Rashes around infusion site

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys! So my DSN can’t solve this one, but I’m sure you lot can!!! I keep getting a rash around my infusion site. It’s not too itchy but I just want to know what it is. It comes up around 24 hours after a set change and goes about 24 hours after. When I do a new set change, it appears in the new position! I wondered if it was an allergy as I am also allergic to plasters, but it’s not actually under the sticky bit of the infusion site, just around it. Any ideas?
IMG_1519129384.800715.jpg

D

Deleted Account

That's certainly a weird one.

Do you swab the area with anything such as alcohol wipes or use a barrier cream/gel/SkinTac prior to attaching the cannula?
I know I'm clutching at straws and you have probably already thought of this, but there's no harm in asking.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I get this sometimes but usually at the time for a set change (2 days) then I'm itchy afterwards at the old site. I just put it down to a reaction to the adhesive on the cannula,

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @jemmaedias I don't get a rash but I do get lumps around my sites so I change my set every 2 days which seems to help, I also use 3m Cavilon spray which is a barrier spray. I believe I am allergic to the adhesive and the plastic sets - so I stopped using plastic cannulas about a year ago and again problems subsided, I now use sure t's which are steel.

Reactions: halmaxwell

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's certainly a weird one.

Do you swab the area with anything such as alcohol wipes or use a barrier cream/gel/SkinTac prior to attaching the cannula?
I know I'm clutching at straws and you have probably already thought of this, but there's no harm in asking.

I use alcohol whops but no barrier creams or anything. I’ll have a look for those. I didn’t know they were available. Thank you!

D

Deleted Account

I use alcohol whops but no barrier creams or anything. I’ll have a look for those. I didn’t know they were available. Thank you!
Actually, I was wondering whether it was the alcohol wipes which are causing your reaction as you may wipe a larger area than just where the cannula goes."

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @jemmaedias I don't get a rash but I do get lumps around my sites so I change my set every 2 days which seems to help, I also use 3m Cavilon spray which is a barrier spray. I believe I am allergic to the adhesive and the plastic sets - so I stopped using plastic cannulas about a year ago and again problems subsided, I now use sure t's which are steel.

I do get lumps as well so maybe it’s a similar reason? I’ve never heard of that before but I’ll look it up and give that a go. Maybe I’ll mention the steel cannulas if that doesn’t help. Thank you so much!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I do get lumps as well so maybe it’s a similar reason? I’ve never heard of that before but I’ll look it up and give that a go. Maybe I’ll mention the steel cannulas if that doesn’t help. Thank you so much!

Oddly enough I removed one this morning and it's a round red mark with a big red lump in the middle, I was supposed to change last night, so am sure if I hadn't left it till the morning it wouldn't look so bad, mine also vary, some are barely noticeable after removal and others like today stay inflamed for a day or so.

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That looks exactly like the rash I get when I have an adhesive dressing removed (and so pleased you found a good solution, @Juicyj !).

Lanolin (famously used on sore nipples by breastfeeding mums) or something along the lines of aqueous calamine cream might help to get rid of it. But, yes, a barrier cream (aqueous cream (NOT E45!) can also be used as a soap and in the bath) will prevent it happening in the first place.

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's possible you could be allergic to the preservative for the alcohol wipes. Can you try just washing the area and letting it dry before inserting a new set?

If there is no reaction, then you'll know it was the alcohol wipe. If there is a reaction, then you'll know it is the infusion set itself.

Sophhhsss94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve started getting this!! What cannulas do you use? I had a letter about 6 months ago saying the cannulas were being recalled due to a fault potentially causing hypos. So I’m wondering whether they’ve changed something in the product that we’re reacting to?

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's possible you could be allergic to the preservative for the alcohol wipes. Can you try just washing the area and letting it dry before inserting a new set?

If there is no reaction, then you'll know it was the alcohol wipe. If there is a reaction, then you'll know it is the infusion set itself.

I never thought of that! I’ll give that one a go tomorrow!!!

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve started getting this!! What cannulas do you use? I had a letter about 6 months ago saying the cannulas were being recalled due to a fault potentially causing hypos. So I’m wondering whether they’ve changed something in the product that we’re reacting to?

I use MiniMed mio 3m - I don’t remember getting a letter so I assume yours is a different one???

D

Deleted member 308541

I wondered if it was an allergy as I am also allergic to plasters,
It's dermatitis, I have the same problems with certain wound dressing adhesive such as Coban 2, surgical tape etc to name a couple.

I use two different creams on mine when it flares up, Antroquoril and Cortic - D when it gets moist, both have cortisone in them.

I mentioned that it has cortisone in it before a certain forum member performs her usual community service by getting in first.

Edited: clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:

jemmaedias

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys. Thank you for all your replies. As a first port of call, I stopped using alcohol wipes and just washed the area with a flannel and hot water before doing the set change. The rash has gone completely!!!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi guys. Thank you for all your replies. As a first port of call, I stopped using alcohol wipes and just washed the area with a flannel and hot water before doing the set change. The rash has gone completely!!!

That’s great news, glad to hear it’s gone :)

Reactions: gemma_T1