Diagnosed Yesterday [emoji30]

clare-marie108

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
So all this has happened really quickly....... I noticed about 4 weeks ago that I was really thirsty and going to the toilet loads, I went to the doctors (about something else) and mentioned it to my GP, went for my blood test last week, everyday since I was feeling so poorly(like I had been run over) GP calls me in yesterday with my results, Blood sugar of 18.9...is this classed as really high? Because of how quickly my symptoms progressed, lossed 9lb in weight in 4 weeks and because I am really fit and healthy the dietetic nurse has said it’s most likely type 1, blood test to confirm in 6weeks.
She’s started me off on Novomix 30, I have to have 12 units in the morning and 8 in the evening and have an appointment with the diabetic team on Monday. I am in total shock, I’m 39years old and just so overwhelmed with how much my life is going to change! I have so many questions ‍♀️
My Blood sugar went up to 22.8 last night but has started to go down today,

Do I need to carb count? Do I have to eat the same time every day? Do have to cut out all sugar? This is just a start, I will be bombarding everyone with questions all the time lol,

clare-marie108

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can’t believe how quickly I deteriorate, I’m on insulin now to keep me safe the nurse has said, I’ve had the HbA1c test which they said comes back in 6 weeks... is that a long time then
Thanks for replying x

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, and welcome to the forum, it’s great that you’ve found us so early. I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis. There’ll be a lot of info, a lot of questions, and it’s baffling at first. You’ll find a lot of support here, and no question is stupid. We’ve all asked them x

The HbA1c test measures your average glucose test over the last six weeks, and usually comes back from the lab within a few days - the diabetic team will almost certainly have you result for you on Monday at your appointment. The Novomix should hold you until then, just make sure you have dextrose tablets or jelly babies to hand in case your sugar drops below four on your meter. If it does, take five, and measure again in 15 minutes.

Sending hugs xxx

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had the HbA1c test which they said comes back in 6 weeks... is that a long time then

The HbA1c comes back in one or two days. If you had a test that takes 6 weeks it won't have been the HbA1c. Because you were in shock and no doubt confused, have you misunderstood?

clare-marie108

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, and welcome to the forum, it’s great that you’ve found us so early. I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis. There’ll be a lot of info, a lot of questions, and it’s baffling at first. You’ll find a lot of support here, and no question is stupid. We’ve all asked them x

The HbA1c test measures your average glucose test over the last six weeks, and usually comes back from the lab within a few days - the diabetic team will almost certainly have you result for you on Monday at your appointment. The Novomix should hold you until then, just make sure you have dextrose tablets or jelly babies to hand in case your sugar drops below four on your meter. If it does, take five, and measure again in 15 minutes.

Sending hugs xxx

Thank you Mel.

Ah hopefully it will be Monday, I thought 6 weeks was a bit long!!! I was starting to feel less anxious as my BS went down to 9.7 before my lunch. I’ve just tested again before my dinner and they are back up to 22.2!!! All I had was low-fat cheese sandwich!!!!

Xxx

Last edited by a moderator:

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi clare-marie108! Deep breath! Yes it does come as a bit of a shock doesn’t it! However, you were on the ball and got a diagnosis ASAP! Some of our mates on here ended up in hospital, very poorly people so you done good! Time enough to bemoan the loss of the old days. First get to grips with the new regime. Your team will sort you out bit by bit. Now they know what’s wrong they can give you the tools to cope. None of us want to be in this club but take a look at the other members - I’m always so impressed by everyone’s can do attitude. Yes you will most likely carb count but one step at a time. No one expects you to get your head around this overnight. You’ll find some real experts on here! They’ve been a life line to me! Big hugs! X

clare-marie108

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There was 3 things on the blood test form
HbA1c, GAD and something else. They defo said 6 weeks. I’m completely confused with it all will the HbA1c confirm type 1? X

clare-marie108

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi clare-marie108! Deep breath! Yes it does come as a bit of a shock doesn’t it! However, you were on the ball and got a diagnosis ASAP! Some of our mates on here ended up in hospital, very poorly people so you done good! Time enough to bemoan the loss of the old days. First get to grips with the new regime. Your team will sort you out bit by bit. Now they know what’s wrong they can give you the tools to cope. None of us want to be in this club but take a look at the other members - I’m always so impressed by everyone’s can do attitude. Yes you will most likely carb count but one step at a time. No one expects you to get your head around this overnight. You’ll find some real experts on here! They’ve been a life line to me! Big hugs! X

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There was 3 things on the blood test form
HbA1c, GAD and something else. They defo said 6 weeks. I’m completely confused with it all will the HbA1c confirm type 1? X

Was the third one a c-peptide test? I do believe the GAD and c-peptide can take a few weeks, but an HbA1c comes back quickly.
The HbA1c just measures an average of your blood sugar levels over the previous 2 to 3 months and is the diagnostic test for diabetes. It does not tell you which type. The GAD is a test for anti-bodies (the things that kill off the pancreas functions), but is fairly unreliable as there are many false positives and false negatives. The c-peptide test is the one that can determine your type. Does that help?

