Soused Herrings with a difference

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
When I was a lad I loved the soused herrings my mum used to cook. She soaked them in vinegar and baked them in the oven.
When I was diagnosed and found this site I realised that herrings are a fantastic food for diabetics, so I soused some herrings in the oven. They tasted great, but my wife nearly kicked me out of the house. She loathes vinegar and the smell drove her mad.

So I now souse them in white wine. Here is my simple recipe:

Two herrings gutted with the heads removed. (Supermarkets will do this for you and they will leave any roe in if you like it)
Salt
Pepper
Fresh parsley or basil to taste.

Place the herrings in a shallow ovenproof dish and half cover with two parts white wine to one part water. Add a tablespoon of vinegar if you don't mind the smell.
Cover the dish with loose fitting tin-foil.

Place in the oven at 200 degrees for 90 minutes. (This is longer than most recipes state, but the extra cooking time softens the small bones so that they can be eaten. (This is not an ideal dish if you have a fish-bone phobia!)

Serve hot with vegetables or a side salad. Delicious, very low carb and rich in good fats and minerals.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't cook soused herring.
They're eaten raw, that's why the house stank of vinegar when you baked them.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You don't cook soused herring.
They're eaten raw, that's why the house stank of vinegar when you baked them.
It's a good job my mum's not alive to hear you say that. She would have boxed your ears.
Yes, the Scandinavians eat them raw, but this is Britain and here we cook things properly.
clear.png

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was a lad I loved the soused herrings my mum used to cook. She soaked them in vinegar and baked them in the oven.
When I was diagnosed and found this site I realised that herrings are a fantastic food for diabetics, so I soused some herrings in the oven. They tasted great, but my wife nearly kicked me out of the house. She loathes vinegar and the smell drove her mad.

So I now souse them in white wine. Here is my simple recipe:

Two herrings gutted with the heads removed. (Supermarkets will do this for you and they will leave any roe in if you like it)
Salt
Pepper
Fresh parsley or basil to taste.

Place the herrings in a shallow ovenproof dish and half cover with two parts white wine to one part water. Add a tablespoon of vinegar if you don't mind the smell.
Cover the dish with loose fitting tin-foil.

Place in the oven at 200 degrees for 90 minutes. (This is longer than most recipes state, but the extra cooking time softens the small bones so that they can be eaten. (This is not an ideal dish if you have a fish-bone phobia!)

Serve hot with vegetables or a side salad. Delicious, very low carb and rich in good fats and minerals.

Goodness, this brings back memories for me too. :D
My mother’s family are Cornish, and mackerel baked in vinegar (soused) was a weekly thing. Haven’t done it myself in years.

Had a quick google and this recipe is just about identical to my memory. Whole mackerel, onion, peppercorns, baked in an open dish, heads on, then served cold.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp..../nigel-slaters-classic-soused-mackerel-recipe

I like rollmops (soused raw herring) too. But they are very different.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It's a good job my mum's not alive to hear you say that. She would have boxed your ears.
Yes, the Scandinavians eat them raw, but this is Britain and here we cook things properly.
clear.png

LOL.... you go ahead eat em however you want.

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Goodness, this brings back memories for me too. :D
My mother’s family are Cornish, and mackerel baked in vinegar (soused) was a weekly thing. Haven’t done it myself in years.

Had a quick google and this recipe is just about identical to my memory. Whole mackerel, onion, peppercorns, baked in an open dish, heads on, then served cold.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp..../nigel-slaters-classic-soused-mackerel-recipe

Oddly, I tried it with Mackeral for the first time tonight. The bones are a bit tougher than with herrings, so you have to pick them out rather than just chew and swallow them, but they taste really good. I can't think of a better way to eat oily fish.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
clear.png

I'll be trying them.
Your mum's way.

D

Deleted member 308541

I prefer to eat rollmops, we buy a couple of jars every shopping day.

Never did like cooked soused herrings, I prefer to put the vinegar on afterwards.