Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
That seems to suggest breaking down stored fat. So you are saying we somehow convert eaten fat to stored fat, then break it down, along with previously stored fat? I'm getting really confused. I need to know how that extra fat I eat, doesn't get processed, not stored, used, broken down, breathed out.
Or are you saying you were wrong, and it's all stored regardless of what it came from?
Fat remains stored unless it is needed by the body. If you are low carbing, your body will use recently ingested fat as opposed to stored fat. When it has used the ingested fat it will begin to use the stored fat.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well as we know that eating fat does not make you fat
however, eating too much fat, more than I need each day, will make me fat.

Fat, of itself, doesnt not make body fat, but any excess food and drink, of whatever type, is stored as fat in my body.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fat remains stored unless it is needed by the body. If you are low carbing, your body will use recently ingested fat as opposed to stored fat. When it has used the ingested fat it will begin to use the stored fat.

I'm glad it's not just me that's weird then. If I pig out, anything makes me fat.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I find it quite amazing that all the fat I have eaten over the past 2 years has left me lighter by 8 stone..

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I find it quite amazing that all the fat I have eaten over the past 2 years has left me lighter by 8 stone..

Reckon you aren't on 3500 calories of fat then?
Every day for two years?

If you are though, crack on, you have found you own way, that suits you.
Not for everyone though.

Otherwise you'd be the NHS lol.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
not amazing if it is less than the amount your body needs. How do you know that the loss is due to your fat intake?

please bear in mind that some of us, including me, need minuscule amounts of anything, so it takes very little excess of any food or drink to stall weight loss, or put weight on. I managed 10 mins swimming this week, for the first time in a month. I have to look at the bigger picture and monitor everything i eat and drink calorifically as well as carb-orifucally (is that a word?)

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Er, both.
Well, unless you're under weight.

A lot find they eat fats to excess, and pile weight on when they start the low carb thing.
High fat isn't a bottomless bucket.
Fat doesn't make you fat. Only high insulin makes you fat, from eating high glycemic load carbohydrates.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fat doesn't make you fat. Only high insulin makes you fat, from eating high glycemic load carbohydrates.

Course it doesn't.
Each to our happy place.

So, if you live purely on fat, how long would you survive before you die?
Because you don't use ingested fat, but pass it through?

ROFL

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Fat doesn't make you fat, only high insulin can do that. Lowering insulin you can lose a half kilo a day. Eating no high glycemic load carbohydrates.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fat doesn't make you fat, only high insulin can do that. Lowering insulin you can lose a half kilo a day. Eating no high glycemic load carbohydrates.

Like I said, pure fat, you'll die?
Or is there a magic happening so ft makes you not fat, but perfect?
Then it makes you stay not unfat?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is some evidence that for some people changing to a diet that excludes common causes of food intolerance ( grains and milk are particularly common culprits alongside eggs, nightshade family vegetables, soya and e numbers) leads to significant weight loss, without any particular focus on calories or fat intake
In my case after 23/24 years of putting weight on at the rate of a stone a year and failing to lose weight however low I went calorie wise, I lost 61/2 stone in 6 months and a total of 9-10stone overall by having food intolerances diagnosed and sorted, despite an increase in overall calorie intake . Severly limiting / avoiding the things I reacted to has kept the weight off
All happened years before dx as diabetic
As has been said many times before - we are all different when it comes to mtabolism / diet

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
excess ingested fat is stored in the body as visceral or subcutaneous fat.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are people actually asserting that there is some magical property in dietary fat which prevents excessive intake of the bodies needs being stored as adipose fat?

