Sending my 12 year old abroad on a school trip! Help...

Lisaandwill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So my son is 12, he has type 1, diagnosed 18 months ago, he's now on the pump. His school are going to Sri Lanka on a rugby tour for 10 days. On the one hand I don't want his diabetes to stop him leading a normal life, but I also need to make sure he is safe. Any experience of sending children away with the school would be most helpful. thank you.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Lisaandwill - I can't help much with your query, but just wanted to welcome you to the forum and bump your post up the lists.

Reactions: Lisaandwill

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,
I don’t have any experience of school trips away...my t1 daughter is 7 and I home school. Sri Lanka for 10 days is a biggie! Wow. Do you have cgm? We use dexcom g5 and prior to that g4 with nightscout. If you can remotely monitor you’d have much more peace of mind and be able to offer a lot of support via text etc. Other than that you need to have an extremely detailed care plan set up with school, with well trained support staff and the agreement from them to night test etc.

Best wishes, it’s an exciting opportunity for him so long as it’s well organised.

Lisaandwill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there,
I don’t have any experience of school trips away...my t1 daughter is 7 and I home school. Sri Lanka for 10 days is a biggie! Wow. Do you have cgm? We use dexcom g5 and prior to that g4 with nightscout. If you can remotely monitor you’d have much more peace of mind and be able to offer a lot of support via text etc. Other than that you need to have an extremely detailed care plan set up with school, with well trained support staff and the agreement from them to night test etc.

Best wishes, it’s an exciting opportunity for him so long as it’s well organised.
Thank you for your reply. He uses the freestyle libre and I was thinking of getting him the Ambrose that attaches to the libre as it has alarms for night time. He is very independent and manages he's diabetes well. But he would have to guess all of his carbs w
Hi there,

Thank you! he uses a freestyle Libre and he is very independent already and great at carb counting. We are now looking at going with him on the trip as I'm really not sure if I can risk him being looked after for 10 days without a parent. It is a huge thing, he is doing a camping trip in June for 4 days, but that is in the U.K. Also I've heard about the Ambrose, which can attach to the Libre and set alarms when heading for a low. x