New BBC Diabetes article. Very interesting!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I probably fall into category 5, "mild" diabetes due to ageing. I would very much like to know what level of bg the researchers consider "mild". I suspect they may be talking about levels that other research, and my own experience, has shown to be harmful.

Last edited:

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I probably fall into category 5, "mild" diabetes due to ageing. I would very much like to know what level of bg the researchers consider "mild". I suspect they may be talking abut levels that other research, and my own experience, has shown to be harmful.
Where is the article? An interesting article from the bbc is always welcome ;)

Found it!

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43246261

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
"Diabetes - or uncontrolled blood sugar levels". Mr Pedantic here. I can't help it but surely diabetics are the only people likely to monitor there BG. I know some athletes might monitor their BG as well as some keep fit people, but by and large only diabetics have any idea what their BG is doing and by and large will all do something about controlling their BG.

"Type 2 diabetes is largely seen as a disease of poor lifestyle . . ." I suppose "seen that way" means it's not cast in stone.

"However, the study suggests their disease is probably caused by a defect in their beta-cells rather than being too fat." At least they question the earlier statement.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm cluster 3 but have perfect kidney health luckily. :)
Considering ive had diabetes symptoms since childhood.

Still being treated for a bacterial infection. First ever.
Walked out a bit more comfortable today. After 2yrs of struggling.
But not diabetes related.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
"Diabetes - or uncontrolled blood sugar levels". Mr Pedantic here. I can't help it but surely diabetics are the only people likely to monitor there BG. I know some athletes might monitor their BG as well as some keep fit people, but by and large only diabetics have any idea what their BG is doing and by and large will all do something about controlling their BG.

"Type 2 diabetes is largely seen as a disease of poor lifestyle . . ." I suppose "seen that way" means it's not cast in stone.

"However, the study suggests their disease is probably caused by a defect in their beta-cells rather than being too fat." At least they question the earlier statement.

'Disease of poor lifestyle'. Would they include in that statement all the dietary advice given by the Health Authorities over the last thirty to forty years? You know, cereals, grains, low fat, X% carbs at every meal, the same advice that some HCPs are still doling out. Sorry, just a bit irritated by the terminology sometimes.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
'Disease of poor lifestyle'. Would they include in that statement all the dietary advice given by the Health Authorities over the last thirty to forty years? You know, cereals, grains, low fat, X% carbs at every meal, the same advice that some HCPs are still doling out. Sorry, just a bit irritated by the terminology sometimes.

I think the article was poorly written by someone who has only used the media as their sole source of information.