ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Small steps @Motherhen2014 I've landed myself with a possible gallbladder problem from a fast diet. I thought idI got away with it :(
Slow and steady works best.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Weighing stuff is only temporary. You only need to do it once for each type of food. I found it easier to measure by the spoonful after that. This is accurate enough, and counting things like berries, tomatoes and nuts. Once you know how much a spoonful weighs it becomes automatic. It really isn't impossible.
The worst one I dread is estimating lamb chops

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally I have never bothered to worry about the Carbs that are contained in vegetables, and I always eats tons of the stuff.

I couldn't cope with micro-managing my diet to that extent.
Lucky you! You can obviously get fantastic results without restricting your diet too much. No point at all in cutting carbs more than you need to, especially not in cutting healthy vegetables. But spare a thought for those of us who can't get results like yours even by cutting to under 20g carbs a day! I'm not just being obsessive when I weigh out my 50g allowance of spinach leaves.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
just a nut breakfast bar for breakfast of 8 carbs.
A nut bar must be super-convenient and quick when you are rushed in the morning, but 8 carbs makes a big hole in your proposed carb allowance. If you can manage to spare the extra time, a cheese omelette made with 2 large eggs will only "cost" you 1.20g carbs, or if you have more time the night before, you could have hard boiled eggs ready in the fridge. They are lovely with Hellman's Real Mayonnaise (the bought mayonnaise which is lowest in carbs, made with free range eggs and IMO delicious).

Reactions: Georgiee

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am finding it hard as it seems I have to have less of everything except meat cheese and butter I have been so depressed about it and want to make this work but if I have to weigh everything it seems impossible.
I do empathise. Sometimes it does seem as if it would be easier just to give up eating altogether! But IMO that is NOT the way forward!!! Have you tried the Eat Water Slim rice and pasta? Some love them and some loathe them, but IMO it's worth trying, especially as they are currently half price at Holland & Barratt. Only 9 calories & no carbs per 100g (which is about what you need for a portion and = half a packet). And NO COOKING! You just rinse them thoroughly and then warm up. https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/eat-water-slim-pasta-fettucini-60007573?skuid=007573
I am currently eating them twice a day, and having part of my plate filled up with something that really does resemble real rice or pasta makes such a different to how full I feel and my morale. Plus foods that contain zero carbs are precious.

Reactions: Brunneria

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I am finding it hard as it seems I have to have less of everything except meat cheese and butter I have been so depressed about it and want to make this work but if I have to weigh everything it seems impossible.
Hi @Motherhen2014 it does seem really daunting at the beginning but take it one step at a time. Trick is I found is to sit and plan a number of meals that come in at low carb - you can weigh and work it out I then keep mine in an ideas book with recipes that work or just combinations of food ideas - or why not do the diet doctor.com 2 week keto challenge which is free and has recipes and all the carb counting done? Once you’ve got some ok meals you can repeat them and then add new ones as you go along. You can join diet doctor but I found the free month was enough to get me going and you don’t need to be a member to use the recipes. Try to take it a day at a time and you will get there good luck

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not just being obsessive when I weigh out my 50g allowance of spinach leaves.
50g of spinach has 0.8g of carbs.. if you are aiming for 20g of carbs from spinach you could have well over a kilo of it. Are you doing your sums right?

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Weighing stuff is only temporary. You only need to do it once for each type of food. I found it easier to measure by the spoonful after that. This is accurate enough, and counting things like berries, tomatoes and nuts. Once you know how much a spoonful weighs it becomes automatic. It really isn't impossible.
Trouble us Bluetit I have either done weight watchers or slimming world where you can have as .uch vegetables and fruit as you want and so am finding it hard to adjust thought I had it ok till looked at net this morning, so it means undoing all I have been used to. I lost last week a d have put it back on this week. Nuts yes I understand counting.I have arthritis and am so very over weight swollen legs and really need to get a grip on this.Thank you for your reply.xx

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
50g of spinach has 0.8g of carbs.. if you are aiming for 20g of carbs from spinach you could have well over a kilo of it. Are you doing your sums right?
Do you weigh spinach or any vegetable dry or cooked please

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trouble us Bluetit I have either done weight watchers or slimming world where you can have as .uch vegetables and fruit as you want and so am finding it hard to adjust thought I had it ok till looked at net this morning, so it means undoing all I have been used to. I lost last week a d have put it back on this week. Nuts yes I understand counting.I have arthritis and am so very over weight swollen legs and really need to get a grip on this.Thank you for your reply.xx

I lost nearly 8 stones last year doing weight watchers - keeping things low carb at the same time. I didn't limit veg at all - in fact I ate lots and lots of veg, including root veg. Much more careful about fruit - but still 3 portions most days. So you might well be ok with veg.

Reactions: Motherhen2014

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I do, but I agree with Bluetit that after a while you just know roughly how a portion of anything you eat regularly looks. But sometimes it's just easier to weigh rather than make the effort to estimate, and also carb creep sets in pretty early with me, so it's safer to weigh. For foods like mayonnaise or pesto that come in jars, I weigh the jar before and after taking out what I want to eat. In this way I don't have to decide beforehand how much I want, and can go back for seconds and just weigh at the very end. However, usually I don't eat enough mayonnaise for it to matter.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your question. I usually prefer to weigh raw ingredients. Some people prefer to use cup measures, but I can't get my head round stuffing eg lettuce into a cup.

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you so Mich for your tip of weighing jar before taking out that's a brilliant idea and so helpful thank you.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
8 carbs makes a big hole in your proposed carb allowance. If you can manage to spare the extra time, a cheese omelette made with 2 large eggs will only "cost" you 1.20g carbs,

I’m sorry but Is it any wonder that so many people get so annoyed by Low Carb zealots ?

I think trying to encourage people to follow a Low Carb lifestyle is hugely important and will provide significant health benefits, but by making a huge fuss over a couple of carbs here and there will only put people off.

The only thing that is important IMHO and in my experience is avoiding high carb foodstuffs, and the rest will fall into place.

Talking about, or thinking about “carb allowances” is utter nonsense.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Motherhen, I used to live on fruit and low fat yoghurt and milk, and bread. Now I am aiming for <20g carbs a day so I can't have any of them. And it's amazing how quickly I have adapted. I am really enjoying my new way of eating, though I do wish I didn't have to be quite so mean with vegetables. I just feel a great pang of loss still
Thank you so Mich for your tip of weighing jar before taking out that's a brilliant idea and so helpful thank you.
The thing to decide is, will you weigh WITH or WITHOUT LID? You need a definite policy, because otherwise you may forget which you did at the start, which will obviously make a big difference at the end. I made tis mistake a few times. But perhaps I am just more forgetful than you/most, especially when around delicious food!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I weigh it uncooked.. although the details for meat is often quoted per cooked portion so I weigh that after cooking or (more usually) eyeball each portion. I've got quite good at it...

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m sorry but Is it any wonder that so many people get so annoyed by Low Carb zealots ?

I think trying to encourage people to follow a Low Carb lifestyle is hugely important and will provide significant health benefits, but by making a huge fuss over a couple of carbs here and there will only put people off.

The only thing that is important IMHO and in my experience is avoiding high carb foodstuffs, and the rest will fall into place.

Talking about, or thinking about “carb allowances” is utter nonsense.
If you take the trouble to read this thread, you will find that Mother hen wants to get down to 30g carbs daily. We have been trying to help her achieve her aim without suffering too much.

Reactions: britishpub

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sorry What is s IMHO and does not low carb go hand in hand with calories, I cannot exercise.
But I am going to keep trying.xx