Managing exercise and insulin

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I normally run 3 or 4 times a week either 5k or 10k for the last 30 Years, If i have a run in the Morning i take my normal injections and Carbs i do my Blood test and see what it is, If it is below 8 i take around 30 Grams of Lucozade After 20 Mins i then stop and test again, This works for me. I have also used the website excarbs.com which is useful.

Thanks for that website - its one of the best I've seen for telling you how to manage exercise and T1. I can't stand Lucozade but I've been finding I need a high sugar / high fat snack before riding the horses (toffee crisp or peanut tracker bars seem to do it!). I was feeling a bit guilty about this - neither are exactly high on the list of health food options - but after reading that site I understand that the glucose in my blood stream only lasts 30 mins in exercise so I NEED to have more on board if I'm not to collapse. I definitely use it up because I've got a short car journey to work or home afterwards and I'm often having to pop a glucose tablet to hit the magic '5 to drive'. I also still haven't put on the weight I lost last year prior to diagnosis.

@NoKindOfSusie - keeping bloods between 5-7 (ish) is definitely the range for normal people, but my consultant says a T1D would struggle with such a narrow range. He's more concerned about me not ending up in hypo range than running with bloods a bit high - seems quite refreshing compared to a lot I read on here. Give yourself a bit of slack and if you're still feeling really, really rough then get your vitamin D and B12 checked as well.

Reactions: Madmaureen

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I normally run 3 or 4 times a week either 5k or 10k for the last 30 Years, If i have a run in the Morning i take my normal injections and Carbs i do my Blood test and see what it is, If it is below 8 i take around 30 Grams of Lucozade After 20 Mins i then stop and test again, This works for me. I have also used the website excarbs.com which is useful.
Thanks for this site. I've also used runsweet.com, but I have to confess I got turned off by the jargon!

I've always enjoyed cycling, although don't have much time for it these days, sadly. I used to go out for whole days on the bike. I now run 5k three or four times a week with a reluctant dog. It took me a long time to build up to this, though, like about a year. You just have to start small.

My advice to anyone wanting to get into exercise is that there's a lot of trial and error involved, establishing what works for you. I would recommend getting a pump if you can, as it makes life a lot easier. In any event, taking on extra carbs is the way I've always done it, usually with an isotonic sports drink. These have the advantage of not being fizzy, and I've found that if I just sip as normal, I can maintain good BG levels during long rides. This obviously works for endurance sports like cycling, swimming or distance running, but high-intensity stuff like weights is different. More recently, I've made my own isotonic drinks with maltodextrin (bought from bulkpowders.com), added to water and squash with a pinch of salt. About 40-45 grams in 750-800 ml. Much cheaper!

I've also been very lucky with advice from my healthcare team, who gave me some really valuable help. See what help you can get from your consultant and/or DSN.

Exercise with Type 1 can take a while to get into, especially when getting into a new sport. But playing the long game really pays off in terms of the gains to your health. My BG control is always so much easier when I'm in a regular exercise regime.

@NoKindOfSusie, it sounds to me like you just need to take things one step at a time... You will get there in the end, and will be a stronger person when you do.

Reactions: RitaCheetah

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi mate,

Glad to know you do a lot of exercise!

I was a top level tennis player and just wondering if we can have a private chat please?

Just want to ask a few private questions.

Andrew

Blue_Star

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Im a type 1 diabetic for over 18 years and my exercise of choice is cycling. The problem I've been having is trouble controlling POST WORKOUT HYPERGLYCEMIA, where blood sugar levels are much higher than I would normally have in the entire day. Does any body know what to do in those times??I read on ADA that taking ONE UNIT LESS of fast acting insulin is the way to control it. Is that true. Does anyone else have this issue and how do u deal with it??
My hyper levels stay up to the next morning, so taking extra Novorapid unit at dinner isn't helping either. Next morning it's still higher than what i normally get. My last A1c was 6.5

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Blue_Star How long are you cycling for and what sort of distances are you doing ?

