time we need to fast is if we are having cholesterol and full lipid panel checked because the triglyceride levels may be raised if we don't fast. Also if we are having a fasting venous glucose test (but in that case we would have been told to fast and it would be marked as such). The HbA1c and anything else thrown in it doesn't matter one way or the other. You did right to fast just in case it includes triglycerides.