Meds and fasting.

DawnyBlue81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People! Animal Cruelty
Hi Guys, I have a quick question. Does anyone do the intermittent fasting? I was wondering do you still take ur meds while fasting? The reason I ask is that my meds say take with food. But when I'm fasting till 12 (doing 16/8) Should I still take my morning meds or wait till I eat? I'm interested to see if it will help me get my ds down that final couple points? Thanks x

bluevalley07

Hi Guys, I have a quick question. Does anyone do the intermittent fasting? I was wondering do you still take ur meds while fasting? The reason I ask is that my meds say take with food. But when I'm fasting till 12 (doing 16/8) Should I still take my morning meds or wait till I eat? I'm interested to see if it will help me get my ds down that final couple points? Thanks x

Check your medication and what are the side effects. Some medications have the effect of hypoglycemia( low blood sugar) and you would need to eat meals with your meds. Also, Check your blood sugar during fasting to know the levels, in the morning, at lunch and at evening. Insulin is still being produced by the pancreas and would cause a fall in bs as well. Hypoglycemia is bs 70mgdl or less, when it reaches this level you begin to feel the symptoms like hunger, nervousness, cold and clammy hands, confusion. Some of us have blood sugar elevations inspite of fasting also, so we may need to take medication even at fasting.

Reactions: Olufisayo

DawnyBlue81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People! Animal Cruelty
I'm on a slow release metformin. Glucophaze it's called I'm on 2 x 500mg twice daily morning and evening x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe the reason for taking Metformin with food is to minimise the risk of tummy upsets. Other than that I don't think it matters, but maybe take your morning one with a drink containing some milk or cream?? I fast from evening meal to the following lunch time (17 or 18 hour fast) but I always have a coffee with cream as soon as I get up. I don't take any meds. My reason for doing this is to keep my levels low and stop them rising during the morning. Sorry, but I have no experience of taking meds to pass on.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on a slow release metformin. Glucophaze it's called I'm on 2 x 500mg twice daily morning and evening x
I initially took Metformin whilst fasting but ended up having to give up the Metformin as had bad tummy probs and my blood sugar had gone quite low anyway. You need to test your blood sugars to see how well you are doing. I don’t believe it’s dangerous to take it ie no risk of hypos when you fast and take it but do feel that in some cases certainly mine it makes digestive probs more of an issue. I’m now off met completely as hbac1 is 33 and happily continue to fast two days a week. Good luck idea of coffee and cream when taking it may work I did a strict fast nothing dinner to dinner.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the intermittent fasting and stopped taking the metformin due to incessant digestive issues.
Seemed to work pretty well for me.

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do 16:8 and am on Metformin and gliclazide, I just either take them with a coffee in the morning or wait until I eat at 10am - I haven't noticed any difference and have no issues. That said I don't think Metformin does much for BG's anyway in my case :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Only with food.

Taken without food in tummy can kick off the severe side affects. Some are never right after that.
Be warned.

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on SR, and seem to cope well. I can take it with or without food, no problems. We are all different. All I can suggest is you try without food, but be wary of the known side effects and don't stray too far from the porcelain!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
metformin can safely be taken at any time of day with or without food. But most people get fewer side effect if they take it with food and spread the dose out between meals. Lots of people find that a handful of salad leafs is enough food to stop the side effects, and the salad leafs do not reduce the benefits of fasting.. (I don't get the side effect even when I have no food with Metformin and take all my Metformin at the same time.)

(If you get the side effects, stop the metformin for a few days until the side effects have stopped, then restart it, slowly increasing the dose and taking it with food.)

Lorraine deer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Big crowds
16/8 fasting do you have to stop insulin to start using fat ?
I’m on day 4 fasting and my blood sugar is not below 8

Last edited: