Advice on basel rates

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My basal rate was 27.4 and for a while my blood sugars were perfect the best they had been in over 10 years but over the past few days I have been having so many hypo's I have set my basel back to 0.90 p/h and start doing my fasting basel rate all over again I guess my question is; is this normal to need less basel as time goes by or does most peoples basel stay the same once an equalibrium is achieved???

Last edited:
Reactions: XxBeaudynexX
D

Deleted Account

In my experience, it is normal for basal rates to change.
It may be a temporary things such as after exercise or it may be longer term, for example, if you have lost weight.
Or it may be hormonal or age or ...

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Basal rates do change due to you being human and not a machine :) One factor is always the weather, you will probably find you are burning off a lot of calories/carbs keeping warm in the cold weather hence the need for less insulin.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there... Basal rate hey.... Bane of my life... Mine seems to keep changing every other week... As soon I get my rate spot on feels like I need to increase/decrease every other week!! Love this condition I do!!

Reactions: porl69

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there... Basal rate hey.... Bane of my life... Mine seems to keep changing every other week... As soon I get my rate spot on feels like I need to increase/decrease every other week!! Love this condition I do!!
My thoughts exactly I was just in control then boom hypo hypo hypo hits me like a freight train

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
Yep mine changes regularly even if temperature, health, exercise is unchanged. Sometimes regular tweaking.