Reversing Diabetes with a vegan, low-fat diet

Dr Barnard has achieved some amazing results with his programme! Definitely worth exploring!
Very best results most likelly with low carbs, high green vegetables, high raw and moderate good fats! Essential Fatty Adids are critical to good health. The best sources of good fats are nuts and seeds such as walnuts, flax seeds and pumpkin seeds.

http://pcrm.org/shop/byNealBarnard/dr-barnards-program-for-reversing-diabetes

Last edited by a moderator:

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Dr Barnard needs to make his mind up as although he's advocating low carbs in his post his site says I don't need to worry about calories, portion sizes and I can eat loads of carbs but no meat as that causes cancer.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He's ******* in the wind. The paleo or Newcastle approach also show us that with a dedicated regime, you can reverse diabetic symptoms.
My point is what he peddles isn't anything wonderous and is more common sense.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Edited by mod, for language

Last edited by a moderator:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dr Barnard needs to make his mind up as although he's advocating low carbs in his post his site says I don't need to worry about calories, portion sizes and I can eat loads of carbs but no meat as that causes cancer.

I think it's the original poster on this thread that is confused about the diet rather than Dr Barnard .
Dr Barnard is himself a staunch vegan and has conducted two published RCT so he knows well the content of his recommended diet. The vegan diet used in the trials contained (10% of energy from fat, 15% from protein and 75% carbohydrate from veg, fruit, grain and legumes).

I think that for many people this is a very tough diet to stick to but there are undoubtedly people who report success on it. Reversal is a different matter ! (definition)

It isn't actually that different to the vegan, high carb, high fibre diet that was introduced in India by Viswanathan and Mohan. It worked well in that cultural setting .(when they introduced it low carb diets were the norm in Europe and the US. Imagine trying to impose that diet in a society where most people are vegan or even if they are 'just' vegetarian have very restricted to access to animal products)
http://nutritionfoundationofindia.res.in/pdfs/BulletinArticle/Pages_from_nfi_04_91_1.pdf (shows the type of food eaten)
http://mdrf-eprints.in/428/1/High_carbohydrate_high_fibre_diet_in_diabetes.pdf (summarises theory and broad results over 20 years)

Reactions: 3 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Any lifestyle that controls your bg levels has to be good but you have to be able to live that lifestyle forever and personally I know I couldnt follow a vegan lifestyle for more than a few weeks or months at best.

Just remember that diabetes is for life, so find a lifestyle that you can happily live with for the rest of your life and as long as you stay well controlled then thats great.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Yes apologies for confusing the OP with Dr Barnard. If a low fat high carb vegan diet works for you then great. However I'm suspicious of any diet that claims you don't need to worry about calories and portion sizes which is what it says on the page the link takes you to.

Durthic

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think that's the paleo diet aspect of it. When you compare how much veg you need to eat to get the equivalent caloric intake from say a big mac, then you are going to be able to eat a veritable mountain of veg before you even get close to a single big mac.

I think that's the whole point of a vegan/paleo diet. You can make yourself think you're eating more (and you are simply by volume), but lower your calorie intake as what you are eating more of, has less calories in it.

I came across the paleo diet when I was researching foods to best eat when going to the gym to help burn off excess body fat, and the paleo diet appears to be all the rage in that respect. Although many paleo dieters say that you can use the 80/20 rule to still be a little naughty if you want to be!

But the common thread I've found is not everything works for everyone. You need to take the time to experiment and see what works best for you.

Lauriem1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The studies show great promise but, yes, we need to be able to stick to it forever.

I think if a person can do LCHF for awhile and when they’ve had enough maybe switch it up and go vegan, or follow the standard diabetic diet.

I’m new to all of this and I’m already looking for different ways to eat. I started with the standard, then LCHF, now vegan.

My goal is to reverse my T2. Or, stay controlled and off meds. I am not on Meds so that’s a relief.

Thanks for sharing,
Cheers

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The studies show great promise but, yes, we need to be able to stick to it forever.

I think if a person can do LCHF for awhile and when they’ve had enough maybe switch it up and go vegan, or follow the standard diabetic diet.

I’m new to all of this and I’m already looking for different ways to eat. I started with the standard, then LCHF, now vegan.

My goal is to reverse my T2. Or, stay controlled and off meds. I am not on Meds so that’s a relief.

Thanks for sharing,
Cheers

This one is 4 years old. Please remember you may well need some supplements if you are going down the WHPB way of eating.

https://www.drfuhrman.com/learn/lib...-a-multivitamin-what-to-take-what-not-to-take

WFPB may not provide all the nutrients you need.

Lauriem1967

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks, I didn’t even realize it was an old post! Lol. I’m checking those links now. I find that everyone is so helpful and caring on this site. Thank you so much for directing me to the vegan area and the supplements info.

I want to do everything I can to stay healthy and not do any more damage than what’s already been done. Bless you,