breakfast

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
so i am confused , i always thought that weetabix and shredded wheat etc was ok , but now hearing different things , anyone help out on info please ?

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me, they absolutely aren't OK. Weetabix has added sugar. Shredded wheat doesn't (the only cereal I found that didn't) but even so the carbs in it made my BG rise terribly. I even had one breakfast with only five mini wheats and a tablespoon of milk and my levels went mad. I was hungry just a few minutes later. For me all cereals are a no-go and I have a couple of spoons of greek yoghurt.

Reactions: smokiejoe03

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see you are on insulin, so hopefully an insulin user will come along and help. Type 2's who are only diet controlled, or diet and metformin, have to be very careful how many carbs we have, and how many for each meal. I dont know about insulin using type 2's.

All the best.

edited for spelling.

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, they absolutely aren't OK. Weetabix has added sugar. Shredded wheat doesn't (the only cereal I found that didn't) but even so the carbs in it made my BG rise terribly. I even had one breakfast with only five mini wheats and a tablespoon of milk and my levels went mad. I was hungry just a few minutes later. For me all cereals are a no-go and I have a couple of spoons of greek yoghurt.
ok thats what i been hearing thanks

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the OP is on insulin.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @smokiejoe03 It really depends on how low carb you want to go! 2 weetabix biscuits is 26g carbs and 2 shredded wheat is 36g carb - then presumably you add milk? For me, that is too many carbs in one meal. I don't eat them as I'm pretty sure they would send my BG through the roof. I eat to my meter and if you have a meter, I suggest you test your BG pre and post eating these.
Obviously it's all personal choice, but I like to keep my BG as low as possible and therefore I eat low carb. For example I aim for a maximum of 5g carb for breakfast (greek yoghurt with berries and seeds), 15g carb for lunch (soup), and 15-20g carb (fish or chicken, salad and a small quantity of potato) for dinner. Snacks are cheese or nuts.

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I see you are on insulin, so hopefully an insulin user will come along and help. Type 2's who are only diet controlled, or diet and metformin, have to be very carful how many carbs we have, and how many for each meal. I dont know about insulin useing tyep 2's.

All the best.
to be honest , ive only started this week on a low carb diet, and my levels have gone done quite a lot compared to previous weeks/months,, so i am starting to learn whats what,, getting more help and advice from this forum in the last week or so than from drs and diabetic nurses ,,,

Reactions: ianpspurs

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
to be honest , ive only started this week on a low carb diet, and my levels have gone done quite a lot compared to previous weeks/months,, so i am starting to learn whats what,, getting more help and advice from this forum in the last week or so than from drs and diabetic nurses ,,,
can you tell us if you are still on insulin please? it makes a difference to the type of advice you are given.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are on insulin you need advice from fellow insulin users. Much depends on the type of insulin regime you are on, whether you understand how to carb count and alter your doses accordingly etc. You can easily hypo if you go low carb without knowing what you are doing with your insulin.

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @smokiejoe03 It really depends on how low carb you want to go! 2 weetabix biscuits is 26g carbs and 2 shredded wheat is 36g carb - then presumably you add milk? For me, that is too many carbs in one meal. I don't eat them as I'm pretty sure they would send my BG through the roof. I eat to my meter and if you have a meter, I suggest you test your BG pre and post eating these.
Obviously it's all personal choice, but I like to keep my BG as low as possible and therefore I eat low carb. For example I aim for a maximum of 5g carb for breakfast (greek yoghurt with berries and seeds), 15g carb for lunch (soup), and 15-20g carb (fish or chicken, salad and a small quantity of potato) for dinner. Snacks are cheese or nuts.
as i said already to be honest , ive only started this week on a low carb diet, and my levels have gone done quite a lot compared to previous weeks/months,, so i am starting to learn whats what,, getting more help and advice from this forum in the last week or so than from drs and diabetic nurses ,,

Reactions: ianpspurs

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, this may be a silly question, but how do you know that? The OP doesn't have a signature and I can't see that information anywhere?
if you click on his name, and then click on 'information' on his profile page, it says he is using novomix 30. I always try to check on what meds someone is on these days, before offering advice.

novomix30 can cause hypos, especially if he is lowering his carb intake without adjusting his dose after talking to his medical care team.

Reactions: smokiejoe03

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
if you click on his name, and then click on 'information' on his profile page, it says he is using novomix 30. I always try to check on what meds someone is on these days, before offering advice.

novomix30 can cause hypos, especially if he is lowering his carb intake without adjusting his dose after talking to his medical care team.
Thanks!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
as i said already to be honest , ive only started this week on a low carb diet, and my levels have gone done quite a lot compared to previous weeks/months,, so i am starting to learn whats what,, getting more help and advice from this forum in the last week or so than from drs and diabetic nurses ,,
It is great that your levels are getting better. However, you will need to talk to your medical team as your insulin is at a certain level to deal with a certain amount of carbs, and you are at risk of hypos if you dont get advice on what is the right amount for you to have with a low carb diet.

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As you are on insulin you need advice from fellow insulin users. Much depends on the type of insulin regime you are on, whether you understand how to carb count and alter your doses accordingly etc. You can easily hypo if you go low carb without knowing what you are doing with your insulin.
ah ok,, as i said ive only just started carb counting from monday , and so changed what im eating aswell,
so from monday ive had scrambled eggs 3 mornings this week and 1 crumpet the other 2 mornings
taken cooked chicken thighs and salad 3 days for lunch and had seeded low carb bread chicken sandwiches for lunch
evening meals have been grilled salmon with steamed vegs twice , smoked haddock with veggies, i had a pastabol with brown pasta and dodgy one haddock fishcakes last night which spiked me to 11.8 but all the other stuff kept my levels low

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It is great that your levels are getting better. However, you will need to talk to your medical team as your insulin is at a certain level to deal with a certain amount of carbs, and you are at risk of hypos if you dont get advice on what is the right amount for you to have with a low carb diet.
but thats the bit thats confusing me, there saying do have this and dont have that , so when i stuck to it, my levels were spiking all the time,, but since ive taken a few tips from the people on here , they have been very good lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Record all your food in a diary and write your levels down alongside, then make an appointment to see your doctor/nurse and discuss your new diet regime with them with a view to changing the dose of your insulin. That is all I can advise. Other than test, test, test, regularly to make sure you stay above 5.

EDIT. When reading what others eat on this forum you need to remember many aren't on insulin, and many of those that are have an insulin regime that allows them to alter their own doses according to the carbs eaten.

smokiejoe03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Record all your food in a diary and write your levels down alongside, then make an appointment to see your doctor/nurse and discuss your new diet regime with them with a view to changing the dose of your insulin. That is all I can advise. Other than test, test, test, regularly to make sure you stay above 5.

EDIT. When reading what others eat on this forum you need to remember many aren't on insulin, and many of those that are have an insulin regime that allows them to alter their own doses according to the carbs eaten.
ok thank you i will do that ,, many thanks again

Reactions: Bluetit1802