Just starting VLCD

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone,
Im just starting on a VLCD. Doctor has recommended it as a good way of shedding my pounds. Im a little worried about doing it at my age (75) but I it will get my weight down to a healthy range I hope!

Current weight is 11 stone 12 pounds. Height 5 foot 2". Female grandmother!!!

Wish me luck.
Im hoping that being a member of the forum will help my motivation levels and give me some good advice for tips and tricks with making vegetables taste not too dull.

MY PLAN
10.30 am one 200 calorie meal replacement bar
3pm one 200 calorie replacement bar
8pm 200 calories of vegetables and salads (broccoli, brussel sprouts etc)
9.30 one 100 calorie bar
11pm one 100 calorie bar

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello you!

I do indeed wish you the very best of luck. I understand a very low calorie diet can work wonders in a very short time, perhaps you could Goigle the Newcastle Diet and take a look at some of the success stories there to keep up your motivation.

Personally, I am on a long haul diet for life, I was diagnosed last August out of the blue. Since then I have been tinkering away with my menu and reading much on this site for hints and tips as well as finding motivation.

It would be good to see how you get on, I considered a VLCD but chickened out. I have doubts about sticking to it. Please do update!

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For Goigle, please read Google.

Goigle has something to do with New Yorkers and salt water, I think...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Low calorie has never been something I could do - I always went very pale - I am usually very pink, and then faint and wilting. Do ensure that you are not going to be on your own for long periods if doing this for the first time.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,
Im just starting on a VLCD. Doctor has recommended it as a good way of shedding my pounds. Im a little worried about doing it at my age (75) but I it will get my weight down to a healthy range I hope!

Wish me luck.
Im hoping that being a member of the forum will help my motivation levels and give me some good advice for tips and tricks with making vegetables taste not too dull.

MY PLAN
9.30 one 100 calorie bar
11pm one 100 calorie bar
Hi @89HysteriaCottage - welcome to the forum! I'm tagging @daisy1 who will be along soon with some great info for new forum users.
re. your VLCD - so far this is working for me. I recommend taking a look, if you haven't seen it already, The Blood Sugar Diet by Michael Mosley and also the recipe book that followed it - he really talks about the 800 calories a day process in detail and give low-carb recipes that will help fill you up and not spike your blood sugars. He uses real food rather than meal replacements - depends how you want to do it really – I've found low carbing has greatly reduced my appetite and enabled me to keep at a much lower calorie level than I've ever done on a diet before.
I have been following this at roughly at 950-1000 calories a day, so expect it to take longer for me, and have now lost 24 pounds in a couple of months. My blood sugars are improving, and a recent, 2 weeks after diagnosis, hba1c result showed my weight loss, as well as a low carb diet, is helping.
Check out the low calorie diet section here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-calorie-diets.24/ for lots more tips and info - you'll find help from members who have been doing it much longer than I have. My other tip would be to make sure you drink at least 2 litres of water a day as your body will have been used to getting some of its water from the food you ate, and drastically cutting it can lead to dehydration if you don't keep topped up with water.

Reactions: Pipp

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, the very low calorie diet worked for me too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

Wish me luck.

MY PLAN
9.30 one 100 calorie bar
11pm one 100 calorie bar

Have you considered low carbing instead? Just to say its out there and can assist greatly in weight loss and well as being sustainable.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you considered low carbing instead? Just to say its out there and can assist greatly in weight loss and well as being sustainable.

Well,it has to be sustainable.
'Cos you can't normally come off it can you?
Beaut of the low calorie thingy is you have a good chance of reversing your diabetes, so then you have a choice for what you eat.
My life is a lot easier if I can just nip into a service station, and eat anything I fancy on the day.
OP has decided to try low calorie, so good luck with the outcome.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Beaut of the low calorie thingy is you have a good chance of reversing your diabetes, so then you have a choice for what you eat.

You could say the same about the "low carb thingy" too.

Weight comes off, and because you are reducing the amount of insulin sloshing around inside you, your insulin resistance improves markedly as well.

You can even pass an OGTT if you follow a low carb diet for a while.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, whatever floats your boat.
Crack on if you like it.

I had a Nando's, chicken breast, in pitta, with garlic bread for last nights meal.
I'm up for a OGTT thing if you fancy a crack too?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Staying on topic:
@89HysteriaCottage Welcome. I note you have been advised by your GP regarding your choice of eating plan. Always a good start. I also note from your profile that you do not have diabetes, so you are following the Very Low Calorie Diet just as a weight loss regime, is that right?
You will most likely see quick results, but it is important to have a follow on plan for when you finish the VLCD and the suggestion of a different LCD makes sense. I.e., the Low Carb Diet. If you return to your previous eating regime, you will likely see most if not all of the weight you lost, and some, return.
For now, though, If you are using meal replacement products and vegetables important things to remember are:
Drink at least 2 litres of water a day
Add some oil to your vegetables to prevent formation or increase in size of gallstones
See GP regularly to check weight, Blood Pressure, and any adjustments needed to medications.

As for making the vegetables more palatable, use plenty of seasoning, herbs and spices. They make all the difference to soups and stirfries.
Perhaps looking for inspiration here would be of use:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-calorie-diets.24/

Oh and I do wish you luck.

Reactions: Runica and ziggy_w

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@89HysteriaCottage

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with your diet - though hopefully you shouldn't need it - determation to suceed is really a great incentive!

I'd agree with @Pipp's suggestion - it's well worth considering a low carb high(er) fat diet as a follow-on diet, when you come off your VLCD one. It's excellent for long term mainenance,and if you at some point check previous forum posts you should find that a number of people who have been on the similar very low calorie Newcastle diet have chosen to do this.

I've been eating and enjoying a very low carb diet since i was daignosed at the end of 2013, and I'm currently the same age as you.

Robbity

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with your diet - though hopefully you shouldn't need it - determation to suceed is really a great incentive!

I'd agree with @Pipp's suggestion - it's well worth considering a low carb high(er) fat diet as a follow-on diet, when you come off your VLCD one. It's excellent for long term mainenance,and if you at some point check previous forum posts you should find that a number of people who have been on the similar very low calorie Newcastle diet have chosen to do this.

I've been eating and enjoying a very low carb diet since i was daignosed at the end of 2013, and I'm currently the same age as you.

Robbity

Definitely.

I'm still on a lower calorie, (only 'cos I was a pig lol)
I can't say it's low carb, (I just made a cracking fresh loaf, but I am lashing butter on it)
But I did find it was easy to choose a diet I fancied after, mainly because I'd forgotten how to eat.

Tannith

BANNED
Hi everyone,

Wish me luck.

MY PLAN
9.30 one 100 calorie bar
11pm one 100 calorie bar
I did a lenient version of the Newcastle Diet. 900 to 1000 cals for three and a half months and though I lost only 11.5 % of my weight, I reversed my T2. HBA1C was 40, FBG 5.3. I was too chicken to do the 800 cal version and I used real food, not shakes etc. Prof Taylor, who developed the Newcastle Diet to reverse diabetes used shakes in his study to ensure all participants had the same no of calories, but did say that if you can do it with real food that's even better. Shakes are fine though and they do keep you out of the kitchen. Best of luck. Keep posting how you are doing.

Reactions: lindijanice