So here I am...

MrTickle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and greetings to all,

I have various bloods monitored regularly for another long standing health condition I have (thankfully, fully under control) and which I was told that I was borderline/pre-diabetic on previous visits, I received notification this time that my latest HbA1c has jumped up to 55, and my consultant has suggested I speak to my GP about being tested for DM.

Given my next clinic visit will be in 6 months (well 5 and a bit now), and presumably a GP would get the same result on an HbA1c test right now, I've decided to try and make lifestyle changes to bring it back down before my bloods get re-run in the summer. If the number is the same or higher at that point I will go to get formally diagnosed, although with various other hospital visits in my life, I could do without another set. Plus I could really do without adding any additional medication into the mix if I can help it. I already get most stuff (lipids etc) monitored regularly, have periodic eye-doctors check-ups and so on, so it's really just a case of trying to bring my blood sugars back into control, and keep them there.

I am overweight, and have a stressful managerial job which means I don't get much time for exercise plus have an aversion for anything vaguely described as 'healthy food', so I'm a prime candidate really. Oh, and I smoke too but am transitioning over to vaping with a view to phasing that out over time.

I've had a good rummage around the forums and it sounds like low-carb is the way to go. This isn't an alien concept to me as I did Atkins for a few months, probably a decade ago. I got on okay with it and saw results, and aside from some kidney discomfort (needed to drink more water!) I was fairly content. I used those ketostix things to do urinalysis to check that I was still in ketosis - I remember the struggle I had trying to source those and being laughed at in Boots for trying it at all - and over time I had even worked out some junk-food that didn't kick me out of ketosis (even surprising stuff like some KFC chicken, tandoori mixed grill, fish with no chips etc). Of course my primary goal wasn't to reduce blood sugar back then.

The other thing I remember is when I fell off the wagon. A friend wanted to go TGI Fridays and I thought 'Why not, just for today' so binged on carbs. Within 15 minutes of starting my car to go home I was pulling into a petrol station due to a craving for crisps. That was pretty scary how significant the change back was, and it always put me off trying again, lest I just put the weight back on.

Doesn't look like I have much of a choice now though. So I may pop up with stupid questions from time to time, and some (hopefully) not stupid ones too. I'm pretty numbers-savvy which I think helps here, plus I have an Accu-Chek monitor which I bought last year when I first was told about being 'borderline'. Checking at the moment after waking I'm about at 7.0, and I checked post-prandial today after a meal and it went from 6.9 to about 8.0 2hrs later. So some work to do but I hope that regular monitoring myself will be able to show a downward trend over time, and allow me to rule in or out certain food when I do need to take some carbs on - almost impossible not to in my line of work. My plan is to reduce carbs to around 100g/day for the first month whilst I'm experimenting, and then get down to <50g/d after then which should see me have a good run at trying to get a more favourable HbA1c. The logic is that if that does happen, then I will be fully in-tune with the new diet by then which SHOULD make it easier to keep to this time. Time will tell.

Anyway, very longwinded, but basically just saying 'Hello' :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @MrTickle and welcome to the forum! You have done well to find this forum and understand that low carb is the way to go.
Your plan sounds good, and as your reading of 55 mmol/L isn't very high, and you should be able to get it down at least to pre-diabetic, if not non-diabetic level by the summer. Many people on here with higher HbA1c readings than yours have done so.
Well done on giving up smoking too!

If you have any questions just ask, the people on here are friendly and supportive.

Reactions: pleinster

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @MrTickle and welcome to a brilliant forum. I will tag @daisy1 who will kindly post the information for newcomers. :)

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Hi and greetings to all,

I have various bloods monitored regularly for another long standing health condition I have (thankfully, fully under control) and which I was told that I was borderline/pre-diabetic on previous visits, I received notification this time that my latest HbA1c has jumped up to 55, and my consultant has suggested I speak to my GP about being tested for DM.

Given my next clinic visit will be in 6 months (well 5 and a bit now), and presumably a GP would get the same result on an HbA1c test right now, I've decided to try and make lifestyle changes to bring it back down before my bloods get re-run in the summer. If the number is the same or higher at that point I will go to get formally diagnosed, although with various other hospital visits in my life, I could do without another set. Plus I could really do without adding any additional medication into the mix if I can help it. I already get most stuff (lipids etc) monitored regularly, have periodic eye-doctors check-ups and so on, so it's really just a case of trying to bring my blood sugars back into control, and keep them there.

