chopped a few bits of fingers off

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Well I ran my fingers through a table saw, some bits are missing now, they will grow back and no missing bones.

What do you eat to help healing of skin?

Yes I am an idiot/Muppet etc and I know it.
===================================================================

Then I am a Muppet as well -

I ran one finger thro a table saw about a month ago - straight to A&E - X-rayed to see if I had cut the bone - told - not enough to worry about! Great info but not important at the time as it hurt like hell. Dressing to wrap up and hold it together and sent home.

Went to GP following morning as instructed - nurse removed dressing and inspected (Rude about the dressing!) - said seems clean and use this type of dressing and keep dry. The nurses dressing fell off before I got back in my car so I went to chemist and bought the type of dressing put on at the hospital - The dispenser was really helpful as lent me a pair of scissors to trim the dressing - Said that the end result was brilliant and sterile and unexpected after the trimming of the dressing.

As instructed went back to GP every 4 days for 4 visits so nurse could inspect wound - On one occasion saw original nurse who was just obstructive so I walked out!

I have a lot to do outside and the cold weather makes the finger throb painfully. The good bit is the feeling has returned to the end of my finger and is healing slowly. I did expect healing to take longer as have experience of being T1 for over 60 years.

It just takes time which seems longer when your list of tasks is getting longer. Main things at present - 2 fallen trees to cut up for the wood burner and build 120 metiers of tall picked fence to give new wolf puppy room to chase our stupid wild cat.

Last edited:

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
===================================================================

Then I am a Muppet as well -
I ran one finger thro a table saw about a month ago - straight to A&E - X-rayed to see if I had cut the bone - told - not enough to worry about! Great info but not important at the time as it hurt like hell. Dressing to wrap up and hold it together and sent home.

Went to GP following morning as instructed - nurse remove dressing and inspected (Rude about the dressing!) - said seems clean and use this type of dressing and keep dry. The nurses dressing fell off before I got back in my car so I went to chemist and bought the type of dressing put on at the hospital - The dispenser was really helpful as lent me a pair of scissors to trim the dressing - Said that the end result was brilliant and sterile and unexpected after the trimming of the dressing.

As instructed went back to GP every 4 days for 4 visits so nurse could inspect wound - On one occasion saw original nurse who
Hi

Easily done and like you I am lucky, could have been so bad. I suspect it will be a few weeks till its healed nicely. Until then lots of walking which is always nice.

Did you loose nail bed too?

Ross

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
All the usual stuff that has been said by others here. Good control of sugar levels, sensible eating, most importantly keeping the wounds are the areas around them clean. Check dressings for discharges an/or smell.

Am currently nursing 13 stitches just at back of arm-pit after slipping in kitchen, dragging earthenware butter dish on to floor (and breaking it) as I tried to stay on my feet, and landing on the thing. Am a week into healing and have another week before the stitches can come out. It was an impressively deep hole. Cost me a tetanus jab as well.

Moral of my tale? You are not the only one who can break bones/slice yourself open or do any stupid combination of both. I though my days of daft injuries were behind me when I stopped playing football at 44. 15 years later, three shoulder ops including three bolts to repair a huge fracture dislocation, a couple of broken hand bones, along with a hernia repair, an appendectomy and another nasty stay in hospital for Diverticulitis, shows that at whatever age, getting into trouble (A&E Type) is still dead easy!

Good luck with the fingers. :nurse:
ooooh, that's proper bad luck. heal fast

Reactions: ickihun

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
t
Hi

Easily done and like you I am lucky, could have been so bad. I suspect it will be a few weeks till its healed nicely. Until then lots of walking which is always nice.

Did you loose nail bed too?

Ross
=================================================
That was used to anchor the shredded bits on the other side. (probably too much detail!)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Get healed soon boys. :rolleyes:
What a carve up!

Mind you we women do DIY too. I wonder more accident prone or less?
I hate drills.
Didn't mind them when I was stronger but since losing weight im as weak as a kitten. :(
Even with accidents i prefer hubby to do the hard bit. Im a great supervisor thou Ha ha

Mike Solomons

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please forgive me - you must be a bit cut up about this!

Seriously, high blood sugars feed infection so temporarily reduce carbohydrates. For example ditch potatoes, ditch any white flour products, (if you have to, eat wholemeal bread) and, of course ditch pasta & pizzas. If you are on anything other than Metformin to reduce blood sugars, you need to monitor closely, you don't need to add to your troubles with a hypo!

For your reference doiagnosed at 37, probably type 2 from about 5, (so plenty of damage!), noe 70 so I've had some practise, though never trying to chop my fingers off!

Good luck!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not that I lack sympathy for you and your wounds but no-one else has asked so I think it's just up to me - are you typing with your toes? If so best keep them away from your saw or you will have to post videos and I can't stand the sight of blood. Cheers.

Reactions: Antje77

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
It's not that I lack sympathy for you and your wounds but no-one else has asked so I think it's just up to me - are you typing with your toes? If so best keep them away from your saw or you will have to post videos and I can't stand the sight of blood. Cheers.
I have attached a pencil to my headband and am banging away like a maniac at a def lepard concert

Reactions: DJC3 and Struma

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have attached a pencil to my headband and am banging away like a maniac at a def lepard concert
Hahahahaha, you managed to make me laugh out loud, which isn't easy in these days of funny things on the internet! Thanks!

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Hahahahaha, you managed to make me laugh out loud, which isn't easy in these days of funny things on the internet! Thanks!
any time, got to celebrate the little things in life and laugh like a monkey. Puts it into perspective

gardengnome42

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes and dieting
As a diabetic you won't be eating honey but haven't I read that it speeds up healing? Especially Manuka honey.Could be rather sticky though.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
As a diabetic you won't be eating honey but haven't I read that it speeds up healing? Especially Manuka honey.Could be rather sticky though.
I will look like pooh bear but be bouncing round like Tiggr.

it's that sort of thing I am looking for, keep em coming.

Aaron D

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Well I ran my fingers through a table saw, some bits are missing now, they will grow back and no missing bones.

What do you eat to help healing of skin?

Yes I am an idiot/Muppet etc and I know it.

Avoid salty foods. Or at least use your other hand.

A

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
Paul Daniels , the Magician who died recently, had wonderful dexterity. Then he cut his finger off one weekend while playing about in his garden shed. Early senility. Are you perhaps going senile?