Advice on the insight pump

Sarahstar82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m currently using the accu-check combo pump, the warranty ran out about a week ago. For me the logical move would be to go onto the insight but when speaking to the consultant or a DNS they advise me not to. Only reason is the handset. I also spoke to a pump rep who said I would get fed up with it. The solution from my DNS is to wait and see if Roche bring out something better. But in the meantime I have to hope and pray my pump keeps working or I’m back to a pen!! My understanding of the insight handset is that it takes 20-30 seconds longer to run through the settings compared to the combo. Has any other insight users found the switch really bad?
The other pumps available to me are the omnipod or Medtronic and after careful consideration neither will Suit my needs even my DSN agrees. She does think the insight is better for me but not with the handset as it is.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Insight is slower, but in my opinion a better pump with capability to manage multiple boluses of different types too.

I was annoyed with mine for a good few months, you have to be patient when using it and not try to force it to speed up by pressing screen options or buttons that are not yet active.

I think you can get a new Combo if you want to stay on it.

Reactions: Picci

Sarahstar82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the reply @Chas C Your input has been helpful. I have considered staying with the combo but feel I now need a change to something better, life has changed over the last 4 years and the benefits the insight has with the ease of changing the cartridges the extra multiple boluses plus the smaller size would benefit me in the long run. They have made out that the issues with the handset were major flaws and nearly everyone who went on it wanted to give it back. They had a similar argument when I first wanted to go on a pump and I proved them wrong! After what you have said I don’t see the handset as a major problem just learning a new way of operating compared to the combo, I think I am able to adjust. Now I just have to convince them I’m quite happy with the handset as it is and hope they agree.

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I love my insight :) but then it is my first pump so I don't have anything to compare it against. The handset can be a bit slow but certainly not to the point where I would ever consider switching to something else or giving it up!

Reactions: Picci and Chas C

Sarahstar82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Neoncat for your reply. There seem to be more pros than cons with the insight. With a bit of persuasion I’m hoping to have the insight by mid March

Last edited:
Reactions: Picci and Neoncat

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thanks Neoncat for your reply. There seem to be more pros than cons with the insight. With a bit of persuasion I’m hoping to have the insight by mid March
Hi Sarah,
You might find it a struggle to get the pump you want due to many hospitals refusing to issue the pump due to the problems with it. both Devon and Cornwall have stopped using the pump due to so many problems with it.

Sarahstar82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @CarbsRok thank you for your reply. Do you know what the other problems are? So far it’s only been the handset and how it compares to the combo. My hospital is still offering the insight but I think it’s to those who have never had a pump before. Their assumption is because I’m used to the combo handset I’ll get fed up with the insight.

Last edited:

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Sarahstar82 if you do a search on here for the Insight you will see the complaints.

• Bubbles in tubing - all pumps get these but the Insight with the cartridge isn't supposed to.
  • Leaking cartridge inside pump - seems some people were reusing the cover/piping instead of changing with new cartridges.
  • Accidental bolus - in earlier days it was possible to press buttons accidentally and give yourself an unplanned manual bolus. The mechanism for unlocking the pump (pressing two buttons) has been improved to stop this. But now some complain the unlock mechanism is too complicated, pressing three buttons one after the other.
  • Handset too slow
  • Handset battery dying or having to charge too often.
  • Pump battery dying quickly after it reaches around 80-85% charge, so needs replacing as soon as its less than 100%.
There are probably others and my post is going to cause lots of feedback from those who don't like the pump as you can imagine.
I'm not going to get into any debates on these items above but maybe it gives you a feel of the reported issues.

Chas

Sarahstar82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Chas C thank you, lots more to think about. I have previously looked through insight posts and I did wonder if some of these issues may be isolated to a few pumps or early teething problems. I will be asking the questions before I make my decision.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its far better than the cellnovo, that was an unmitigated disaster.

I've had it for about 3 years now and it's great vs the pen. You just need to be a bit patient with it. The timelags are deliberate to an extent to make you check things before just pressing buttons at random

Sarahstar82

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for your response to my post. As of Monday I will have a new pump, the diabetes team are happy to issue me with the insight

Reactions: Picci and Chas C

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for your response to my post. As of Monday I will have a new pump, the diabetes team are happy to issue me with the insight
@Sarahstar82
How is life going with your new pump? I am new to pumping and LOVE my insight. I was concerned about the bad reviews and prepared myself for frustration, thankfully I have NO PROBLEMS with the pump or handset, I think it's great!
Hope all is going well,
Christine