What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today I was on the road, then a guest.
I am playing The Veg Dodger’s Gippy Tummy Card.
Seems to be working v well!

9am coffeesubstitute and cream, then another in the car
1pm a bunless burger with bacon and cheese. The waitress was so horrified that I didn’t want chips she volunteered a salad, but it was scarily green ;) and covered with unripe tomato and raw onion, so it stayed on the plate.
7pm oxcheeks. Need to ask my butcher if he will do them. They were delicious!
Son and his family are big fans of ox cheeks. I know he does them sous vide (he has 3 of these water baths now) but I'll find out what he puts in the bag before he seals it.

Reactions: Brunneria

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today I was on the road, then a guest.
I am playing The Veg Dodger’s Gippy Tummy Card.
Seems to be working v well!

9am coffeesubstitute and cream, then another in the car
1pm a bunless burger with bacon and cheese. The waitress was so horrified that I didn’t want chips she volunteered a salad, but it was scarily green ;) and covered with unripe tomato and raw onion, so it stayed on the plate.
7pm oxcheeks. Need to ask my butcher if he will do them. They were delicious!

I like Ox cheeks, but actually prefer pork cheeks. I notice @maglil55 mentions sous vide, but I do mine in the IP.

I have to ask the butcher for them, as they aren't on display in the shop. He doesn't display them because their catering/commercial trade buys as many as they can get their hands on. He probably charges me more than he charges the trade, but they're still as cheap as chips.

Rose88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you grind your cardamom for tea? I usually have it ground and brewe along with coffee. How many pods for the tea?

Sorry for the delay in replying... finally got access to my laptop.

I love this spice in everything.... If I'm using cardamom pods then I'll add 3 opened pods to a mug and make tea as usual.
if using ground cardamom then i only add a pinch as its quite strong, otherwise I add just 1 Chai Xpress cardamom teabag ...

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Relied a lot today on hot decaf coffee and cream to stay warm as felt cold and hungry.
Breakfast first of many coffees and cream
Lunch omlette with cheese and mushrooms
Dinner left over chicken with advocado, walnut and celery salad with one slice of livlife low carb buttered bread followed by raspberry mousse made with cream, sugar free jelly and raspberries
About to have another decaf coffee and a bit of 100% chocolate!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A fasting day today so just one meal.

Dinner was leftover lamb kleftico with cauliflower cheese followed by sugar free jelly with cream.

Like @shelley262 I had a few hot drinks (tea) with cream.

Reactions: maglil55 and Rose88

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream, washed down with a white coffee.
Lunch: left over roast chicken, veggies and celeriac roasties, followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon Hartleys 10cal jelly and a black coffee.
Dinner: Fathead pizza, cauliflower, broccoli, radish and sweet pepper salad, followed by strawberries and cream and three squares of Green and Blacks dark ginger chocolate.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday - bed 7.2 FBG 6.2
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream
L. Had to have @Brunneria's cheesy corned beef thingy again but this time I added a bit more chilli and chopped chorizo. I can see there being loads of variations on this.
D. Small avocado, prawn cocktail, lettuce, tomatoes, jalapeno coleslaw, boiled beetroot.
Was feeling a bit down so had a scoop of Halo Top Chocolate high protein ice cream, 6 raspberries, dash of cream and.....2 squares Lindt 90%. Need to stop this as it was reflected in my BGs going to bed
Bed 8.1!! FBG 5.8 thankfully and no sign of DP so maybe it was just a rogue reading.
L. Stuff needing eating. Slice GF Black pudding, 2 rashers back bacon, fried egg and 4 cherry tomatoes.
D. Salmon fillet with garlic and herbs and wilted spinach.
Blizzard outside currently. It was no Beast from the East earlier but it's pretty heavy now. Grandsons reckoned it was just a tiny wee beastie earlier.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OX CHEEKS

Sear first on a high heat for less than two minutes.

Take them out.

Add HALF table spoon of sugar substitute , thyme. Chopped up celery and carrots then a healthy dose of red wine to deglaze the pan.

Put all of that in the bag with the ox cheeks. Seal bag and then cooked in sous vide at 83c for about 7 hours. You could slow cook in water with it in a sealed bag too or slow cook in IP.

Need to take them out at the end put the juice and wine through a sieve then boil on a high heat to make the red wine reduction.

Plate pour then serve.

