Reversed diabetes

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent news. Can I ask how long you have been T2 and are you on the LCHF diet?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Those are pretty good numbers.
41 is equivalent to 5.9% in old money which is just scraping in below the level for pre-diabetes of 42.

I would take a deep breath, though, before you consider this "reversal". You are maintaining good blood glucose control but a lot depends on how you are achieving this. My best to date is 5.8% / 40 but this is through diet and exercise and I am still absolutely T2 diabetic.

On that basis I would seriously consider keeping on the Metformin for the moment because it has a number of other alleged benefits including increased longevity.

Please tell us what you did (and how long it took) to get those really good results. Then we can argue over whether you have had a reversal (which is wonderful) or you have achieved outstanding control (which is also pretty **** good). :)

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Quite by coincidence I saw my GP this morning as I was a bit concerned that after stopping gliclazide last month my own BG readings had shot up. She'd previously said that I was 'diet and exercise controlled' and was either pre-diabetic or in remission. To me it really doesn't matter the terms that are used, it simply suggests that my D is under control and not progressing. It doesn't mean I'm 'cured', but does indicate I've got good control at present.
The Doc (lovely wee lass) also said that the marked rise in my own BG test results was due to being over-medicated befoer I stopped the meds and that she expected my next HbA1c to confirm I was still well controlled and in the pre-diabetic/non/diabetic range.
She also said I was a very fit and healthy 71 year old! Had a 20 mile bike ride and lemon slice to celebrate!!

VinceUK

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Selfishness, conceited and arrogant people.
I was diagnosed T2 on 29th September 2017, HbA1c was 78 and weight was 98 kilos. put on Metformin supposedly 2 x 500mg daily but I only ever took one daily, I didn't read the instructions properly as usual. :angelic:
What a wake up call.
I immediately put myself on a Low Carb/ High Fat/ High Protein diet
Result at my 1st review on Jan 2nd, 2018 I wieght was done to 82.9 kilos and my HbA1c was 33 with cholesterol at 3.
I was told that was an amazing result and thet I had reversed my T2 Diabetes. Chuffed? absolutely.
I consider myself as in remission not reversed and I stilll folllow thet Low Carb diet.
My next review will be in June I hope the results are still the same.
Diet and exercise now no Metfornin
Testing regularly which I think is vital to controlling your BG Levels.
:)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I was diagnosed T2 on 29th September 2017, HbA1c was 78 and weight was 98 kilos. put on Metformin supposedly 2 x 500mg daily but I only ever took one daily, I didn't read the instructions properly as usual. :angelic:
What a wake up call.
I immediately put myself on a Low Carb/ High Fat/ High Protein diet
Result at my 1st review on Jan 2nd, 2018 I wieght was done to 82.9 kilos and my HbA1c was 33 with cholesterol at 3.
I was told that was an amazing result and thet I had reversed my T2 Diabetes. Chuffed? absolutely.
I consider myself as in remission not reversed and I stilll folllow thet Low Carb diet.
My next review will be in June I hope the results are still the same.
Diet and exercise now no Metfornin
Testing regularly which I think is vital to controlling your BG Levels.
:)

Well done that man! What a transformation.

Reactions: VinceUK

Deepshika

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went for my results at the diabetic nurse and she says I have now reversed my diabetes. The figure was 41 (down from 64), she is going to speak with the doc about taking me off Metformin (1 x 500 tablet twice daily). I am quite happy now.

Don W

That is just excellent news. I hope you stay off the meds and live a healthy life.