rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Hi Folks,

I was refused a meter by my diabetes nurse. I was told they are not accurate. However I want to know whats going on!
Can anyone recommend a unit that is accurate or more accurate than most

thanks in advance

Rab

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are all about the same level of accuracy but if you want to test then you should probably try for one with the cheapest strips as that is the expensive part. Here's a prepared piece I have about the cheapest meter s to run on an ongoing basis.

I use the SD Codefree from

https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/

(or telephone: 01923 711511)

for the SD Codefree meter, which costs £12.98 or:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/

(or telephone: 0116 2865000)

who distribute the TEE 2 meter, which is free.

The cost of testing comes down to the ongoing charges for test strips and lancets.

For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:

5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49

10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98

For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available

Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips. For the bulk discount on strips for the SD Codefree, you need to complete the order (check the boxes to confirm that you are diabetic and the number of packs that you want). Then click on view basket and on the left hand side of the window you will see two boxes .. Coupon Code and Apply Coupon. Enter the relevant discount code in the first box and then click the Apply Coupon box. This applies the discount and adjusts the price .. and finally, you then proceed to checkout.

I should add many thanks to @AM1874 Who compiled this useful guide.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Folks,

I was refused a meter by my diabetes nurse. I was told they are not accurate. However I want to know whats going on!

thanks in advance

Rab
abbotts Freestyle mini great meter with an excerlent back up by abbotts.

Reactions: rab5

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

If they're not accurate why do they give them to people on hypo inducing treatments?! :rolleyes:

What's going on? Apparently only a hypo will kill you and as there's no chance you'll have one so you don't need a meter, but of course the NHS is there for you when you need expensive treatment of the complications you will get...........:oops:

go with what bulkbuilder has said.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Im new to all this......

what meter reading do I want..... mmol/L or reading in mg/dL
I have only had an Ac1 reading from the doctor

cheers
Rab

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im new to all this......

what meter reading do I want..... mmol/L or reading in mg/dL
I have only had an Ac1 reading from the doctor

cheers
Rab
Sorry should have said.. in the UK we use mmol/l for daily readings

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Ordered he SD Codefree meter and ancillaries

Now to try and take charge of what is happening with my body

Big thanks for all your help in this.

Rab

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks,

thanks in advance

Rab
It's very odd - if you're a type 2 on oral meds or diet only, you don't need to test for various reasons, e.g. your nurse says meters aren't accurate, others say that testing hurts your fingers, etc, etc... Tthere's a whole string of often nonsensical reasons we have been given, but they somehow magically don't apply to T1 diabetics who really do need their meters to test.

The rmain reasons why we have to self fund are generally those of cost, and my GP was honest enough to say so... Meters themselves are pretty cheap and they are often given away free, but it's the ongoing cost of strips that become expensive, as @bulkbiker has told you.

Robbity

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's very odd - if you're a type 2 on oral meds or diet only, you don't need to test for various reasons, e.g. your nurse says meters aren't accurate, others say that testing hurts your fingers, etc, etc... Tthere's a whole string of often nonsensical reasons we have been given,
I think the problem is that medical professionals are very often compassionate people who want to do their very best for patients. So they can't cope with the idea that they are being used to impose cost cuts that are not at all in their patients' interest. They are in denial, and since there are really no good reasons why motivated T2s should not test, they have to make up pathetically weak ones.

NikiMilligan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks,

thanks in advance

Rab
An old article, but still useful: https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2013/07/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy-comparison-chart/

I don’t check that frequently at the minute as diet control is working for me, but just did it today.
Fasting 6.7 (wth?) ate even more sparingly.
2 hr 7.8... hmm should have been lower (remember, ate sod all!) - used different meter... 5.8!!!
So one of my meters has gone belly up and I’m hoping it’s the high one, but I’m on new meds so really up in the air! Only way to check - yup it’s going to have to be a THIRD meter for me!
My message is - don’t rely on one - it - or the strips - can go bonkers :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
An old article, but still useful: https://www.diabetesdaily.com/blog/2013/07/blood-glucose-meter-accuracy-comparison-chart/

I don’t check that frequently at the minute as diet control is working for me, but just did it today.
Fasting 6.7 (wth?) ate even more sparingly.
2 hr 7.8... hmm should have been lower (remember, ate sod all!) - used different meter... 5.8!!!
So one of my meters has gone belly up and I’m hoping it’s the high one, but I’m on new meds so really up in the air! Only way to check - yup it’s going to have to be a THIRD meter for me!
My message is - don’t rely on one - it - or the strips - can go bonkers :)
This too is a 2 meter household.
16th February fasting CF (Codefree) 7.4 retest CF 5.1 retest TEE2 5.6 retest TEE2 5.2
18th February fasting CF 6.3 retest CF 5.0 retest TEE2 5.6
20th February post prandial 1hr 30m CF 6.3 retest CF 5.4 retest TEE2 5.6
20th February post prandial 2 hours CF 6.0 retest CF 5.5 retest TEE2 5.2
22nd February post prandial 1 hour CF 7.1 retest CF 5.1
I could go on ... and on ...
Yes, I had washed and dried my hands, Yes, I did use a new drop of blood each time as instructed by the people who market the TEE2 and, yes, I was holding the meter vertically as they recommend.

I too was thinking of investing in a third meter - an Accuchek Performa Nano. I was on the point of buying online when I realised that Roche don't give VAT relief for diabetics on the Nano, though they do on the strips for it, and also on the Mobile. Boots simply referred me to Roche, who have as yet not replied to my email. So I am totally unimpressed by Roche's customer service, especially in view of the high price they charge for their strips. By contrast, the TEE2 people, although their product is cheap (or free), cheerful and inaccurate, at least offer customer service that simply couldn't be bettered.

When things are going well, I can shrug off the annoyance of meter inaccuracy. But when they are not, it is an added torture.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
well that doesnt give much confidence that the meters are not accurate

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Using 2 meters just confuses matters. It is ridiculous and a waste of strips and stressful. One should be kept in a drawer for emergency back up only. They will all have outliers from time to time, but some of these will be low ones and some will be high ones. Over a period of time the averages will wipe them out. A very unexpected reading can be re-tested. It is pointless testing and testing just to make the level a little bit lower. Who knows which of the readings is right? No-one. Unless we need to inject insulin, all we are looking for are trends, and trends will show themselves.

Test, record, move on.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately inaccurate is all we have, so we make the best of it. Inaccurate meters are probably fairly accurate or reasonable approximations much of the time. IMO we are better off with them than without them. Though financially poorer.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Using 2 meters just confuses matters. It is ridiculous and a waste of strips and stressful. One should be kept in a drawer for emergency back up only. They will all have outliers from time to time, but some of these will be low ones and some will be high ones. Over a period of time the averages will wipe them out. A very unexpected reading can be re-tested. It is pointless testing and testing just to make the level a little bit lower. Who knows which of the readings is right? No-one. Unless we need to inject insulin, all we are looking for are trends, and trends will show themselves.
Sometimes I get a number that is higher than I expected, and when I retest I get more or less the same number, so then I believe it. If I didn't retest I probably wouldn't, and I would fail to get some useful information, which after all is what I test for.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You really want to be looking at trends rather than the absolute levels. I have a spreadsheet with readings, graphs food diary etc. I think you're an unmedicated Type 2 so you really just want to monitor where your levels are going. Even if you test the same blood from the same prick you get different results. I would agree that having 2 meters leads to madness.. !