High BG levels post exercise is attributable to the hormones released during exercise, so cortisol as a hormone will impact on your levels, what readings are you getting ? As long as your BG levels during exercise are manageable, so you're not dipping then controlling them post exercise will mean taking the right correction dose to manage the impact of this and then of course regular blood tests afterwards to control the rise. The fact they are staying up till next morning would indicate you need to adjust your correction ratio.

Blue_Star

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Blue_Star How long are you cycling for and what sort of distances are you doing ?

High BG levels post exercise is attributable to the hormones released during exercise, so cortisol as a hormone will impact on your levels, what readings are you getting ? As long as your BG levels during exercise are manageable, so you're not dipping then controlling them post exercise will mean taking the right correction dose to manage the impact of this and then of course regular blood tests afterwards to control the rise. The fact they are staying up till next morning would indicate you need to adjust your correction ratio.
I bike for an hour at moderate levels and my levels are around 4 to 6 before exercise and 2/3 hours post exercise they can get around 8 and even higher which is strange at times. I usually don't eat high carbs or calorie meal that have an post exercise affect or do strenuous biking for extended periods at a time. And the fact that this happens on a few occasions and not daily, OR for 3/4 days in row and stops happening is even stranger and leaves me clueless as to what is going on at the time. My doctor said not to make any changes to my insulin doses as my A1c result is quite good and there's no need to increase or decrease so i guess there's nothing to be concerned about. It could be due to anxiety or stress

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A few quick questions I exercise about 4 times a week weights 3x times a week and cardio once:
  • Does the time you train after after insulin have an impact on your performance and BG levels, some times I train early in the morning after breakfast and a reduced shot of NR, and other days I train around 7-8pm when my background insulin levels are at their lowest and before dinner and NR on these occasions I take about 20g of carbs if BG are <8.
  • Post work out shakes, if i train early in the morning I take post workout shake (15g carbs 6g fat 40g protein) usually about 3 hrs taking after the NR, some days it causes a spike and some days it does not levels are usually around 4-7 before the shake, the question is would you guys bolus for this or not, as I usually have lunch 2-3 hours after the shake and will need to bolus for that.
This is all abit new to be as I was on the 30/70 regime for 30+ years and didn't really have to consider the above it was literally jab eat and train!!!!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I feel a little down after reading most of this thread because it seems that for the most part exercise has been parked in the too difficult/complicated with type 1 category.
I exercise and will aknowledge here that with type 1 it is tricky and I am unsure of the benefits when I consider the short term highs (weight training) and lows I have had when doing long runs or just cycling to work. It is a head you know what.
Why exercise then? My thought process is that diabetes is increasing my CV risk therefore I must counteract that risk by not being sedentary. And yes there is some bloody mindedness about using type 1 as any kind of an excuse too. But I do have to start out at a 10 to avoid hypos and do have to either increase basal or do a correction dose if lifting weights so I worry that overall I am not winning the war against microvascular/ macrovascular damage. All I know is that I feel better when I have done it and that when I did need head space, running gave me that in spite of the incessant need for precautions. If you believe you have to be perfect all the time in blood sugar terms then exercise is definitely not for you btw. Personally I accept the messiness of it all.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @O_DP_T1 Look up the Diabetic Weights and Fitness page on Facebook - there's alot of good posts on there about t1 weight training.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @NicoleC1971 I think by having this thread is just encouragement to anyone who already exercises and those who don't do it and what to think about if you do it, as we know it takes a bit of effort to get your plan together so that you can get out there and keep fit, which is essential in helping manage your health. I learned the importance simply because about 18 months ago I started to get issues with my shoulder, thumb and ankles and pain, and ended up having steroid injections which did very little apart from raising my BG levels, but I started walking longer distances about a year ago and then about August last year I started running, since then the pain from all joints has disappeared completely and of course i've got fitter in the process. There are some forms of exercise which I haven't quite grasped yet so yoga didn't work for me, but there is a way round all of these and it starts with a plan. Personally I like reading about what exercise other type 1's do and how they manage, it's encouraging.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
been diabetic for 23yrs and have exercised all the way through it, all in strength sports, strongman and now powerlifting (but only bench press and deadlift due to other issues) over the years I found that the only problem is dealing with the low sugars during the night (especially after really heavy sessions) but the older I have gotten I suffer more from cramp in my Hamstrings after/during exercise. other than that all good, I remember to test before training and after, just to keep a check on things.
currently not training too heavy/seriously due to both eyes being operated on in March, but when I get the all clear I will be resuming full power.