I have a piece of advice for you. When the results are ready, please ask for a print out of the test results for all 3 tests. This will help you understand where you are and what you may be. You need the results in black and white so you can look at them at leisure and analyse what they mean (with help from this forum if you need it). Please don't accept a verbal response from the doctor, whatever it may be.

clare-marie108

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Sibyl, I’ve always known my body and what’s right! I suffered with endometriosis for so many years until I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago.... but that’s for another forum
How long have you been diabetic?
I keep having mixed emotions... 1 minute I’m positive thinking and know that there are millions of people with this and lead a reasonably normal life’s and the next I’m in tears and scared when reading about hypos and hypers! X

Reactions: Sibyl
D

Deleted Account

Welcome to the club with esteemed members including Olympic medal holders, Oscar winning actresses, senior politicians and little old me and our friends on the forum.
Initial diagnosis is mind blowing - I was a similar age to you so have an idea how you feel.
If you take a look around this forum you will see mentioned many times that this is a marathon not a sprint. Your BG is very likely to be high at the moment. Don't panic - now you have your diagnosis and understand why you have been feeling rubbish for the last 4 weeks you can now start sorting it out.
Between now and your appointment, take your time to get used to injecting and taking your BG reading and put together a list of all the questions you want answers to. Try to relax as much as possible (haha, yeah, I know - easier said than done) and don't push yourself to get the perfect results.

Reactions: Sibyl

clare-marie108

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was the third one a c-peptide test? I do believe the GAD and c-peptide can take a few weeks, but an HbA1c comes back quickly.
The HbA1c just measures an average of your blood sugar levels over the previous 2 to 3 months and is the diagnostic test for diabetes. It does not tell you which type. The GAD is a test for anti-bodies (the things that kill off the pancreas functions), but is fairly unreliable as there are many false positives and false negatives. The c-peptide test is the one that can determine your type. Does that help?

I have a piece of advice for you. When the results are ready, please ask for a print out of the test results for all 3 tests. This will help you understand where you are and what you may be. You need the results in black and white so you can look at them at leisure and analyse what they mean (with help from this forum if you need it). Please don't accept a verbal response from the doctor, whatever it may be.

clare-marie108

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah yes it was c-peptide, I normally take photos of any blood test forms me and my partner have but everything was a bit of a blur yesterday... how long have you been diabetic? I will defo ask for a print out, thanks for the advice. I’m a bit confused with today’s readings.... last night I was 22.8, this morning before breakfast 15.5, before my lunch I had gone down to 9.9 then before tea back up to 22.2! Why would it increase that much?

Thanks again

clare-marie108

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Thank you.... it’s all very mind blowing!!! I’m so glad I have found this site....
I have so many questions, I literally don’t know where to start
X

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah yes it was c-peptide, I normally take photos of any blood test forms me and my partner have but everything was a bit of a blur yesterday... how long have you been diabetic? I will defo ask for a print out, thanks for the advice. I’m a bit confused with today’s readings.... last night I was 22.8, this morning before breakfast 15.5, before my lunch I had gone down to 9.9 then before tea back up to 22.2! Why would it increase that much?

Thanks again

I was diagnosed over 4 years ago but I am a type 2 and not taking any meds (diet controlled) so I'm unable to help with your readings as it needs someone with good knowledge of your insulin regime. All I do know is that eating carbohydrate raises blood sugar levels. Insulin lowers it. So there has to be a balance. The amount of insulin needed is determined by the amount of carbs eaten. Too much insulin and you go low. Too little and you go high. Maybe keep a detailed food diary and record your levels alongside. This will help a lot, and will definitely help your medical team when you meet them.

clare-marie108

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have to cut out all sugar? I’m so confused with the food, me and my bf was in the supermarket for ages today looking on the packets of all my fav food the diabetic nurse has set my insulin so I can’t change it!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

Hi Claire Marie, I totally agree with Bluetit about the need to get a print out. Everything comes too fast and is too new to take it all in/ Hug

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have to cut out all sugar? I’m so confused with the food, me and my bf was in the supermarket for ages today looking on the packets of all my fav food the diabetic nurse has set my insulin so I can’t change it!

No, please don't mess with your insulin. Your nurse will show you properly what to do and how to carb count. You need to be patient I'm afraid and wait for them to sort you out. It isn't just sugar that causes problems, it is all carbs. All carbs turn to sugar once inside the system. Sugar is just one of many carbs. This is a steep learning curve. You can't do it all in one day! I would just advise you to read and learn the basics so you are ready when your nurse sorts you out.

scorpius14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also take novomix 30, and also it helps to know most sugars if not all have the suffix '-ose', examples like: lactose(milk), glucose, sucrose, fructose(fruit), as far as basic food needs go, potatoes and bread are carb rich as well as their more processed counterparts like cakes, biscuits, crisps and cereals.

Sweeteners such as aspartame or acesulfame K get a mixed reaction from people saying it affects their blood sugar and some don't.

Personally I haven't had a great deal of control over my diabetes being diagnosed a few years ago, but I have consumed more carbs than i've ever done in my life since I was, though it could be that I was moving into more independent living and in control of my own finances.

Reactions: clare-marie108