I am overweight, and have a stressful managerial job which means I don't get much time for exercise plus have an aversion for anything vaguely described as 'healthy food', so I'm a prime candidate really. Oh, and I smoke too but am transitioning over to vaping with a view to phasing that out over time.

I've had a good rummage around the forums and it sounds like low-carb is the way to go. This isn't an alien concept to me as I did Atkins for a few months, probably a decade ago. I got on okay with it and saw results, and aside from some kidney discomfort (needed to drink more water!) I was fairly content. I used those ketostix things to do urinalysis to check that I was still in ketosis - I remember the struggle I had trying to source those and being laughed at in Boots for trying it at all - and over time I had even worked out some junk-food that didn't kick me out of ketosis (even surprising stuff like some KFC chicken, tandoori mixed grill, fish with no chips etc). Of course my primary goal wasn't to reduce blood sugar back then.

The other thing I remember is when I fell off the wagon. A friend wanted to go TGI Fridays and I thought 'Why not, just for today' so binged on carbs. Within 15 minutes of starting my car to go home I was pulling into a petrol station due to a craving for crisps. That was pretty scary how significant the change back was, and it always put me off trying again, lest I just put the weight back on.

Doesn't look like I have much of a choice now though. So I may pop up with stupid questions from time to time, and some (hopefully) not stupid ones too. I'm pretty numbers-savvy which I think helps here, plus I have an Accu-Chek monitor which I bought last year when I first was told about being 'borderline'. Checking at the moment after waking I'm about at 7.0, and I checked post-prandial today after a meal and it went from 6.9 to about 8.0 2hrs later. So some work to do but I hope that regular monitoring myself will be able to show a downward trend over time, and allow me to rule in or out certain food when I do need to take some carbs on - almost impossible not to in my line of work. My plan is to reduce carbs to around 100g/day for the first month whilst I'm experimenting, and then get down to <50g/d after then which should see me have a good run at trying to get a more favourable HbA1c. The logic is that if that does happen, then I will be fully in-tune with the new diet by then which SHOULD make it easier to keep to this time. Time will tell.

Hi. Ask whatever comes up as you set about getting that HbA1c down. You will always get a response here. it's good you have a meter and a plan. I would advise you to keep a record of your readings before and about 2 hours after eating...along with a note of the food you ate. It will inform you and give you info to use when discussing things with your doctor etc. Good luck.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@MrTickle

Hello MrTickle and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And Hello to @MrTickle
Sounds like you have a plan.. sounds like it should work just be careful that while on 100g of carbs you don't go overboard on the "treats". Depending on your personality the lowering of carbs over time may be a good strategy although for me as an all or nothing kind of person found that cutting out as many as I could at the start was useful. I was then intending on experimenting with adding them back over time but so far have managed to not need to do that so stay under about 20g per day comfortably.
Depends if you find it easier to stick to things once started.

Reactions: Liam1955

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did exactly what you’re planning with low carbing. I started by keeping under 100g carbs/day for the first six eeeks. My blood sugars came down steadily but then plateaued and weren’t as low as I’d wanted, so I reduced to between 50-70g/day. My HbA1c was 70 on diagnosis and I got it down to pre diabetic level in 2 months, then non diabetic level in another 2 months. Reducing my carbs in a stepped approach broke me in gently to low carbing and I avoided ‘carb flu’ which some folks get if they drop too far too quickly. Best of luck with your life style changes, I’m sure it’ll be of great benefit to you.

Reactions: Prem51 and Liam1955

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Are you aware of the diagnositic criteria for type 2?
Quite a few docs seem to interpret them variously, but this is the NHS version
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/type-2-diabetes/diagnosis/
I have quoted the section on HbA1c numbers below.

In 2011 the World Health Organization (WHO) recommended that HbA1c could also be used to help diagnose type 2 diabetes in people who aren't known to have the condition.

An HbA1c level of 6.5% (48mmol/mol) or above indicates type 2 diabetes.

Although there's no fixed point to indicate when someone has pre-diabetes, a UK expert group has recommended that an HbA1c level of 6-6.4% (42-47 mmol/mol) would indicate that a person has a high risk of developing diabetes.

You can read more about the HbA1c test on the Lab Tests Online UK website.

The HbA1c gives the average blood glucose reading over the last couple of months.

In light of this, I would not wait several months before seeing your doc. I would make an appointment now, and take a copy of your last HbA1c test of 55 to show at the appointment. I would also start getting my head around the fact that while diet and exercise and stopping smoking are all excellent things, and may help you to get your blood glucose levels down, then they will not make this issue go away. If you make major lifestyle changes and wait 6 months and turn up for testing you may elude the official diagnosis. However, those changes must be sustained - for life. Lapsing will cause your blood glucose to rise again, and by avoiding a diagnosis you would be missing out on necessary checks and tests (foot and neuropathy and eye testing).

