AFM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What is the limit of insulin units one can take per day

D

Deleted Account

I was not aware there was a limit but I know insulin doses vary widely from person to person.
We take what we need to maintain a good steady BG.

The only limit for me is what causes hypos.

AFM

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was not aware there was a limit but I know insulin doses vary widely from person to person.
We take what we need to maintain a good steady BG.

The only limit for me is what causes hypos.
The reason for this question is I started on about 10 units of insulin before breakfast and 10 before dinner about a month ago, after being on tablets since 2001, but not I am up to 44 units morning and night and my readings are still above what I am supposed to be between 7 and 11

D

Deleted Account

The reason for this question is I started on about 10 units of insulin before breakfast and 10 before dinner about a month ago, after being on tablets since 2001, but not I am up to 44 units morning and night and my readings are still above what I am supposed to be between 7 and 11
I suggest you talk to your diabetes team about managing your BG levels.
They are best to advise your insulin dose and perhaps other management techniques such as diet and exercise.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As well as the insulin, are you on other diabetes medication? You seem to have insulin resistance which could be helped by other meds.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes if you have excess weight then you need to reduce the carbs to avoid insulin resistance. If the problem persist you may need to be asked to be swapped to the Basal/Bolus regime which gives better control but needs 4 to 5 injections.