If so, our ancestors building up fat stores for times of famine is a nonsense.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is some evidence that for some people changing to a diet that excludes common causes of food intolerance ( grains and milk are particularly common culprits alongside eggs, nightshade family vegetables, soya and e numbers) leads to significant weight loss, without any particular focus on calories or fat intake
In my case after 23/24 years of putting weight on at the rate of a stone a year and failing to lose weight however low I went calorie wise, I lost 61/2 stone in 6 months and a total of 9-10stone overall by having food intolerances diagnosed and sorted, despite an increase in overall calorie intake . Severly limiting / avoiding the things I reacted to has kept the weight off
All happened years before dx as diabetic
As has been said many times before - we are all different when it comes to mtabolism / diet

Well no offense like, but gaining 24 stone on top of what 10 stone? So 30+ stone to start?
I started only at 17 stone, and lost 6 so no idea what that means to anyone
But I did it by watching what I ate.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well no offense like, but gaining 24 stone on top of what 10 stone? So 30+ stone to start?
I started only at 17 stone, and lost 6 so no idea what that means to anyone
But I did it by watching what I ate.
No Youve misread / misinterpreted what I wrote which was about gaining weight from the age of 0 to the age of 23/4 at the rate of a stone a year.
6 1/2 stone lost in 6 months then another 3 stone over the next 4-6 months achieved by avoiding the foods I tested intolerant to and taking anti allergy meds for several years. now 13 stone (so same weight I was at 13) and have been for the last 35+ years

Last edited:

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are people actually asserting that there is some magical property in dietary fat which prevents excessive intake of the bodies needs being stored as adipose fat?

If so, our ancestors building up fat stores for times of famine is a nonsense.

I was thinking that.
"fat doesn't make you fat."
Fat eating is rubbish.
The only way to put on fat for the hard times is carbs, so that's what mankind had to evolve to.
The fat eaters died in winter.

End of story for fat eaters.

Carb eaters ate the frozen stick like bodies for protein lol

trotskyite

I was thinking that.
"fat doesn't make you fat."
Fat eating is rubbish.
The only way to put on fat for the hard times is carbs, so that's what mankind had to evolve to.
The fat eaters died in winter.

End of story for fat eaters.

Carb eaters ate the frozen stick like bodies for protein lol
No offense but that is complete historical and scientific nonsense. The thinest societies have the highest carb intakes eg Japan. I have just had this conversation with the fatemperor on twitter they have no science behind their stance. When scientist s and medical doctors refute their assertions with rcts they fall back on anecdotes and quote highly suspect book sellers like taubes. The emperor has no clothes. Shocking to see talk of the thoroughly debunked insulin hypothesis when it was so roundly refuted by researchers led by Kevin hall. I refer you to the excellent debunking of taubes insulin hypothesis by real scientist Stephan guyenet.
  • was funded by the Nutrition Science Initiative, a nonprofit involving Gary Taubes that has been funding additional research to test the carbohydrate-insulin hypothesis of obesity. This is the second of three studies NuSI has funded. The first study showed that a very-low-carbohydrate ketogenic diet doesn’t accelerate fat loss or meaningfully increase metabolic rate relative to a high-carbohydrate, high-sugar diet of equal calories and protein, despite large differences in insulin levels (implying that ketogenic diets promote weight loss by causing people to spontaneously eat fewer calories). So far, these studies are doing a remarkably effective job of further refuting the carbohydrate-insulin hypothesis.
  • It was large and well-designed. In included 609 people and the research plan was registered in advance, including which outcomes would be the most important (primary). This guarantees that the researchers couldn’t tweak the methods after the fact or use selective outcome reporting to obtain a preferred outcome.
  • It didn’t involve deliberate calorie restriction in either group. One of the (valid) complaints of the low-carbohydrate community is that in randomized trials, non-calorie-restricted low-carbohydrate diets are often compared with calorie-restricted low-fat diets. Some have speculated that if low-fat dieters were allowed to eat until full rather than controlling portion size, they wouldn’t lose weight, and they might even gain. This is not the case.
  • It focused on diet quality in both groups. All participants were told to focus on unrefined foods and cook at home whenever possible. This is in contrast to the wimpy low-fat control groups in many randomized trials of low-carbohydrate diets, which I call the “Snackwell diet”.http://www.stephanguyenet.com/the-second-nusi-funded-diet-trial-has-arrived/

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thinest societies have the highest carb intakes

So, carbs make you thin!

Stroll on!
You learn something every day on here

I wouldn't argue, 'cos I ate fat, and guess what?
I got fat!

Status
Not open for further replies.