Effects of cold on insulin effectiveness

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
your insulin can get too cold as well as too hot
Evil.gif

Drove to Birmingham on Sunday, with my luggage sat in the car outside a restaurant for 2 hours, then drove down to Farnham. Tuesday was cancelled so my luggage sat in the car again outside the offices all day until I drove home again. Spare insulin was in the luggage and got used on Tuesday.

Blood glucose then went screwy for the last three days (8/9/10 vs more normal 5-8). was eating minima carbs, TBR of 120% and corrections every meal and then it suddenly clicked.

Changed everything again yesterday including fresh insulin and seems to be back to normal again, although I'm noticing the lack of aerobic exercise at the moment, which also tends to keep my levels lower.

D

Deleted Account

Thanks for the lesson @ElyDave . I have come close to this in this past but, thankfully, remembered at the last minute.

The one that has caught me out is my meter. Wandering around in the cold for a few hours with my meter in my bag, I decided I needed to take a reading (walking up hill was harder than it should be which is a classic symptom for a hypo for me). My meter was not having it. Every time I inserted a test strip it said “E-1”. I swore, i crunched on a dextrose just in case, I kept walking, I tried again when I got home, I swore again, I dug out my old spare meter (which, thankfully takes the same strips) and I was low.
As I warmed up and treated my low, I got out the internet and googled “E-1” to be told the meter was outside the operable temperature range. And, surprise surprise it started working soon afterwards.

Lesson learnt: keep my meter in inside pocket (or partner’s inside pocket because women’s jackets are useless for storing things) on cold days.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ElyDave ,

With regards to spoiled insulin.
It's funny how we think about the heat of sunny destinations. & the cold of a plane hold when traveling with insulin.

@helensaramay i know what you mean about the meters. My work trousers heve a utility pouch/pocket hanging from the belt line, which is ideal for keeping my stuff at a working temprature. Providing I have a long jacket covering my hip..

Roll on Spring! :)

Reactions: Kim Possible

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, same issue with the cold meter when out cycling or running in the winter.

When that happens I just eat as usual and check at the next cafe stop

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the lesson @ElyDave . I have come close to this in this past but, thankfully, remembered at the last minute.

Lesson learnt: keep my meter in inside pocket (or partner’s inside pocket because women’s jackets are useless for storing things) on cold days.

Thank you for this reminder about meters! I'd remembered about insulin in the cold and been very careful but had forgotten about meters not liking the cold.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@ElyDave and @helensaramay , my meter is too cold every day when I wake up. No problem, just tuck it under your arm for half a minute and it's good to go again.