Struggling to get bloods down

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@lt1v14 Just about everyone has given you good information. I would add to buy some kitchen scales. It really helped me get used how much of a certain food was a typical portion. For instance, How much is 40g of porridge ? How big is a 125g carrot etc. After a while you get used to foods and don't have to weigh them. Also, with the low fat yoghurt you need to look at the carbs as well as the sugar. Generally, the sugar will be a sub-heading under the carbs since sugar is a carb anyway. It's all carbs and not just the sugar you need to worry about.

Everyone is different but as a general rule I try to limit my carbs to 30g of low GI per meal and less if the GI is higher. This may be a little higher than some people here but that's just my physiology. Only with your own meter will you be able to work this out. It sounds daunting and hard at first but you're in a good place here and it does get easier. For Christ's sake, don't rely on the nurse and 90 day a1c tests solely. You need to take personal control.

Glenn

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I will go out and shoot myself for after looking at the diet doctor all the things I enjoy eating are bad for me O deary me

After 6 months on a low carb diet your tastebuds will have changed so much, you'll be wondering why you ate all that rubbish!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On the low carb diet you get the steak or chicken, the lamb chops, pork crackling and plates of meat with - for instance mushrooms and cauliflower or courgettes - maybe a nice salad with tuna or smoked fish and berries and cream are good for quite a few of us.
I tested with a meter only to find that I needed to stick to the same diet which kept my weight steady for years, I might have been diabetic for a very long time - but I would never have known it.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After 6 months on a low carb diet your tastebuds will have changed so much, you'll be wondering why you ate all that rubbish!
Actually it took less than 6 WEEKS for my tastebuds to change radically. Vegetables I would have turned up my nose at in the past suddenly tasted delicious. Of course the liberal amounts of grated cheese and butter I am now allowed, even encouraged to put on them may have made a difference!

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Very true. I had some pizza the other day I used to love and didn't like it at all. It just doesn't taste good to me. I crave cheese and nuts now when I get hungry

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love the taste of roasted cabbage, to me it tastes sweet now. I am finding mushrooms have a totally different taste, even boring brocolli has a different taste now that I am not killing my tastebuds with all the carby rubbish.