Lancets

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It occurs to me that the risk of infection due to re-using a lancet might be much higher if the person has advanced diabetes, as I believe this diminishes the body's power to fight off infections. Also it bears repetition, NEVER share a lancet with anyone else, and if they are going to use your lancet gun, clean and maybe disinfect it first. I have read quite a few accounts here of festive parties at which everyone had a go testing their blood, and I did wonder if hygienic precautions were being observed.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I only change my needle/Lancet about once a month although apart from the odd occasion I test 3 times a day. If I ever test any one else I always use a new needle/Lancet so waste one really something I try to avoid. I am on lantus and use a new needle when I open new tub of strips.(aprox once a month.) its not an exact figure.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Wow! It had never occured to me to reset the old lancet! I’m going through them at a rate of knots!

I will reuse from now on, very happy to do that as like @Alexandra100 says there is also an environmental cost and I’m trying to reduce my single use plastic waste.

How do you all clean the needle between stabbings?
Well I had been thinking of buying an Autoclave but they are a little on the expensive side so I don't bother also I use a Multiclix or Fastclix that came with my accu chek mobile what ever meter I'm using.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did I sound a bit prissy @JohnEGreen? Sorry, didn’t mean to, its just that I’ve spent my working life in a medical microbiology lab, diagnosing infections, so I tend to be a bit OTT.

I’ll change lancets once a day which I think will be the happy medium for me, between environmental and financial issues versus freaking out re infection risks!
So long as skin is clean before testing I can’t see a problem.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change lancets maybe every 1-2 weeks in my main device. I don't change the pen needles I just put a new one on a new pen. I just toss the sharps in the trash.

hognose

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes, injections/needles.......veg salad fibromyalgia
try to changed them every day sometimes longer, or when my fingers lockup like cramp

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I'm a bit of a wuss, pricking seems to start hurting quite quickly after a new lancet (after about 3 days) so I just change them when pricking starts to hurt. My dad is type 1 and I was never even aware that changing th em was even a thing as I think he's replaced it about 3 times in 30 years!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I change lancets maybe every 1-2 weeks in my main device. I don't change the pen needles I just put a new one on a new pen. I just toss the sharps in the trash.
Interesting! I'd have put you down as a new every day sort of chap.

first14808

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did I sound a bit prissy @JohnEGreen? Sorry, didn’t mean to, its just that I’ve spent my working life in a medical microbiology lab, diagnosing infections, so I tend to be a bit OTT..

Ah, perfect.. Any chance you could run up a few cultures from used needles? Which may be easier said than done given popular stabbies like the FastClix conceals it's needles in the drum. But there may be room around the needle housings to run a swab... :)

I think this may be an interesting research opportunity, ie risk of infection due to cost of consumables, waste, and making a better case for CGMs. I doubt medical types would be easily persuaded to change from single-use, nor suppliers as that increases sales.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah, perfect.. Any chance you could run up a few cultures from used needles? Which may be easier said than done given popular stabbies like the FastClix conceals it's needles in the drum. But there may be room around the needle housings to run a swab... :)

I think this may be an interesting research opportunity, ie risk of infection due to cost of consumables, waste, and making a better case for CGMs. I doubt medical types would be easily persuaded to change from single-use, nor suppliers as that increases sales.

Happily retired last year but it’s hard to turn off a lifetime of involvement.
You’re right though, it might make an interesting final year project for a student.