23 weeks baby’s tummy measuring big

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

So I had my scan at 23 weeks and baby’s tummy was measuring almost on the 97th percentile at 24+2 days. Legs were measuring a bit bigger and head was right on gestation.

I’m being scanned again in 3 weeks, but I seem to have big babies!

I’m type one.

My first son was 11lb 1oz at 38 weeks
Hba1c 6.5% or 47 (injections)
My angel son was 2lb 13 at 27 weeks
Hba1c 5.8% or 41 (pump)
This pregnancy Hba1c was 6.0% or 42 now 5.7% or 38! (Pump)

Should I be concerned??

I’m worried about everything this pregnancy after the pregnancy with my son who passed and this just seems t add to the list. (Arlo’s passing was not related to diabetic complications.)

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would not put absolute faith in the scan - my daughter in law was told all sorts of things about the size of her last baby - the poor thing was going to be a very strange shape and rather on the large size - when she arrived, after the birth being induced she was exactly the right size shape weight - and of course absolutely adorable. No large skull, large chest or short legs, everything was exactly on the 50 percent measure.
I suspect that it is not an exact science.

Happyhomelands

Hi all,

So I had my scan at 23 weeks and baby’s tummy was measuring almost on the 97th percentile at 24+2 days. Legs were measuring a bit bigger and head was right on gestation.

I’m being scanned again in 3 weeks, but I seem to have big babies!

I’m type one.

My first son was 11lb 1oz at 38 weeks
Hba1c 6.5% or 47 (injections)
My angel son was 2lb 13 at 27 weeks
Hba1c 5.8% or 41 (pump)
This pregnancy Hba1c was 6.0% or 42 now 5.7% or 38! (Pump)

Should I be concerned??

I’m worried about everything this pregnancy after the pregnancy with my son who passed and this just seems t add to the list. (Arlo’s passing was not related to diabetic complications.)
Easier said than done but try not to worry. 97th Centile simply means that out of 100 babies yours is one of the largest. Put another way if 100 babies were lined up, yours would be at the end, and 3 babies would be bigger.
Of my 3 babies, the middle was the most natural delivery, he was the largest at just under 12 pounds. He is still the tallest, a strapping 6 foot 3 rugby player. I had not been warned about his size, thank goodness.
Try to enjoy your pregnancy and some special only child time.

Reactions: myarnton1

jade88

Hi Tweety88

Have same problem babies tummy measuring over 95th per centile at last scan currently 35 weeks and also carrying too much fluid!

Similar to you my control and hbac1 has been good throughout so I guess we just have to accept that even with good control diabetics can have bigger babies!

Can’t imagine how hard it must be for you after everything you have been through but at least they have picked up on it early and hopefully they are monitoring you closely! xxx

Reactions: Happyhomelands

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had this with my little girl, over a year ago now. She was always measuring 3/4 weeks ahead, and her tummy in particular was large. But when she was born she was all in proportion, her tummy was not large and she weighed a lot lighter than we were expecting. According to the scans, she should have been about 9lbs when she was born (36 weeks exactly) and she was actually 7lbs 8 xx

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya @jade88, I was induced at 35+5 as my blood glucose kept going low for no particular reason, and this can be a sign of placenta failure. It ended in emergency csection as baby’s heart rate went very high during labour xx