Thirst?

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
LADA diagnosed in January. The last week or so I’ve been struggling with extreme thirst that can’t be helped and lips are so dry. May just be me but saliva isn’t as “watery” as normal more gloopy I no to much info but only way to describe it. I have been drinking lots of water etc but it’s constant. I know this is a side effect of diabetes but what else can I do?

D

Deleted Account

Thirst is a symptom of high BG: your body's attempt to flush out the excess glucose. But it may be a symptom of something else.
What are your readings like?

spage

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bit low to be honest 4.6 now 5.3 and hour ago

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bit low to be honest 4.6 now 5.3 and hour ago
That shouldn't give you those symptoms. Are you testing after food as well? You write you are LADA but under your name it says type2.

windy2k14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi I am type 2 as well with average readings about 5.4. I often drink a lot when I dont feel well (not diabetes related), this is partly because the BG can go mental if you are feeling unwell. To keep lips a bit less dry I use one of the lip moisturisers such as lip butter. That really helps. The weather can also affect how much I drink even though my BG may be in what I call "my range" which is between 4.4 and 7.8. If I get a bit on the warm side I can drink as much as 6 litres of water in 24 hours but dont find its much to worry about as it only goes on for a day or 2.

During one of the thirsty spells I put a small amount of lemon juice in water (just enough to taste) and that often will take the edge off. Can be difficult though. Doesn't help when you have quite a few other problems as I do.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember that the "extreme thirst" and "frequent urination" symptoms you see when you Google diabetes refer to diabetes with pretty high blood sugars (generally about 10 to spill glucose into urine). If I had a dime for every thread I've seen about thirsty and peeing a lot on diabetes forums I'd be a rich man. Guys with big prostates getting up 3-4 times a night to pee. Gotta be diabetes right? Lol.