ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
You can ask for a referral via gp for some psychological support to try and turn this around. Have you had this condition for a long time?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a short term control (as opposed to a longer term solution, could you consider smaller shops, to limit your ability to binge on available food?

How do you deal with food in the freezer? Do you cook and eat, or is the issue with fresh or packaged foods, readily available to eat immediately?

Reactions: cdpm

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ive posted about this problem before. This is what I wrote:
Leptin is a hormone (the fullness signal hormone) that is released by fat cells so the more fat on you the more Leptin is made and you tend to feel full as a result.

People who are type 2 tend to be also Leptin resistant besides Insulin resistant. With type 2 more Leptin is made if you put on weight but the receptors in your brain become resistant to the signal. So a vicious circle of hunger and weight gain occurs.

Unlike Insulin (which is another message hormone) however; injecting people with Leptin does not make these receptors finally accept the signal.

If you are lucky you wont have put much weight on but are still probably "Leptin resistant"
I'm not sure what to suggest to control it,
I would guess something to do with ratios of fat, protein and carbs in the food you eat. But I don't know enough about this, hopefully someone reading this can advise.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
You can ask for a referral via gp for some psychological support to try and turn this around. Have you had this condition for a long time?

ive had an ed since my teens
and it has changed over the years
not eating in my teens enough to
land in hospital briefly
then in my 20's excessive exercise (4 hours daily)
then a baby in my 30's then when weaned at 2
(breastfeeding) binged/purged with ipecac and laxatives
until late 30's until now just binging
until my bad food list got down to no safe foods

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
As a short term control (as opposed to a longer term solution, could you consider smaller shops, to limit your ability to binge on available food?

How do you deal with food in the freezer? Do you cook and eat, or is the issue with fresh or packaged foods, readily available to eat immediately?

i cook anything that needs cooked
like meats frozen veggies
but readily available is easier
and more tempting

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
In what way have you lost control?

and when i have food that i brought in
if i know i am going to lose control over it
i throw it all away
which then leads to feeling totally awful and guilty
but if i eat it all i feel guilty too
and a sense of losing control

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
im very grateful i havent had any problems
using my insulin
but my biggest fear is that i wont be allowed to continue
deciding the insulin doses even though i havent had
major problems with using it
is that going to happen?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
ive had an ed since my teens
and it has changed over the years
not eating in my teens enough to
land in hospital briefly
then in my 20's excessive exercise (4 hours daily)
then a baby in my 30's then when weaned at 2
(breastfeeding) binged/purged with ipecac and laxatives
until late 30's until now just binging
until my bad food list got down to no safe foods
Bless you.
I guess now you know what's wrong it should be much easier to assess and support by medical bods?
Whose helping you, medically?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
and when i have food that i brought in
if i know i am going to lose control over it
i throw it all away
which then leads to feeling totally awful and guilty
but if i eat it all i feel guilty too
and a sense of losing control
It sounds very damaging to your mental health. Whose going to help you from here on in? Any psychologist been offered hun?

Reactions: Alison Campbell

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bless you.
I guess now you know what's wrong it should be much easier to assess and support by medical bods?
Whose helping you, medically?

i dont have a dr
i see a dr at a walkin clinic

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It sounds very damaging to your mental health. Whose going to help you from here on in? Any psychologist been offered hun?

no one is helping (outside some family)
because im too afraid to push for help
because i have asked before and nothing happened
( i asked a dr a few years ago be4 it got to this point)
it seems as though because i dont starve or puke
there's nothing wrong with my eating?
so from here not sure whats going to happen

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
There may be some direct self-help assignments on-line? Obviously it won't be as good as 1-2-1 help, which in Canada may be expensive.
If I get time i'll have a look around the www for you.
Try self help psychological search still i I can too?

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There may be some direct self-help assignments on-line? Obviously it won't be as good as 1-2-1 help, which in Canada may be expensive.
If I get time i'll have a look around the www for you.
Try self help psychological search still i I can too?

thankyou
much appreciated

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey cdpm, I can understand a bit of what you are going through as I discovered that I have BEWP - Binge Eating Without Purging....It is a real thing! Doesn't get the press like bulemia or anorexia, but Docs are now realizing that a large group of people suffer from this. It does take a lot of hard inner work to come to grips with something like this, but it can be done and it can be controlled to the point that it is not destructive to your health and well being and psyche....

By inner work, I mean taking a good hard look at your life from earliest memories to today....Make a timeline of times when you were rewarded or punished with food for example. How did you feel when you were rewarded or when you were punished? What comments were made to you, like "you are a bad girl for not eating your parsnips" or "you were a good girl tonight"....Write everything down that comes to mind....It may be that there are darker things in your life that you have not let be exposed to the light of day.

One of mine was starving. As a very young girl we were very, very poor and many, many times went for days being hungry. We often depended on neighbors' good will as my father drank his paychecks away...After the divorce and living in several foster homes, food was used as reward and punishment and I was an independent little miss and was often denied meals. In my adoptive parents' home food was plentiful but I was afraid to enjoy but would eat as much as I could because somewhere in my little head I was telling myself that there may not be another meal!! This went on for years! Once you start seeing some of these things in black and white, sometimes the light bulb will go on and you can see a pattern. Once you recognize what is going on you can do something about it - like have the Hubby do the grocery shopping or put locks on certain cupboards if you need that an extreme intervention untli you get things under control....

Our relationship to food is so very complex and convoluted that it often takes some outside intervention to assist us to see what is going on. If you live in Canada, there are hotlines that you could call that are for people who are in distress. If you go to Church, perhaps there is a person there who could help you get connected to some professional help. At the walk in clinic, if you explain your situation, perhaps they could make a referral to a dietitian. I don't know your financial situation, but there are private dietitians who work with people such as us as well.

I wish you all the best and keep us posted as to how you are doing....sometimes I come on the Forum when I am wanting to much and the devilishness in my head says I need that food or I am a loser so go ahead and pig out, harm yourself - you deserve it! By coming on the Forum it changes my thought pattern as I read others' struggles and successes - great therapy for me! Thank you Forum! Blessings/L

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am the same as @lindijanice . Hungry childhood, abusive home life etc etc. And the binge eating without purging. Counselling helped me a great deal in linking my childhood fears and hunger etc with my eating patterns, so did talking to others who had experienced similar things. Please keep posting, you are not alone in this and people are supportive and nonjudgmental on here.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
no help so far
also am schizo affective
so hard to go by bus to shop
daily too much activity with all the people
corn beef can yesterday
same today
leaves a can of tuna left
for tomorrow
and having to reduce insulin to prevent hypos
but grateful for the understanding that i need to reduce it
and doing that

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey cdpm, Just wondering how you are doing.....haven't seen an update for a bit now....any new developments? Feeling any more control over things? You are in my thoughts and trust that you are able to give us an update. We really are here for you and want you to succeed with your diabetes....it can't be easy with everything you have to deal with, but, one day at a time is all any of us can do, right? Hang in there - Hugs&blessings/L