HbA1c disappointing!

Rob Bailey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are Type 1 then fact an HbA1c of 39mmol/mol may be getting too low. There is good evidence to suggest that Type 1s who run below 48 may be putting themselves at too high a risk of hypos. People have never had nor will ever become diabetes might have an HbA1c of 40; I wonder if we’re hoping the perfect traget might be 0!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it's a pity you didn't meet your goals, but don't be too upset - not only is 5.7% lower than most other diabetics, it's also lower than some non-diabetics! You aren't doing much damage to yourself, and a stable 5.7 is a pretty safe number to be at. Also, remember that once you get your HbA1c down to good levels, it's more about quality of life than getting that extra 0.1% improvement. I used to be 4.6 but I had a lot of rapid drops, and some hypos. These days I'm at 5.1, and like you I felt that maybe I had been a bit lax in my control, but in reality I haven't had any scary hypos and life is a whole lot better (=less scary!). Don't worry about your HbA1c too much - it's the day to day numbers you get that really matter. If you're happy that you aren't getting particularly low or high then that's the real achievement. If you are a good diabetic and put in the effort, HbA1c doesn't tell you anything you don't already know.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why on earth did you do one a month later? Of course it's the same. I think I went about 5 years between A1Cs. And guess what: it was the same!

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you a type 1 SueJB? That is an incredible hba1c and the fact that you rarely bolus. If you're T1, you must barely eat anything?!

bobjan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,
I've just had my results back for HbA1c before going to the consultant next week and to say I'm disappointed would be a huge understatement. Just needed to share, sorry there's no one at home
When diagnosed in Aug 2017 it was 13% or 119 mmols.
Down to 8.2% or 66mmols a month later
Jan this year 5.7% or 39 mmols
19th Feb EXACTLY THE SAME!!!

I've been so good, it just doesn't seem fair. I'm the one who's always banging on about being positive and I need to say "OK, it's not gone up and I almost never have to do bolus" Win but I have to admit I'm very sad.
what is HbA1c? I am supposed to be type 1, but never has the nurse or doc mentioned this.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
what is HbA1c? I am supposed to be type 1, but never has the nurse or doc mentioned this.

The HbA1c is a blood test that is used to diagnose diabetes. It measures an average of blood glucose levels over the previous 2 to 3 months. It is also used at regular intervals to check on diabetes control.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

JApple

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone,
I've just had my results back for HbA1c before going to the consultant next week and to say I'm disappointed would be a huge understatement. Just needed to share, sorry there's no one at home
When diagnosed in Aug 2017 it was 13% or 119 mmols.
Down to 8.2% or 66mmols a month later
Jan this year 5.7% or 39 mmols
19th Feb EXACTLY THE SAME!!!

I've been so good, it just doesn't seem fair. I'm the one who's always banging on about being positive and I need to say "OK, it's not gone up and I almost never have to do bolus" Win but I have to admit I'm very sad.

I am amazed at all the fantastic HBA1C results. I've been Type 1 for 42 years & the lowest I have ever had was 7 & that was many years ago. I have just had an operation cancelled because my level had gone up to 9.2 so I am on a mission now.
My tests are really good but they still fluctuate on a daily basis even though I do the same thing, which is really annoying & confusing. I need to wait for 2 months until I can have my blood tested again but I hope to goodness that it has come down.
On paper, diabetes seems really easy but add the human body into the equation & it all goes out the window. :-(

Reactions: Dodo

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am amazed at all the fantastic HBA1C results. I've been Type 1 for 42 years & the lowest I have ever had was 7 & that was many years ago. I have just had an operation cancelled because my level had gone up to 9.2 so I am on a mission now.
My tests are really good but they still fluctuate on a daily basis even though I do the same thing, which is really annoying & confusing.
I'm very similar - my last test was my best ever at 49 (6.6%), but the same as you the daily levels fluctuate a lot, one day will be completely different from the next despite the fact I've done the same things, eaten the same things etc. I suspect I'll never get to 39, ever (especially since they wont let me have a pump cos 49 is too good, but that's another story entirely)

Reactions: SueJB

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
My tests are really good but they still fluctuate on a daily basis even though I do the same thing, which is really annoying & confusing. I need to wait for 2 months until I can have my blood tested again but I hope to goodness that it has come down.
On paper, diabetes seems really easy but add the human body into the equation & it all goes out the window. :-(
Well done on your brilliant 42 years. Amazingly good. I agree totally about "on paper", the reality, which I'm only just beginning to find out, is totally different.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I'm very similar - my last test was my best ever at 49 (6.6%), but the same as you the daily levels fluctuate a lot, one day will be completely different from the next despite the fact I've done the same things, eaten the same things etc. I suspect I'll never get to 39, ever (especially since they wont let me have a pump cos 49 is too good, but that's another story entirely)
I know what you mean about daily fluctuations, BG seems to have a mind of its own despite what you eat. SOOOO many variables. I haven't got a pump either, i didn't realise getting one depended on a number. Never say never.:happy:

Paulines7

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stuck up people. People who do not care about others. Racists. Intolerant people. Tories.
I had a diabetic review with my GP last month. She was over the moon with my HbA1c of 47. She said that she wished all her patients were as good as I was in controlling my diabetes. As long as it remains below the low 50's, she said that I am unlikely to have any complications. I am a type 2.

Sue, as a Type 1 do you really want to go lower than 39? There could be a risk of hypos if you go too low.

Jon K

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed at 58mmol/L and after 3 months on metformin I was 40mmol/L but developed balance problems and tinnitus so my GP said I could come off the medication as I'd lost some weight and was doing the diet and exercise. 3 months after that I was at 41mmol/L and then in 6 monthly periods I went 39, 38 and the one last week was 37.

So losing 1mmol/L per 6 months seems to be how things have gone for me.

Remember that 31mmol/L is the lowest value on the chart and 32-42 is considered "normal". 42-48 is pre-diabetic and only over 48 is considered diabetic.

At 37 my GP said "you seem to have cured yourself". As far as he's concerned I'm no longer diabetic and as long as I keep to the diet and do the exercise I should stay so. My cholesterol is up a bit (5.3 total although LDL is only 2.5) but his view is that there's no action required and "you need to live a little".

Diabetes is an excess of glucose in the blood and if your HbA1C is less than 42 then you don't have an excess of glucose. Congratulations on your achievement and I wish you every success in keeping below 42. Make sure you "live a little".