Anyone remember these syringes?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
As you can see, some of this goes back to 1959! I'm trying to download a photo of R.D.Lawrence's The Diabetic ABC which I'm pretty sure is what @kevinfitzgerald is talking about. The carbs were in red type and all else were in black! Note the foil needle case in the older syringe box, also made by Hypoguard of Trimley, near Felixstowe. The Everett syringes were pre U100. All in my mad diabetic museum - I can't leave go!

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
As you can see, some of this goes back to 1959! I'm trying to download a photo of R.D.Lawrence's The Diabetic ABC which I'm pretty sure is what @kevinfitzgerald is talking about. The carbs were in red type and all else were in black! Note the foil needle case in the older syringe box, also made by Hypoguard of Trimley, near Felixstowe. The Everett syringes were pre U100. All in my mad diabetic museum - I can't leave go!

Yep I am definitely looking for it later. I don't think it is the ABC. If I were any good with IT things I would be able to show a picture of it..

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
upload_2018-2-24_13-41-15.png

At last @kevinfitzgerald !

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
I really admire and have great respect for all of you T1s who have suffered and endured so much over the years!
Thank you! I think ALL diabetics have some inner pride for dealing with a relentless aggressor. Good luck!

Reactions: nessals946 and Dodo

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
A great pleasure which is apparently a swelling of the neck @Jaylee I'm going to have another shot at the book for @kevinfitzgerald

Found it. It is actually 1971 (well nearly 50 years old) It called Living with Diabetes (A guide for new Diabetics) Issued by the Welcome Foundation. Great photos of a woman injecting into her thigh and photos showing all the different types of Insulin Vials we used back then.

The standard insulin syringe was the B.S 1619 (I think that's the year! Ha)

I also have a 1957 Household Encyclopedia from 1957 with the list of foods "not allowed" Included are "all starchy foods including bread, potatoes, pasta, rice (see they had low carb already sorted in 57 Ha!) Veg such as peas, carrots, parsnips, broad beans, cabbage, beetroot, all fruit!!! milk, ale, spirits............................ Water and Air.... That was a joke!.

Just for info before Diabetes in this book is DERBYSHIRE NECK (or Goitre) which apparently is a swelling of the neck just below the Adams Apple and unbelievably is most common in young females!!!!!!!! It honestly sates that!!!!

And after Diabetes in this book is DIANTHUS which is a compact Border Plant....

Well I never!......

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Found it. It is actually 1971 (well nearly 50 years old) It called Living with Diabetes (A guide for new Diabetics) Issued by the Welcome Foundation. Great photos of a woman injecting into her thigh and photos showing all the different types of Insulin Vials we used back then.

The standard insulin syringe was the B.S 1619 (I think that's the year! Ha)

I also have a 1957 Household Encyclopedia from 1957 with the list of foods "not allowed" Included are "all starchy foods including bread, potatoes, pasta, rice (see they had low carb already sorted in 57 Ha!) Veg such as peas, carrots, parsnips, broad beans, cabbage, beetroot, all fruit!!! milk, ale, spirits............................ Water and Air.... That was a joke!.

Just for info before Diabetes in this book is DERBYSHIRE NECK (or Goitre) which apparently is a swelling of the neck just below the Adams Apple and unbelievably is most common in young females!!!!!!!! It honestly sates that!!!!

And after Diabetes in this book is DIANTHUS which is a compact Border Plant....

Well I never!......
I'm not sure what "A great pleasure which is actually a swelling in the neck" is about!! How the hell did that happen?!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
View attachment 25398
Don't forget the Palmer Injector. Many a time the needle would shoot off the end of the syringe!
I remember that being advertised in the British Diabetic Association Magazine for 29s/6d which is £1.47.5p before inflating the price to today's money. When you think that you could buy a 4 fingered KitKat for 2.5p then, it makes you realise what you'd pay for sheer mental torture!

Reactions: McLoui

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Strangely I actually loved cleaning mine. Boiling it and taking it apart as though it was a riffle (though I've never taken apart a riffle, but I've seen it on TV!) I was diagnosed in 1981..

I can not understand why anyone in the 1980's would boil syringes or needles as the industrial spirit kept everything sterile I was diagnosed in 1965 and can not remember ever having my needles or syringes boiled.

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I can not understand why anyone in the 1980's would boil syringes or needles as the industrial spirit kept everything sterile I was diagnosed in 1965 and can not remember ever having my needles or syringes boiled.

Most probably because my father always used to do it (he would have been diagnosed around 1945)
and I just followed suit as it was just something "Dad did"

I had one of those plastic sky blue syringe holders also which I'd have industrial spirit in the bottom of to keep the needle sterile so I was, of course, aware that would do the job but as stated it was something my father always did. I think his attitude was "if you boil it your making sure"

He was my strength when I was diagnosed. He lived his life without ever complaining about his condition so following what he did back then I never questioned.

That is why :)

Last edited:

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No Internet ,or forums ,in those days. If there had been, the discussions would probably, be about the cost of plastipak syringes, and when they would be available on the NHS. Now 30 years on its the libre. Nothing changes.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in awe of all the people who had to live through diabetes in years gone by.
I started with the plastic syringes at the start of the 90's and they was bad enough. Some of the contraptions you guys and gals had to use seem barbaric nowadays.
Hard to believe that nowadays some complain that the 4mm needles hurt. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: