lantus twice ?

ajp918

Dislikes
self opinionated arrogant priggs.
A quick introduction to myself first, I am nearly 44 years old and have had type 1 diabetes since 1973, nearly 38 years, i have always had 2 injections daily, i have tried the pen a couple of years ago but didn't get away with it. My question is - I have 2 injections daily consisting of - 26marks of Lantus AND 36marks of Actrapid MIXED in one syringe twice daily, I hear a lot of people yelling at the screen !! I have been on this regime for some years now and have not had any problems what so ever, regular check ups, blood sugars are good, avg hba1results, i am fit (ish) 6', but people keep telling me not to mix my glargine insulin nor to have it twice daily. does anyone else do this as i have tried having my glargine only once a day ( for about 4 weeks) and THAT led to high BG readings. Some advise would be nice if anyone can advise as my body says it's ok but "People" say it's not... Thanks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You are not meant to mix lantus insulin with any other insulin's as the lantus website clearly states:

http://www.lantus.com/

You can split your lantus dose should you find it is not lasting 24 hours, it's advisable to speak with your diabetes nurse on how best to approach this. Good luck.

Nigel

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No idea about lantus (other than you can split the dose, who told you that you could not?), but re: the pens, what was the problem? Because you can get different pens, so if you wanted to try again with the pens you could see if you prefer a different one. Also you can get different needles too if you didn't like the length you used before.

ajp918

Dislikes
Thanks for your reply, The problem i have with the pens is that after 38 years of injections there is nowhere left that doesnt cause a slight bit of pain (and yes i do circulate my sights) and my body seems to accept totally only 2 injections daily. Whereas with a pen it was 4 times a day. and my BG readings were off the scale literally even after weeks of adjustment. I might try them again as this was quite a few years ago and tech has got better (i hope) with age. I have also tried lantus first, actrapid subsequently through the day but again 4 injections daily for the next 40 odd years ??. Thanks anyway.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
If your medical team know about your regime and condone it, I'd have serious doubts about them :(
I was shouting at the screen-you should NOT mix Lantus with any insulin-it's stated clearly on the provided leaflets. There is good reason for this, the mechanism of delivery of Lantus is different to that of any other insulin treatment. Lantus has a very acid PH and releases iteself slowly by being neutralised as it enters the body.
Your clinic should be advising you better, and If you want to stick to a 2 injection a day regime, you are on the wrong insulins- you should to be on a pre-mixed insulin such as Novomix or Hypurin porcine 30/70 mix
I used to mix actrapid with insulatard in the same syringe many years ago- I'm not sure if insulatard is still available.
You can get a list of available insulins from Diabetes UK, and i think it's on this website too somewhere, maybe someone will provide a link.
Also syringe needles are much smaller than when i was diagnosed 22 yrs ago, I use 8umm ,30 guage. What size are you using?
Jus

ajp918

Dislikes
Hi Janabelle, my needle size is 13mm and 21gauge, This is sort of my question, not taking it twice but having it twice mixed with actrapid. No one except some private individuals have said "Don't mix " even nurses that i know haven't mentioned anything. My suspicions that i am on the wrong insulin have finally been confirmed, and with this info can take it forward. The unusual thing is that i am having NO side effects or am directly affected in any way by the lantus not working. Am i diabatic at all ?? (I know i am but that question has been raised to myself). The reason i had to change to a different insulin was my Semitard didn't seem to be working anymore and my "New" doctor prescribed Lantus, some years ago now. I already feel different knowing this information. I also understand that some people may view this post a bit stupid, but i have never trusted certain medical types anad my own control of this disease has been all but perfect until my lantus query, wether i a lucky in this matter or i have understood how to do things in my 38 years is up to others to decide. (But anyone who has had to deal with this for any amount of time becomes an officianado, don't you think ?) Thanks Janabelle, and watch this space. X

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
HI,
I've had some awful experiences with medical professonals, not just diabetes related, which unfortunately or fortunately(?) makes me more questioning and less trusting of doctors. The worst were during my son's cancer treatment; the result being I now take a pinch of salt, and a small dose of doubt whenever I have a consultation with any doctor.
Best of luck with your next appointment, might be worth printing the list of insulins that Ken provided, to show your doctor, sounds like he needs educating.
Jus :)

sugar2

Hi,

The only thing I know for certain about diabetes is that what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for all! i have been diabetic since 1977...so I am a little behind you, and have been on every kind of insulin going...each one being slightly better for me than teh last...BUT if I had found one that worked, and your results are good, I would presonally stick with what works!
I would also spend a week or so testing like a thing possessed, just to make sure things were as good as I thought...and if they were...continue as I was.

I am jealous though! I much prefered syringes to pens, although I like my pump most of all. :D

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow what massive needles, there are newer tiny ones, I think I would be too scared to use 13mm 21 gauge ones!

If you weren't diabetic (insulin resistant) those amounts of insulin would kill you. I expect they would kill me.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There are pen needles available that are only 4mm long, and it is now recognised that ALL persons only need to use this length whether fat or thin.

ajp918

Dislikes
Just a Thanks to all concerned who have submitted their views and suggestions for this matter. Great help (well 90% was anyway !) THANKS AGAIN - ajp918.

Elaine Lane

Lantus Twice?
As previously stated everyone reacts differently. I found 3 years ago that Lantus didn't last 24 hours so as an experiment I split it, it worked a treat and I informed my consultant that I was doing this, she agreed that if it works for me carry on. But, she did tell me that on no account must I mix it as it can 'poison' other insulins. Chemical reactions and all that. I am now on a pump after 43 years of type 1 my body started to rebel against it all. Wonderful invention!
Listen to your body but beware of chemical mixes.

oconnorbp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know how you feel and after 38 years myself. Diabetes has come along way since just soluble insulin. I was on twice a day injections and suffered many hypo comas in the early years but since I have been on glargine and actrapid four times a day (glargine at night then 3 of actrapid at meals times) the hypo's have become less. I still get 1.8's or lower but can survive them. Have a word with your nurse if your BS were going high, perhaps your dosage needs to be increased but be careful. 4 times a day using pen's gives you more control over your diabetes say's I who can't keep a standard blood sugar level I always average 7 to 8 in my HC1's.