Coffee & Diabetes

marvinlzinn1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Interesting subject to read, I am probably right that adding sugar is the only problem. However, I never drank coffee in my entire 72 years (except to keep me awake when I had to drive all night) because I do not like the flavor or even smell of it. What I do like is peppermint tea that I was raised with. (My parents never had that addictive coffee in the house.)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink three cups of full caffeine with double cream in the morning and up to three decaff rest of day @nd no impact at all. In fact the opposite - if I’m fasting the effect of the double cream tends to bring my bgs down and no difference whether caffeinated or not.

I’m thinking about fasting to help bring numbers down quicker, bit nervous about starting though- how much coffee with cream do you drink on fast days?
Don’t think it’d be such a daunting prospect if I could look forward to a couple of creamy coffees.

ainiabdul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not having chocolate, it's a darn disaster!
Wow! Thanks everyone. I was baffled the other day that when I tested my BG after a cup of caffeinated cappuccino from a coffee shop, it went up significantly. So perhaps that coffee had some sort of sugar traces in it.

I am a big coffee drinker and would be sad if I have to give it up.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m thinking about fasting to help bring numbers down quicker, bit nervous about starting though- how much coffee with cream do you drink on fast days?
Don’t think it’d be such a daunting prospect if I could look forward to a couple of creamy coffees.
Similar to other days so often three in am I do tend to water down the cream though if have three so about a tablespoon of cream in total over the three. I add water to the cream also to froth it up as I like a flat white - it does fill you up and helps you fast I find whilst keeping blood sugar in check. I also have about same amount in my pm decaffeinated although when trying to be really strict and lose weight have at times stuck to black coffee on fasting days in the afternoon when my blood glucose tends to be lower anyway. Good luck I found fasting worked over a period of time to really bring the numbers - weight and blood sugars - down. I now stick to no breakfast most days and just have coffee.

Reactions: DJC3

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Love coffee but cannot do caffeinated ... change to decaf if you must.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! Thanks everyone. I was baffled the other day that when I tested my BG after a cup of caffeinated cappuccino from a coffee shop, it went up significantly. So perhaps that coffee had some sort of sugar traces in it.

Cappuccino is going to be made with milk possibly skimmed or semi skimmed which are fairly high carb I never drink milk any more in anything because of its impact on my bgs I only have double cream which is low carb and dosent affect my blood glucose. I’ve been known to take cream with me if I know a cafe dosent offer cream as an option or just drink it black on those occasions!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

That explains it! It wasn't the coffee, it was the milk. :) And coffee from a coffee shop could well have added sugar in it.

QPR4Me

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Exercise machines and Gyms. Avoid like the plague.
I love a cup of Columbian (with Caffeine) in the morning, two sweeteners, and a drop of 1% fat milk. No effect on blood sugars. Drink Tea by the gallon for the rest of the day :)

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coffee doesn't affect me.
I had begun to worry that it was increasing my bg significantly when I started on low carb. Every day, for a treat, I'd get a vente skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks, and within minutes my bg would really spike. That's when I found out they're using regular, sugary vanilla syrup and not sugar-free! I was really unhappy.
Now, I have a vente latte with sugar-free vanilla and I'm back to no spikes.

Hi there, I wonder if anyone uses coffee whitener? I use this in my coffee to give me the creamy taste as I didn’t know that full fat cream was ‘allowed’ (too many years on diets!).

supertel

I drink three to four 120ml cups of coffee a day and this does not effect my BG. I have a "bean to cup" machine so always fresh. I drink it black and do not take any sugar or sweeteners. I definitely DO NOT USE SWEETENERS any time.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, I wonder if anyone uses coffee whitener? I use this in my coffee to give me the creamy taste as I didn’t know that full fat cream was ‘allowed’ (too many years on diets!).

Is there a nutrition guide on the packet? Have a look and see what the total carbs are.

Real cream, single or double, is perfectly acceptable for us. Fats do not raise blood sugar levels, and indeed they help us.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There are just somethings I will not do and that's one of them.

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink vast amounts of coffee (easily 6 cups per day), freshly brewed, black, nothing added. My BG is under control (see signature)! I was however a bit worried about the effect on blood pressure, so I bought a blood pressure monitor and tested a multiple-day period with coffee, and a multiple-day period without coffee, and the average blood pressure was the same. I repeated that test several times, same result.