Nail biting

EmilyRoseK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My 5 year old son keeps biting his nails and the skin around his nails, to the point that his not got any white tips on his finger nails. I need to get him to stop before he bites so low that he causes himself to get an infection or something. I asked the pharmacist but the “stop and grow” nail varnish contains sucrose so every time he bites his nails he will be basically biting sugar. Please any ideas are more then welcome!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have bitten my nails for over 60 years, with some periods when I stopped, for no reason I can give - being urged not to do it doesn't help at all - in fact it seems to make it worse sometimes.
I can't offer any advice at all on stopping - it happens, and then it starts again. The nasty tasting varnish did not help at all.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to bite my nails because they were rough or uneven, which made them worse. When I started cutting them short and using an emery board so they were smooth I stopped biting them. I was a teenager though, so a 5 year old might have to grow out of it but you could try filing his nails.

EmilyRoseK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to bite my nails because they were rough or uneven, which made them worse. When I started cutting them short and using an emery board so they were smooth I stopped biting them. I was a teenager though, so a 5 year old might have to grow out of it but you could try filing his nails.

His bit his nails so short that I can’t even file them down. And his starting to bite the skin around his nails too.