Just having a grump - Anyone want to join?

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blizzards where I live this morning, so lots of coordination and decision making as soon as we got up. I didn't test immediately upon waking as I usually do, and ended up testing an hour and a half later. I was at 7 - which I expected but was still annoyed by. Dawn phenomenon means i'm always high in the morning, but I had got it under some sort of control with cream right after testing stopping the steep morning rise.

I've not eaten much today (and no carbs) and i'm still hovering at 7! My routine is totally out of whack, i've not had my usual walk, so I suspect lack of exercise might be the culprit here. Just on a bit of a grump at my BG spiking the moment I do anything different and wanted to vent! I'm only a month old Type 2, so i'm trying to be dead positive in general, but today i'm in a grump.

Also wanted to vent about the vast basket of Easter chocolate in my office. I can cope with people eating chocolate, but the constant loud exclamations and the 'Ooh I really shouldn't!' as they eat and eat and eat are driving me up the wall a bit. Almost glad I couldn't get into work this morning.

Anyone else fancy a moan?

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
7 is good, very good, praise worthy and so diligent for someone so new. With the BHA1fc being over a 2-3 month period 1 day is not a pattern and sounds like you have a plan, it just didn't work out on the exercise today

As for the easter eggs in the office, it's not the chocolates fault, it's the owners. smash the eggs into little bits, see the looks on their faces and laugh. (Joking). Sorry can't help on that one, people arte mostly just jerks!

Reactions: Prem51

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I second smashing the eggs up, laughing, and shouting "it's not Easter yet, you fools!" Joking of course, but the thought tickles me.

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7 is good, very good, praise worthy and so diligent for someone so new. With the BHA1fc being over a 2-3 month period 1 day is not a pattern and sounds like you have a plan, it just didn't work out on the exercise today

As for the easter eggs in the office, it's not the chocolates fault, it's the owners. smash the eggs into little bits, see the looks on their faces and laugh. (Joking). Sorry can't help on that one, people arte mostly just jerks!
Thank you so much. That's really kind. Your reply made me feel a bit better.
Now to egg smashing fantasy land, where all my dreams come true!

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I was annoyed with myself this morning because I was starving on the way to work and succumbed to a fry up at the greasy spoon round the corner (low-carb stuff, natch!) and I don't normally eat till lunchtime. Of course I then blamed the freezing weather for making me hungry.

What cheered me up was my blood glucose reading a couple of hours later, a nice 6.3 rather than the 7 I normally get at that time of the morning.

Then I got annoyed all over again when a well-meaning (new) colleague kept insisting that pure sugar cane is "fine" for people with diabetes, despite my protestations to the contrary.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I second smashing the eggs up, laughing, and shouting "it's not Easter yet, you fools!" Joking of course, but the thought tickles me.
But (grumble grumbe grump grump grump) do't you fools know that is now the Done Thing to start buying your Christmas party food as early as September and as soon as the New Year appears over the horizon out come not only those Easter eggs but hot cross buns (which I believe my husband can buy year round...:wideyed:)

But best of all us crafters who like to make our own Christmas cards are now expected buy the necessaries and make them five or six months ahead - "Christmas in July " is annually promoted by one of the craft tv shopping channels.

Spoils all the pleasure of anticipation doesn't it! :banghead:
(continues grumble grumbe grump grump grump...)

Then I got annoyed all over again when a well-meaning (new) colleague kept insisting that pure sugar cane is "fine" for people with diabetes, despite my protestations to the contrary.
I'll send them my highly educated and instant expert on diabetes husband then, who advised me that all sugar comes from sugar cane, and that food with added sugar is fine for me as there's less of it :wideyed: when I've tried to point out just why I sometimes need to check nutritionl labelling on various foods,)

(further continues grumble grumbe grump grump grump...)

And I'm bloomimg FREEZING and can't get warm at all even though we actually have had the heating on today...

But I feel a little better now for being able to join you in a long grumpy rant!

Robbity
(off to see if grumping's actually helped with blood pressure levels)

acs1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You might find that the very high percentage dark chocolates bars are ok to eat. There is even one that is 99% Chocolate. However it is rather bitter but if you want an Easter choc treat might be worth a try. Certainly milk chocolate is a bad idea.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband has just made a tray of flapjacks, as he and DS are home for the next few days.....................

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I love a good ol' chunter, I find it cleansing! Chunter away ;)

Reactions: dbr10 and DJC3

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Thank you so much. That's really kind. Your reply made me feel a bit better.
Now to egg smashing fantasy land, where all my dreams come true!
I agree with the "Easter egg smashing" and I'm NOT joking. I think it would be absolutely hilarious to see their reactions. I would so do it just for the laugh

MS6502

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get them to donate the Easter eggs to a local children’s hospice. They may give some to the children but also some of it is used in the senses room, where the children that are really ill can’t eat the chocolate so they use it for painting with their fingers. My two children donate all of their Easter Eggs every year since they saw that happen. My partner is a Weightwatchers coach and every Easter and Christmas her members bring in Easter eggs / selection boxes to be donated to Bluebell Wood Children’s Hospice. I’ve been a type 2 for 10 years, and I’ve struggled with my bg’s today. Not been out for my normal walks due to the terrible condition of the roads and foot paths. I been walking up and down the stairs, but not the same as being outside. I normally walk 10 to 15 miles every day, which does help me control my bg’s. Don’t knock yourself for one day, keep monitoring, keep control. Small steps conquer Large mountains

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love a good ol' chunter, I find it cleansing! Chunter away ;)
I tend to get a bit mithered if people start chuntering and blathering at me too much....

I love those words though, and it's ages since I've hear anyone (apart from me) use "chunter"! I think I live at the wrong end of the country now though.

Robbity

Reactions: Sue192 and Guzzler

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My grump... heading away on Tuesday. Wondered why the house was cold last night.. boiler kept turning itself off because of the frozen condensate pipe, so called a plumber friend to see if they had any lagging ... thankfully they did... but heating had been off since 7. Mate left at ... 9:45...heating goes off at night at 10 and you need a degree in electronic engineering to reprogram the thermostat.

I have my fasting blood test this morning and have been awake since 5am thanks to the howling winds and my Sky dish dancing the night away.

So I am lying in bed, in a fleece and tracky bottoms with socks pulled up over the top (what... it’s a look!!!) wondering how many carbs are in a duvet and whether mine is edible.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@RFSMarch just sat down after flushing our condensation pipe with boiling water, can't believe how quickly the temp dropped. Hope your heating is back on now!

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@RFSMarch just sat down after flushing our condensation pipe with boiling water, can't believe how quickly the temp dropped. Hope your heating is back on now!

Yeah thankfully although I almost broke my neck on the icy surface where the flushed condensate pip last night had, of course, frozen all over the place. Much grumbling. Much much grumbling!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This year's machine knitting exhibition is cancelled, there is ice everywhere, so it is far too dangerous to be tempting people out of their houses.
We have never had any great problems with the weather - in fact over 20 years all that happened was one shower of hailstones during the day, but it is my once a yearly meet up with lots of old friends.
Ah well - next year, perhaps.
Last night I burnt the potatoes for my husband's dinner - the gas was really low and I turned it right up -turned my back for a couple of minutes and it was smoking!!
Ah well - at least we are safe and warm and the fridges and freezer are full, and if necessary I can use the camping equipment or barbecue to cook with, and there are candles too, and torches. I am sure we can survive comfortably enough.

Reactions: MS6502

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might find that the very high percentage dark chocolates bars are ok to eat. There is even one that is 99% Chocolate. However it is rather bitter but if you want an Easter choc treat might be worth a try. Certainly milk chocolate is a bad idea.
Be aware if you eat it at work though there will be some berk asking you 'Whether you can eat that'!!!!

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

BB8.HG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Be aware if you eat it at work though there will be some berk asking you 'Whether you can eat that'!!!!

Every. Single. Time. I'm having my afternoon square of 85% with a cuppa and through mouthfuls of bread, chocolate and full sugar coke I hear 'Are you allowed that?'.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Every. Single. Time. I'm having my afternoon square of 85% with a cuppa and through mouthfuls of bread, chocolate and full sugar coke I hear 'Are you allowed that?'.
I have a colleague who actually snorts when I mention I sometimes have a small amount of 85% dark chocolate and do you realise how much fat is in a spoonful of peanut butter?, when I've mentioned that. She also knows and can see I've lost weight while changing my diet to low carb - doesn't stop the snorting though!

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10