I strongly urge you to get that diagnosis now, then turn your life around and then (if possible) reverse your diagnosis.
It will give you greater support and care from the NHS in the long term.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that is a good idea, starting off with 100 carbs. When you cut out any obviously rubbish foods (ie, the crisps/sweets/cakes/processed stuff and so on) you are already reducing the carbs by hundreds with no effort at all. Then of course, you can decide how low to go following that.

Reactions: Prem51

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and greetings to all,

Hello (long winded too so put your feet up and read on)
I’m a fairly new member to this forum, I joined in Nov but have only just started to use it actively, I used it as a research tool initially.
I was diagnosed in Oct, completely out of the blue and it was a massive shock. HbA1c test came back with a result of 95 (10.8) by the time I had my first appointment with my diabetic nurse and she did a finger prick test with me which read 9.1 obviously high but considering I had eaten porridge for breakfast (wasn’t aware that this was a possible no no at this point) I was hopefully moving in the right direction. Wasn’t encouraged to test or do anything other than a eat well balanced diet and increase exercise.
It took me a couple of days to get my head around the diagnoses and initially I followed her advice, fairly liberal calorie controlled diet which included fruit and jacket potatoes, started swimming a couple of times each week and by Christmas I had lost just under a stone. New Year arrived, I was now more in control of the emotional impact this diagnoses had had and I took it upon myself to revisit the research I had done. Everything kept directing me back here and the emphasis seemed to be Low Carb so I started to change my diet and food choices, out went the potato and fruit in came the eggs, bacon and cheese. Hardest was cutting out bread, I love fresh bread and the convenience of toast for breakfast as you rush out the door! It’s taken a while and lots of trial and error but I have found that the Lidl protein rolls are Ok and also LivLife seriously seeded bread sold in Waitrose. I swapped the swimming for some HiiT training, done at home no equipment needed and gradually reduced my carb intake from around 80-100g per day to 70. I had my first check up 6th Feb my HbA1c has come down to pre diabetic level 45 I’m 3 stone lighter, swimming again and I am walking everyday during my lunch break, just 20 minutes but brisk pace. Carbs now maximum of 50g per day. The nurse was amazed at my results, she asked what I had done, mentioned the LC and she wasn’t surprised, really wish the NHS would get on board with this! I test regularly and see my average as 5.5 it hasn’t been higher than 6.2 for over a month. I am now going to start testing myself with some additions to my diet such as fruit.
Good luck with your journey, there are lots of people here to ask about any concerns or to answer questions, I’m happy to help if I can

Reactions: Prem51

MrTickle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In light of this, I would not wait several months before seeing your doc. I would make an appointment now, and take a copy of your last HbA1c test of 55 to show at the appointment. I would also start getting my head around the fact that while diet and exercise and stopping smoking are all excellent things, and may help you to get your blood glucose levels down, then they will not make this issue go away. If you make major lifestyle changes and wait 6 months and turn up for testing you may elude the official diagnosis. However, those changes must be sustained - for life. Lapsing will cause your blood glucose to rise again, and by avoiding a diagnosis you would be missing out on necessary checks and tests (foot and neuropathy and eye testing).

I strongly urge you to get that diagnosis now, then turn your life around and then (if possible) reverse your diagnosis.
It will give you greater support and care from the NHS in the long term.

I am aware that by waiting 6 months I may elude an official diagnosis, however this is what I want to happen. If I wasn't already in a routine with medical checks I would absolutely go to the doctor now, but as I explained - I get regular HbA1c tests currently, also have all manner of other bloods, including Lipids, Kidney, Liver function and so on taken. I am on a schedule for eye testing too, and so the only thing I would be missing is foot testing, however as neuropathy is something seen with my other condition, I am aware of the risks with that (which hopefully will be less, if I am below the threshold).

I am regularly monitoring BG via the monitor as well, as this wouldn't change regardless of what happens in six months.

My view is that if I am below the threshold, then I need to maintain my lifestyle change (perhaps with a little relaxing here or there, which I can monitor the effects of), and if I am not controlling it well then I will go to the doctors and look at other ways (meds) to control.

I've not got my head in the sand over this. I know that I would get a current diagnosis of T2 if I went to the doctors right now, and I know that controlling it doesn't equal 'curing' it either. I'm in it for the long haul whatever happens.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and greetings to all,

Hope this helps
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb