Re diagnosed!

Hansi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had a very severe attack of acute pancreatitis in 2015 followed by a number of small incidents since but the problem is that I now have contracted Type 2 diabetes and my last HBA1C test yesterday was 91! I have been trying to control this by diet, but my GP put me on metformin 500mg twice daily. I am very careful what I eat but it seems the the pancreatitis has damaged my pancreas, and whatever I seem to do, I can't really control the diabetes very well. I don't drink, don't smoke and try to eat healthy. Don't know what else I can do
icon_confused.gif
I am male aged 74. Should I be buying a blood glucose monitor and checking it myself.My GP didn't mention this at all.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Yes, you need to be monitoring your blood glucose levels. You need to know what is going on before and after meals. Good control can't be achieved without one. A monitor is as important as a steering wheel is to driving a car.

Hansi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you. Is there any particular monitor you would recommend as I haven't a clue about the different features?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A great idea to get a meter as some of the food we consider to be healthy is what is keeping our blood sugar raised. With testing you will be able to see the impact of different foods and try to make adjustments.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another vote for SD Code Free monitor. If you do order it, here’s some discount codes for the strips if you buy in bulk:
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
The codes can be used over and over again, they take off around £18 if you buy 10 packs.
Don't forget to check the box stating you have diabetes and the VAT is deducted.
Now regarding your diet, you say you eat healthily, but can you give us some examples of your daily menu, maybe we can help you tweak it for the better.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Hansi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Another vote for SD Code Free monitor. If you do order it, here’s some discount codes for the strips if you buy in bulk:
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833
The codes can be used over and over again, they take off around £18 if you buy 10 packs.
Don't forget to check the box stating you have diabetes and the VAT is deducted.
Now regarding your diet, you say you eat healthily, but can you give us some examples of your daily menu, maybe we can help you tweak it for the better.
Ok, here's todays menu
Breakfast: Two scambled eggs with spinach and tomato on a slice of toasted home made wholemeal bread made with sugar substitute. Glass of tomato juice.

Lunch: (Main Meal) Tinned sardines with ricotta filled pasta and vegetables with above bread for dipping.

Tea. Not sure yet!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In the U.K. HbA1c is measured in mmol/mol. Finger prick tests are measured in mmol/liter so yes pick the mmol/l if you’re in the U.K. The two measurements are not directly comparable as the HbA1c works out an average of your last 2-3 months by looking at the amount of sugar stuck to your red blood cells. The finger prick is a snapshot of your blood sugar level. Here’s a converter to see how they relate:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html
My HBa1C figure is 91. Is that mmol so I kmnow which one to pick?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, here's todays menu
Breakfast: Two scambled eggs with spinach and tomato on a slice of toasted home made wholemeal bread made with sugar substitute. Glass of tomato juice.

Lunch: (Main Meal) Tinned sardines with ricotta filled pasta and vegetables with above bread for dipping.

Tea. Not sure yet!

Once you’ve got your meter start testing your meals to see what suits your body. You may find you need to ditch the bread, wholemeal is nearly as bad for carbs as white (carbs turn to sugar once eaten).

Hansi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Once you’ve got your meter start testing your meals to see what suits your body. You may find you need to ditch the bread, wholemeal is nearly as bad for carbs as white (carbs turn to sugar once eaten).
Oh dear and I love my bread but there are so many conflicting reports about it. I follow the advice in my carbs and call book

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh dear and I love my bread but there are so many conflicting reports about it. I follow the advice in my carbs and call book

The bottom line is to test and see if you can tolerate it or not.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Please get yourself a monitor and a supply of test strips, it is the only way you will know what foods are spiking your bg. If you keep a food diary, test before meals and 2 hours after you will soon see which meals raise your bg more than 2. Then you can narrow it down still further. Unfortunately, I agree with @Rachox that you may find that bread and grains are off the menu, so the pasta will have to go too! The compensation is that you may be able to eat cheese, eggs and cream again in moderation, and olives are great for a snack.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome @Hansi

It is worth going back to your doctor and asking them to check whether you have type3c diabetes, rather than type2.

Type 3c can be caused by pancreatis and pancreas damage, and needs different treatment from type2.

There are tests they can run to do a proper diagnosis, and it is well worth asking them to check, especially if you are struggling to control blood glucose levels using type 2 treatments.

I hope that helps.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, here's todays menu

Tea. Not sure yet!
Pasta, bread... Your menu sounds delicious, and healthy to boot... But not if your pancreas quit on you. Your body can't process the carbs anymore. Bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, corn, root vegetables, and most fruit won't do you any favours. I'll echo the others here... Get a meter, see what impact foods have, and go from there. Seems difficult, but there's still loads you can eat without spikes...! Veggies, meat, cheese, olives, eggs, nuts, berries, pure chocolate in moderation even... Hopefully it'll make a difference for you soon.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Hansi, sorry to hear about your pancreatitis and hope you get things sorted out....agree with what everyone above has said. However! I would encourage you to go to dietdoctor.com and look up recipes for bread. I just got an email this morning with a low carb wrap that sounds yummy and will be trying later today.....so, you can have your bread and eat it too if you are willing to try new textures and tastes:) Blessings/L

Hansi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Hansi, sorry to hear about your pancreatitis and hope you get things sorted out....agree with what everyone above has said. However! I would encourage you to go to dietdoctor.com and look up recipes for bread. I just got an email this morning with a low carb wrap that sounds yummy and will be trying later today.....so, you can have your bread and eat it too if you are willing to try new textures and tastes:) Blessings/L
Thank you for your interest and suggestions.