Anyone remember these syringes?

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hard to believe that nowadays some complain that the 4mm needles hurt. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I was surprised seeing that size earlier, I seem to have 12mm ones (I thought it was a standard length :p) so I'll be asking the diabetes centre about shorter ones as I never go thru clothing but worry 50 000+ jabs will have left too much scar tissue to go shorter.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can not understand why anyone in the 1980's would boil syringes or needles as the industrial spirit kept everything sterile I was diagnosed in 1965 and can not remember ever having my needles or syringes boiled.
It was recommended every few weeks to boil them and then put them back into the spirit.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was surprised seeing that size earlier, I seem to have 12mm ones (I thought it was a standard length :p) so I'll be asking the diabetes centre about shorter ones as I never go thru clothing but worry 50 000+ jabs will have left too much scar tissue to go shorter.
I was very sceptical when I was first offered 4mm needles. Didn't think they would be long or robust enough for a thick skinned, gnarly old ****** like me. Strangely they are great, no problems whatsoever. Apparently just about everyone's skin comes about the same thickness.
Definitely give them a try, no real need to pinch and give opportunity to inject in less " fatty " parts.

Reactions: Dodo and kev-w

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Made me laugh too, I had forgotten all about them, didn't have one myself as didn't think I would have been able to cope with the surprise element and lack of control ha ha

Yeah, I just had this thought of this needle flying across the room and stabbing someone in the eye! Obviously that wouldn't be funny but the thought of it just makes me laugh...

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd the Palmer Injector when I was a kid in the mid 1960's and couldn't pull the trigger. Only used it once and it scared the h**l out of me. There was another device called the Hypoguard Automatic Injector. It was a tube-like thing made of stainless steel. I found it a wee bit better to use but it's kind of hard to describe how it worked. Grant, do you one in your collection?

Bill

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I'd the Palmer Injector when I was a kid in the mid 1960's and couldn't pull the trigger. Only used it once and it scared the h**l out of me. There was another device called the Hypoguard Automatic Injector. It was a tube-like thing made of stainless steel. I found it a wee bit better to use but it's kind of hard to describe how it worked. Grant, do you one in your collection?

Bill
Hi Bill, In spite of the fact that I have always had a deep fear of the needle in all forms - even writing this makes the back of my knees vanish, I couldn't face something like this and sadly therefore don't own one. It would be fascinating to know if anyone in the forum has one. Maybe we should set up some kind of Museum thread? All the best
Grant

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes totally agree totally barbaric but I always hoped things would change and.I a m so glad.they have!
How dare anyone complain about 4mm needles when we had it so hard in those dark days !
Type 1 48 yrs!!!

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...

Bill

Was it in two pieces? You banged it hard against your site and the inside went through the outer tube like squishing up a telescope, by then the needle was in....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! I was never offered the Palmer Injector or the hypo guard thing..

Which was just as well. I got memories of the needle occasionally left in my scrawny 8 year old leg when it popped off the glass syringe & wondering what the heck I do now.. :banghead:

Happy days.. :)

TopoGigi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
Yes, how daunting was that! I remember boiling my syringes and using the 'Rand Rocket' non disposable needles and can still smell the industrial methylated spirit !

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
It was recommended every few weeks to boil them and then put them back into the spirit.

was it something to do with the insulin building up a "sticky" residue on the plunger, then it would jam mid injection (can I say jam on here??)

Reactions: Dodo

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
was it something to do with the insulin building up a "sticky" residue on the plunger, then it would jam mid injection (can I say jam on here??)

Oddly enough. I found the action on the plastic syringes when injecting, smoother than the older glass models that seemed to loose the "glide." (More like a dry scrape of an old windscreen wiper.)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup - that was my first syringe :) Things have come a long way.

I had forgotten how dinky it was though... except for the needle obviously ;)

IMG_8898.JPG

IMG_8895.JPG

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was it in two pieces? You banged it hard against your site and the inside went through the outer tube like squishing up a telescope, by then the needle was in....
That's the one, Grumpy ole thing! Tomorrow I'll go look for some pictures of it. Their was a kind of 'ridge' inside it which when you pushed hard and over it, the needle which was concealed went in.

Bill

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Bill, In spite of the fact that I have always had a deep fear of the needle in all forms - even writing this makes the back of my knees vanish, I couldn't face something like this and sadly therefore don't own one. It would be fascinating to know if anyone in the forum has one. Maybe we should set up some kind of Museum thread? All the best
Grant
Cheers Grant,I will go hunting and see what I can find.

Bill

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Takes me back all these pics and.thoughts.
I really started something putting that pic on didn't I!!
Ha ha
What a great idea! Thanks

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
]
No it was more like a gun with a trigger. The device you mean came before. I hated it, my dad had to do it for me and it was actually worse than simply sticking the needle in manually.

Something like this if I remember correctly.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 328
Last edited: