Celebrating hitting target of 3 stone lost thanks to LCHF way of eating and forum support

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with diabetes in May 2015 with an Hbac1 of 97 (11) at the time I was officially obese weight 13 stone and six pounds (85.27 kg) and put straight on 2x Metformin
I was no stranger to losing and gaining weight so when advised to lose some I went on my usual low calorie and low fat diet which initially did work
September 2015 hbac1 was 41 and weight was 11stone 5pounds ( 72.12 kg) just overweight bmi at 25.6
Subsequently over next few checks kept adding on a point to my hbac1 and slowly getting heavier despite sticking to official diet advice so
May 2017 hbac1 was up to 47 and weight had crept up to 12 stone 6 pounds - overweight bmi at 28
Struggling by end of summer and getting worried then discovered the low carb programme
September did low carb programme and lost 10 pounds
October and November got really motivated - joined this forum, and started adding in intermittent fasting including four weeks of one meal a day fasting from mid october to mid November. By end of November 2017 was down to 10 stones and 7 pounds almost two stone off. Came off my 2 x Metformin in early November as fasting meant was having tummy problems when took Metformin!
Mid December hbac1 had gone down to 33 and had lost more than two stone.
Today - Feb 23rd hit my three stone target (set last September) so now weigh 9stone and 6 pounds ( 59.87kgs) my BMI is now officially healthy at 21.3 and my hip to waist ratio is 0.79 so all good.
Need to wait till May for next hbac1 but starting to have some blood glucose finger pricking tests in the late 3s and average in mid 4s so if carry on with this way of eating my hbca1 may well be lower!
Sorry for long post and detail but I felt it important to show the difference between low fat and lCHF - for me the low fat diet seemed to have stopped working but a mix of lCHF and intermittent fasting over the last six months has taken me back to the weight last seen in my early twenties! It’s worked for me - I found last couple of months the weight was harder to shift but I was determined. I also know it’s going to be hard to maintain but I love this new way of eating and my new shape and overall health on no medications at all now so why would I ever want to go back to eating the way I did before.
I must also say the support on this forum has been invaluable and I just wished I’d found it when first diagnosed thank you all couldn’t have done it without you all.

Last edited:

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fantastic, @shelley262, well done! Really wonderful results. 'Sorry for long post and detail...' Absolutely no need for apologies - it's great to read your positive message and also about how you got to where you are. Celebrate with the goodie of your choice! :)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with diabetes in May 2015 with an Hbac1 of 97 (11) at the time I was officially obese weight 13 stone and six pounds (85.27 kg) and put straight on 2x Metformin
I was no stranger to losing and gaining weight so when advised to lose some I went on my usual low calorie and low fat diet which initially did work
September 2015 hbac1 was 42 and weight was 11stone 5pounds ( 72.12 kg) just overweight bmi at 25.6
Subsequently over next few checks kept adding on a point to my hbac1 and slowly getting heavier despite sticking to official diet advice so
May 2017 hbac1 was up to 45 and weight had crept up to 12 stone 6 pounds - overweight bmi at 28
Struggling by end of summer and getting worried then discovered the low carb programme
October and November got really motivated - joined this forum, and started adding in intermittent fasting including four weeks of one meal a day fasting from mid october to mid November. By end of November 2017 was down to 10 stones and 7 pounds almost two stone off. Came off my 2 x Metformin in early November as fasting meant was having tummy problems when took Metformin!
Today - Feb 23rd hit my three stone target (set last September) so now weigh 9stone and 6 pounds ( 59.87kgs) my BMI is now officially healthy at 21.3 and my hip to waist ratio is 0.79 so all good.
Need to wait till May for next hbac1 but starting to have some blood glucose finger pricking tests in the late 3s and average in mid 4s so if carry on with this way of eating my hbca1 may well be lower!
Sorry for long post and detail but I felt it important to show the difference between low fat and lCHF - for me the low fat diet seemed to have stopped working but a mix of lCHF and intermittent fasting over the last six months has taken me back to the weight last seen in my early twenties! It’s worked for me - I found last couple of months the weight was harder to shift but I was determined. I also know it’s going to be hard to maintain but I love this new way of eating and my new shape and overall health on no medications at all now so why would I ever want to go back to eating the way I did before.
I must also say the support on this forum has been invaluable and I just wished I’d found it when first diagnosed thank you all couldn’t have done it without you all.
Well done a great achievement you must be so pleased.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is amazing news - you should feel very proud of yourself! Please don't apologise for a long post with detail - I LIVE for the long, detailed posts on here where members share how they've succeeded in reducing their hbA1c's and/or losing weight - I learn something from every one of them - thank you for showing how things worked for you, very inspiring!

Reactions: Prem51

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really well done, @shelley262 - Personally, I think it's important that members like yourself tell their stories. One of the things that really, really got to me when diagnosed was the lack of hope seemingly given to T2s. The concept of "this is as good as it gets" was what got to me most.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Really well done, @shelley262 - Personally, I think it's important that members like yourself tell their stories. One of the things that really, really got to me when diagnosed was the lack of hope seemingly given to T2s. The concept of "this is as good as it gets" was what got to me most.

Definitely.
The way to get reversal of type 2, and have a normal diet, and get back onto normal food, from loads of posts on here inspired me.
This site rocks.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
September 2015 hbac1 was 42 and weight was 11stone 5pounds ( 72.12 kg) just overweight bmi at 25.6
May 2017 hbac1 was up to 45 and weight had crept up to 12 stone 6 pounds - overweight bmi at 28
Well done you. I was lucky to find this site immediately I was diagnosed and have got things back under control in just three months. It shows it works doesn't it?

Reactions: Prem51

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is amazing news - you should feel very proud of yourself! Please don't apologise for a long post with detail - I LIVE for the long, detailed posts on here where members share how they've succeeded in reducing their hbA1c's and/or losing weight - I learn something from every one of them - thank you for showing how things worked for you, very inspiring!
@eggs11 thank you. I just wish I’d found this site sooner and/or that I hadn’t gone along with the low fat healthy eating advice for the bulk of my life which led me to too much weight and diabetes - all that fruit and fruit juice plus low fat products! Good luck with your own progress.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you yes the lack of expectation from the medical professionals can make you feel hopeless. But I suppose they give out their message of move more, eat less (and especially less fat) and eat more fruit and vegetables and then seem to think when it dosent work over time it’s us not sticking to it! I can honestly say I did follow the advice to the letter but things were steadily becoming worse again despite doing what I thought was all the right things........... we all need hope that we can change things and this site and lCHF advice works

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@eggs11 thank you. I just wish I’d found this site sooner and/or that I hadn’t gone along with the low fat healthy eating advice for the bulk of my life which led me to too much weight and diabetes - all that fruit and fruit juice plus low fat products! Good luck with your own progress.
I hear you - been doing low-fat diets on and off since the age of 15 and am convinced they helped cause my diabetes. It also completely destroyed my relationship with food so I felt guilty if I ate 'normal' food. Enjoyed a little clotted cream with my raspberries yesterday and it felt like a victory!