Honeymoon or wrongly diagnosed

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Been a week now without any insulin at all it’s doing my head in only time will tell I guess I’ve even had a few high carb meals to see what happens but highest it went was 6.8 not missing the injections don’t get me wrong but it’s strange not doing it

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
why on earth have you stopped. is this on advice of a consultant if not see one now. you know what will happen if you are.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think you were wrongly diagnosed judging by you're earlier posts about your diagnosis, I just think you've got a very good (or bad depending on how you look at it) honeymoon period. Although I'm sure it's not out of the bounds of possibility for some sort of viral infection or something to whack your endocrine system out the park for a short while (he says hopefully!).

Keep testing and have you bolus pen at hand at all times - don't get complacent.

Reactions: lindijanice

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
why on earth have you stopped. is this on advice of a consultant if not see one now. you know what will happen if you are.

Yes on advice of the consultant now but stopped on my own knowledge at first because of going low into the 3s and getting lower so tried no insulin and wasn’t spiking

Reactions: Gina G

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
then its down to your diet. i was at 24 and 3.4 ketones did you have the antibodies tests

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't think you were wrongly diagnosed judging by you're earlier posts about your diagnosis, I just think you've got a very good (or bad depending on how you look at it) honeymoon period. Although I'm sure it's not out of the bounds of possibility for some sort of viral infection or something to whack your endocrine system out the park for a short while (he says hopefully!).

Keep testing and have you bolus pen at hand at all times - don't get complacent.

Spoke to my nurse yesterday (as she was on holiday when I went to see the consultant for my hba1c results) she seems to think I could of been wrongfully diagnosed type 1 just on the fact I’ve lost over 3stone since leaving hospital upon diagnosis in October and thinks maybe it was type2 reversed with change of lifestyle/weight loss but there’s the obvious chance of it being honeymoon period so like you say keep testing like I am doing not changed anything in that respect still check in morning before meals 2 hours after plus I wear the libre so I’m definitely not going to get complacent and only time will tell I guess

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry people thanks for replying for some reason I’m not getting notifications so wasn’t being ignorant

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I must add when I spoke to my nurse yesterday about my GAD results they have also come back negative but she says there not set in stone as they do get a lot of false results in these test

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
there are a few other antibody test that they could do. but it sounds like me treated as type one then gad negative and re classed as type2 its very very likely you are type2 if diets done such a good job. well done

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think about 25% of GAD tests come back false negatives.

At diag didn't you have high ketones? Not impossible, but unlikely for a T2 to have ketones, having said that what the nurse said is plausible also. Ha! so no further forward!

Reactions: Sobo82

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
One thing we all know that diabetes in a all isn’t straight forward think we can agree on that lol just a matter of sitting tight and see what happens and if it is the honeymoon period enjoy no needles for the time being
Thanks peeeps

SimonCrox

There is a variety of Type 2 called ketosis prone type 2 DM, or Flatbush DM after the area of USA where first described. When the person's glucose level goes high, the beta cells switch off insulin production and they restart when glucose levels have been controlled for a bit. 50% of new presentations of DKA in African Americans actually have this and although much more common in Afro-Caribbean folk, it does occur in Europid people. So this is possibly what you have and what you have treated with your weight loss. The GAD antibodies look at the cause of the problem, you could always look at urinary C-peptide to see if making insulin. But as others have said above, probably most important is to continue with the low weight and to monitor progress.
Best wishes

Last edited:

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This interests me a well as I have seen my Basal needs drop significantly to 5units in the morning and about 7units/8units at night, with very rarely taking bolus. I have however upped my exercise and adopted a keto diet.

I don't think i'm wrongly diagnosed, but would love to know if it can be kept to these low dosages long term as long as I keep doing what I am doing. Easier to lose a bit of weight (i've lost 7lbs since Xmas) and easier to maintain levels along with less injections.

Sobo82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There is a variety of Type 2 called ketosis prone type 2 DM, or Flatbusg DM after the area of USA where first described. When the person's glucose level goes high, the beta cells switch off insulin production and they restart when glucose levels have been controlled for a bit. 50% of new presentations of DKA in African Americans actually have this and although much more common in Afro-Caribbean folk, it does occur in Europid people. So this is possibly what you have and what you have treated with your weight loss. The GAD antibodies look at the cause of the problem, you could always look at urinary C-peptide to see if making insulin. But as others have said above, probably most important is to continue with the low weight and to monitor progress.
Best wishes

Thanks for that very interesting
Regards Shaun

Reactions: SimonCrox

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Hello you were probably misdiagnosed ,Keep a close watch on your blood sugar readings.These so called doctors i have seen i would not pay in tap washers.I got an insight of my treatment after retiring at 65 in 2010.They could not care less i have found .I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes ,about 6 years of not telling me despite having blood tests every 6 months,I last saw a doctor 3 years ago She told me i was diabetic she insisted i took statins when i refused she got nasty .i had read that statins could cause the onset of type 2 diabetes by 70% .I told her i would sort it out myself.i went on an 24 alternate fasting diet .i lost over 3 st in about 4 months i reduced my blood sugar fasting readings from between 10.8 mml and 16+mml to between 3.8mml and 5.8 mml .i have now been diabetic free for 12 months.all the complications which were coming in thick and fast have cleared up .I can now eat what i like without any adverse effects.i feel like a new man .i am 73 years old.i now might make to 75 and get a free tv license .If i;d have taken the so called doctors treatment .I would probably be dead now.All the diabetics i have known in past are unfortunately dead.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had a similar experience to you on going to hospital. I suspect hospitals are diagnosing type 1 without doing a full set of blood tests i.e. GAD and c-peptide to save money.

Diagnosis being by just by high ketones, high HbA1c, high BG’s and unexplained weight loose.

I was prescribed base and fast insulin. I subsequently starting a diet and noticed there was a sharp drop in need for insulin for every kg lost.

It was if the insulin I was on was only needed for my excess weight above what’s called "lean body mass" i.e. the insulin resistance of cells storing fat (a t2 symptom)

This is an (simplified) example of what I reasoned about telling if your t1 or t2 from a diet.

A type 2:
You weigh 80kg and your insulin need is 10units
Your lean body mass is calculated as 70kg

You lose 5kg to 75kg and your insulin need drops to 5 units (i.e half. The insulin needed is just working on the excess weight from lean body mass, the rest is handled by pancreas)

Versus type 1
You weigh 80kg and your insulin need is 10units
You lose 5kg to 75 kg and your insulin need drops to 9 units (ratio 75/80; i.e. the insulin is needed for all the body because you not producing any)

In other words a really big fall for every kg if type 2

I also had two other big falls: 1) Starting Statins 2) about a week after stating serious exercise.

Reactions: SimonCrox

Gina G

This is very interesting my son diagnosed late March
Slim, aged 30, type 1
They have done test GAD, C-Peptide and 1A2 test all negative
and a ZnT8 test (zinc ttansporter, very new)which came back positive
So they said the latter test shows up in type 1 (so why bother with the others?)
Anyway they're still saying he is type 1 (probably in the honeymoon stage)
He is on no insulin 5months on, only for the first few days back in March
Normal blood readings every day between 3.4 Morning and 4 -6.5 through out the day
Watching what he eats, regular excercises and bikes 10miles each weekend