Reactions: Brunneria

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday - bed 7.2 FBG 6.2
L. Had to have @Brunneria's cheesy corned beef thingy again but this time I added a bit more chilli and chopped chorizo. I can see there being loads of variations on this.
D. Small avocado, prawn cocktail, lettuce, tomatoes, jalapeno coleslaw, boiled beetroot.
Was feeling a bit down so had a scoop of Halo Top Chocolate high protein ice cream, 6 raspberries, dash of cream and.....2 squares Lindt 90%. Need to stop this as it was reflected in my BGs going to bed
Bed 8.1!! FBG 5.8 thankfully and no sign of DP so maybe it was just a rogue reading.
L. Stuff needing eating. Slice GF Black pudding, 2 rashers back bacon, fried egg and 4 cherry tomatoes.
D. Salmon fillet with garlic and herbs and wilted spinach.
Blizzard outside currently. It was no Beast from the East earlier but it's pretty heavy now. Grandsons reckoned it was just a tiny wee beastie earlier.
I’m sure it was a rouge strip! Although have you tried oppo ice cream? I’m sure halo has some sugar in it small amount but it’s there? Oppo hasn’t and dosent spike my blood sugars.
Take care of yourself difficult times will take adjusting to.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all - hope you’re all keeping warm
Breakfast first of many hot coffees with cream
Lunch cheese omlette followed by one square 90% chocolate with coffee
Dinner pork and chicken stir fry made with 20g of explore cuisine bean pasta followed by raspberry low carb mousse

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m sure it was a rouge strip! Although have you tried oppo ice cream? I’m sure halo has some sugar in it small amount but it’s there? Oppo hasn’t and dosent spike my blood sugars.
Take care of yourself difficult times will take adjusting to.
I'm ok with Halo. Just went a bit over the top. I would not normally have Lindt and Halo ice cream. Maybe go for something alcoholic next time

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Started out well today but ended up eating way too much.

Breakfast - none
Lunch - corned beef with green salad, a couple of cherry tomatoes and mayonnaise.
Snacks - hungry mid afternoon so ate a bag of pork crunch, it then succumbed to too much Lindt 90%
Dinner - fathead pizza with pepperoni topping.

Feeling sorry for myself as the shin splints that have been troubling me for ages but showed recent signs of improvement - and gave me confidence to up exercise again - have suddenly got much worse and walking is really painful. Got an emergency appointment at a sports injury clinic only for a fire alarm to lead to its cancellation! Have to wait until Thursday now.

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Started out well today but ended up eating way too much.

Breakfast - none
Lunch - corned beef with green salad, a couple of cherry tomatoes and mayonnaise.
Snacks - hungry mid afternoon so ate a bag of pork crunch, it then succumbed to too much Lindt 90%
Dinner - fathead pizza with pepperoni topping.

Feeling sorry for myself as the shin splints that have been troubling me for ages but showed recent signs of improvement - and gave me confidence to up exercise again - have suddenly got much worse and walking is really painful. Got an emergency appointment at a sports injury clinic only for a fire alarm to lead to its cancellation! Have to wait until Thursday now.
Poor you pain isn't good and know you walk a lot like me. That lindt choc is a bit dangerous! Hope pain hasn't put up your bgs?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Poor you pain isn't good and know you walk a lot like me. That lindt choc is a bit dangerous! Hope pain hasn't put up your bgs?

BG is a bit up - 6.1 before dinner, which is very high for me. Suspect it’s more to do with the Lindt than the pain. Have to knock the Lindt on the head, I think.

Currently re reading Jason Fung’s book on fasting as I’m planning on trying out a longer fast, probably over Easter when I’ve got a few days off work.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
BG is a bit up - 6.1 before dinner, which is very high for me. Suspect it’s more to do with the Lindt than the pain. Have to knock the Lindt on the head, I think.

Currently re reading Jason Fung’s book on fasting as I’m planning on trying out a longer fast, probably over Easter when I’ve got a few days off work.
May be the cold too as mine is up a bit today

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

Montezumas all black is better, less sugar so less chance to go overboard, that's what I've changed to. Lindt is addictive:eek:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Montezumas all black is better, less sugar so less chance to go overboard, that's what I've changed to. Lindt is addictive:eek:

Agreed. I use Montezuma’s and also Willie’s Pure Gold 100% or Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons as my regular stocks at home. The Lindt is more readily available when out and about, but becoming too easy to over eat it, so will have to resist.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream, washed down with a white coffee.
Lunch: left over Fathead pizza with veggies, followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee with hubby at Caffè Nero, black coffee and pkt. of mixed nuts.
Dinner: carbonara made with Explore Cuisine fettuccini, bacon, eggs, cream, Parmesan and a few frozen petit pois, followed by homemade chocolate chia pudding and one square of Tesco 85% chocolate.