Reactions: kev-w and therower

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
In a way yes, I have proliferative retinopathy in my right eye (4 lots of laser, and counting) with cataracts in both eyes , hence two operations

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes my sugars drop during the night, before I was on the pump it was a bit of a problem, managing it. But now I run a temp basal and monitor my BS before bed to see if I can catch it before it happens. But all in all the diabetes never stopped me from doing what I wanted to, exercise wise

Reactions: kev-w and Juicyj

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@johnpol I was getting the same night time lows on the 30/70 regime after a heavy session. On this MDI it's not so bad, I''ve not yet grasps the concept of lower basal but an trying. At the moment I just lower the bolus when I take it and it seems to be ok most the time.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@johnpol I was getting the same night time lows on the 30/70 regime after a heavy session. On this MDI it's not so bad, I''ve not yet grasps the concept of lower basal but an trying. At the moment I just lower the bolus when I take it and it seems to be ok most the time.
I wouldn't lower your Basal too much, as it can effect your Bolus as well, dependent on what Basal insulin you are on. when I was on injections I used to test 2 hrs after training as that seemed to be when it would start. but it never seemed to follow a set pattern tho, low at midnight, then followed by a low at two in the morning. so I took to having a supper before bed with minimal bolus (just not enough to cover it, if you now what I mean) then just suck it and see!!

ablackman11a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I never called myself a runner when I could just run whenever I wanted, I was just someone who went running, however I have been saying "I was a runner" quite a bit. Totally a case of not realising what you have until it is gone. It wasn't really about fitness (though I was fit), it was about head space and getting some time to think. I used to do it to process ideas like "should I make this big financial commitment" or "should I move into that flat" or "I have type 1 diabetes and that is horrifying." So I basically can't do the thing that I usually would do in order to deal with the problem and I didn't really know I was using it like that.

I have tried to go running, I have not been able to do it without feeling really bad. Right now as I sit here I feel like I am just getting over a bout of flu as I have for weeks, and if I run I can only go at half speed and one quarter distance and the feeling gets worse until I get the shakes and have to stop.

If I can only run if I do a bunch of preparation and mental arithmetic and risk feeling bad, then I will just be thinking about those things all the time and it will defeat the purpose of doing it. Looking back I realise that the purpose of running was to be free of day to day cares and spend some time going over things in my head, and if I can't do that then frankly it is totally pointless.

To end on something useful if not positive, anyone who suspects they have this disease needs to see a doctor absolutely immediately because part of my problem is ketoacidosis which has completely torn up any level of fitness I had. Do not delay, I could have had it for WAY less time and been WAY less damaged by it.

ablackman11a

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry to hear that, it resonates with me as I used to run when I was much younger - pretty much. I have started to slowly discover it. I feel pain when I excercise or run down. However doing excercises slowly in the gym and mindfully, I feel I am making progress. I find I cannot run on the street - so started on the running machine. Its not the same, but its a start. I do about 30mins and work up a sweat. Im slight overweight, but the running really is a quick way to burn the carbs and bring my sugar levels down. Hope this helps. Basically use a treadmill. U can get off any time you want. At least until u feel fit again, I can see it happening for me - if I put the work in and manage my eating properly.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No running on street for me. Every old guy I see doing that has the most anguished look on his face. It's awful. That is not an old guy's activity. I bet they wake up with so many aches and pains it's scary.