HELP!! How Many Carbs Per Day Do you think? Expert Advice Needed

speedking668

First week day 6 - Fasting reading - 6 , i did have 3 glasses of vodka and sugar free coke the night before so maybe this could have had some kind of impact ?

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I always have lower fasting levels after a drinking session, not recommended for long term control though.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The carb intake i listed is literally from cod fish from tescos and weetabix in the morning along with 75g of peanut butter
Cod doesn't contain any carbs, but maybe it came in batter or sauce which do? I shop at Morrisons where I buy frozen fish, a bag of Alaskan salmon £3 for 4 fillets and Alaskan pollock (a white fish a bit like cod but much cheaper) £2 for 4. (Alaskan fish is the least polluted, which does matter if one is going to eat fish often.) I then take the fillets out one by one as required and cook in a covered pyrex dish with a very little water in the microwave. They are done in as minute or two - you have to be careful not to over-cook.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will take vitamin D every day , possibly B , but im sure the kale will make up for the rest, if however the sugar level drops then i will be adding blueberries in to the blend
Vitamin D sounds a very good idea. It is recommended for all of us living in Northern climes. Vitamin B is also recommended for those of us who are avoiding eating foods made from grains. Congratulations on the kale. It has been on my "to eat" list for years, but I haven't quite risen to that level yet. Blueberries are promoted as a superfood, but I have read that it is the wild ones that are so nutritious, and of course it is the cultivated ones we mostly find on sale. Strawberries and raspberries are considered the lowest carb fruit, but rhubarb matches them and is in season right now. It is the only "fruit" on Dr Bernstein's "permitted foods" list. Personally I would not ruin berries by teaming them with kale, but that's up to you!

speedking668

Yes I always have lower fasting levels after a drinking session, not recommended for long term control though.

My fasting level was actually higher after the drinking session lol, that was the reading of 6, the reading of 5.6 was the day before. This could have been because i tend to smoke if i drink, and smoking does increase insulin but not sure just how long for.

Last edited:

speedking668

Vitamin D sounds a very good idea. It is recommended for all of us living in Northern climes. Vitamin B is also recommended for those of us who are avoiding eating foods made from grains. Congratulations on the kale. It has been on my "to eat" list for years, but I haven't quite risen to that level yet. Blueberries are promoted as a superfood, but I have read that it is the wild ones that are so nutritious, and of course it is the cultivated ones we mostly find on sale. Strawberries and raspberries are considered the lowest carb fruit, but rhubarb matches them and is in season right now. It is the only "fruit" on Dr Bernstein's "permitted foods" list. Personally I would not ruin berries by teaming them with kale, but that's up to you!

My plan is to test this plan out for 2-3 weeks and fine tune accordingly, im pretty sure i can nail the diet and get my numbers down to normal levels. Right now though im trying to get away with as many carbs as i can so ive set it to 100grams, for now per day, i will reduce them accordingly, perhaps by 25g every new testing cycle.

Im taking many minerals and supplements, ill go through a full list if things turn out successful but in fairness I think already things look like they are heading in to a better direction.

Btw im drinking Kale straight, nothing added

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well we are all different, I definately find that exercise and alcohol (not at the same time mind) both reduce my levels

Happyhomelands

Just a thought. I noticed that you said you sit still a lot at a computer. i was at a prrse presentation last week from an undergraduate meaduring glucose levels in sedentary jobs. Her trsults results showed significant reductions fe from gettong up and moving regularly for short periods of less than a minute. ive also seen this elrswhere. possibly reported by the bbc. Fantastic plan bte btw. i wish i could awitch from loath ti like exercise as exercise seems to impact bg more than diet for me. good luck

speedking668

So week 2 now , day 5 Fasting reading = 6.1

Note, this week i have done 0 activity, this is all based on diet, activity will start again today. Also if tomorrow It is not sub 6 I will reduce carbs further. <--- Changing this, due to the fact that next week my exercise will go up dramatically im interested to see what will happen, so i will attain the same amount of carbs and then if on week 3 the readings do not come down i will look in to reducing carbs my 20-30g until i hit a sweet spot

Last edited:

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish you luck in your pursuit, I am prediabetic and consume about 80-100g carbs a day. I've found it difficult to sustain any lower. My fasting level on a Tee2 meter is actually increasing to my astonishment. It was down to mid 5s but the last few weeks has been mid 6s. I've learned over the years that my fasting glucose fluctuates so much, mainly with length and quality of sleep but also type and time of dinner the night before.

Reactions: Brunneria

speedking668

I wish you luck in your pursuit, I am prediabetic and consume about 80-100g carbs a day. I've found it difficult to sustain any lower. My fasting level on a Tee2 meter is actually increasing to my astonishment. It was down to mid 5s but the last few weeks has been mid 6s. I've learned over the years that my fasting glucose fluctuates so much, mainly with length and quality of sleep but also type and time of dinner the night before.

That's interesting best thing to do is keep monitoring and figure out your own body.

Im a carb heavy guy, can easily eat 400g per day like it was nothing and im not over weight at all, im bang in the middle of my bmi.

But this week im full at it , clean diet and intense workout so i will see week 3 plays out, im expecting some kind of drop and if not then ill just lower the carbs, btw its easier to eat below 50g of carbs than you may think, I already have a 50g diet ready ( hoping i dont need to go this low ) which still gives me 2000cal per day so that i dont need to worry about losing weight that i dont want to.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was always being urged to eat healthy amounts of carbs and seeing my weight shooting up like crazy - so I have never been able to eat a normal diet. I could never eat few enough calories to lose weight, but the three days I did Atkins Induction at 20gm of carbs a day I lost 7lb and in those days I found that I was still losing at 80 gm per day - so it is a very individual thing which you need to work on in order to find out how to balance carbs and weight along with blood glucose.

speedking668

Fortunately for me i have no issue with gaining or losing weight as required, i just like carb foods they taste sooooo gooooood, but yeah this week is intense exercise week so will still keep carbs 90-100g and then knock off from there as needed.

speedking668

Week 2 day 6 - Fasting sugar - 6.0

Wont be taking one tomorrow as im flying out but will continue next week and give a day 5 6 7 reading, then based on that if the fasting sugars arent coming down ill lower carbs even further

Honeyend

I am lazy also, and most days I eat under a 100 carbs, and under 1500 cals. How long does it take to make an omelette with cheese, stir fry chicken with veg which you add a bit of soy sauce with ooomi or konjac noodle. Less time than it will take to wash the blender. My fry pan is my friend, its non stick so its never really washed, just wiped. I am a one pot cook.

speedking668

*update*

Had to change the dates around

So Week 3

Fasting sugars

Day 3 = 6.0
Day 4 = 5.9
Day 5 = 5.8

from next week im going to be making a few changes for experimental purposes and will see how these reflect the sugars, but alredy within 3 weeks my reading of 6.3+ appear to be gone.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My fasting level on a Tee2 meter is actually increasing to my astonishment. It was down to mid 5s but the last few weeks has been mid 6s.
Some people find that eating a small amount of something low carb and fatty last thing helps the morning fasting number, it is assumed because in the night it stops the liver from thinking that the level is too low and releasing glucose to remedy that. Some suggest a glass of alcohol last thing.