old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
Hi Guys and Girls
Having now had my TEE 2 meter for about a week now, I am still not sure if I am doing things right, and I hope someone can help. I take a reading when I get up and about half hour before breakfast then take another reading about 1.5 hours -2 hours after The same applies to every meal so far (Morning Lunch and Tea) is this correct? and does the reading in the morning count as fasting? or simply before meal? (Breakfast) as I find the first reading is always about 5.5- 9.0 my second reading after breakfast is always high over 7 in most cases, and has spiked to 11 on the odd occasion, I have 1 slice of toast with olive oil spread and at lease 2 cups of tea with no sugar, just tried cutting out the toast and had 2 boiled eggs this morning and its the first time it had dropped to below 7. but my real question is as stated am I doing this right?????
Many thanks
Old Sparky

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys and Girls
Having now had my TEE 2 meter for about a week now, I am still not sure if I am doing things right, and I hope someone can help. I take a reading when I get up and about half hour before breakfast then take another reading about 1.5 hours -2 hours after The same applies to every meal so far (Morning Lunch and Tea) is this correct? and does the reading in the morning count as fasting? or simply before meal? (Breakfast) as I find the first reading is always about 5.5- 9.0 my second reading after breakfast is always high over 7 in most cases, and has spiked to 11 on the odd occasion, I have 1 slice of toast with olive oil spread and at lease 2 cups of tea with no sugar, just tried cutting out the toast and had 2 boiled eggs this morning and its the first time it had dropped to below 7. but my real question is as stated am I doing this right?????
Many thanks
Old Sparky
Yes. Just before meals and 2 hrs later. I wouldn't bother with testing when you get up until you have the meals under control.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Ideally take your pre meal reading just before you eat, minutes rather than half an hour. I do mine when I sit down to eat. Fasting readings are the last to show improvement so do not worry about those too much at this stage but you should take a fasting reading as soon as you wake and try not to do anything strenuous before you take the reading i.e no rushing about getting ready for work etc.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Cutting out the carbohydrate is doing it right - that is the major source of your blood glucose spikes.
Usually blood glucose is checked just before you eat and then two hours from your first bite. It is quite arbitrary really, but it gives a snapshot of where you were and where you got to, so you can see if you are making good progress. Usually a meal with a moderate amount of carbs - I like a stir fry of courgette mushrooms and sweet pepper several times a week, will not push your readings up more than two whole numbers. If you can get your second reading under 8mmol.l that is good - though it might take a while to trim down to that. Once I managed that I stuck to the same meals and saw my numbers continued to go down. I felt I had more energy by then so I might have been running about more, or it could just be my metabolism picking up speed again. I had to change my diet completely from the 'healthy' high carb diet I was on but it was worth it to see how baffled the doctors and nurses were at my good results.

old sparky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ball sports
Hi Guys and Girls
Tried out testing 5 mins before eating lunch, salad with raw mushrooms and onions and sliced ham, complete with a smidgen of coleslaw, got to be less than 5 g of carbs right?
tonight will be loin chops and veggies but no spuds, so yes the eating plan is doing well, lost almost a stone, but put on 2 lbs on holiday, now losing that too soon.
Thanks for your input it is much appreciated.
by the way I have created my own spread sheet to see how things are going.