Type 2 and chronic fatigue syndrome

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Bravo to you, jac25! Wish I lived nearby so we could cook for you:( Is it feasible to advertise for someone to cook up a week's worth of meals? Is there any agency that offers home care for such purposes? We have it here in Canada and it is a life changer for many people - I should say in Ontario - and true, it is being cut back, but still helpful. Any Churches that you know of that members would volunteer to provide such services? Maybe you could sweet talk a culinary school into providing meals made by students??!!

So, so many people cannot understand what we go through on a daily, sometimes hourly basis - I describe it to my friends as a fatigue that seeps into your bones and you cannot fight it....if you do, you only harm yourself further....Very distressing socially as well - many cancellations have to be made along the way, which sucks....But one day at a time - sounds trite - but we need to find two or three things to be grateful every day - sometimes for me I just have to write in my journal - "made it to bedtime"!

Bravo to all of us for battling on and working at keeping our diabetes under control in spite of all else! Blessings/L

VivD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
bigoted and selfish people, this Government, grey cold windy days
My physical reaction to carbs is sleep so the fewer the better, but it does vary on my overall sleep patterns too, if I can maintain a good cycle getting 7-8hrs sleep then I am better equipped. I tend to slump in the afternoon so have a coffee then a power nap or meditation put on headphones and relax this helps. Grey days also affect me so I use a sad lamp in the morning and sometimes later on. This was a problem before I became diabetic - have a 'good meal' over and out and I didn't eat as much as others! I have slept through shows , films etc but taking a purposeful break before going out or when I feel I need it works well for me. Agree about exercise too.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Has any one seen the film by Jennifer Brea a sufferer of CFS it's called Unrest and it opened my eyes to just how much suffering and heartbreak CFS can cause.

It would seem many people with CFS have severely messed up immune systems and or have poorly functioning mitochondria causing an inability to properly carry out Aerobic exercise and are limited to Anaerobic exercise with can only be maintained for relatively short periods.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Sleep disruption/deprivation is one of the major trigger for T2D. I suspect my T2D was largely triggered by the months of night feeding duty when my boy arrived. :) The cost of late parenthood. We are probably more resilient when we are youger.

Nowadays I try to get my morning sun and eat less in the evening, no tea or coffee in the afternoon Little things that helps me get better more restful sleep...
My sleep pattern disintegrated when I had my second child.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was supposed to go for surgery on one of my arthritic knees on 07 March but have had to cancel because at present I am feeling so low. I sleep like a log - day or night (or both) and am finding that even my jaw muscles ache when I eat! I've only felt this way since I had surgery to remove a tumour from my parathyroid - which meant removing a fair bit of my thyroid as well because it was growing into my thyroid. I was put onto levothyroxine to balance the thyroid hormone level but now I feel dreadful - muscle fatigue like I would never have believed - making any activity very painful - even laying on my bed. While in the hospital for the parathyroid surgery, I managed to develop an infection which took 3 weeks worth of antibiotics to settle, then I caught that really bad flu that went around. That was at the end of December and here we are in March and I don't seem to be able to recover. I don't know if it is a knock on effect from the thyroid, the infection or flu I have been taking a milk thistle supplement to try to help my damaged liver, so maybe that is the problem. Whatever it is, I can't see me recovering from knee surgery just now. The hospital was a bit shirty when I phoned to cancel but agreed to put the date off for a month. If I can't make that, they'll cross me off the list. I have an appointment to see my doctor on 07 March and will see what she says.

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's brilliant. It shows that most people with it suffered an infection or flu prior to developing ME/CFS; I know I did. But I also know I had a very bad flu the winter before I developed T1 diabetes.

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was supposed to go for surgery on one of my arthritic knees on 07 March but have had to cancel because at present I am feeling so low. I sleep like a log - day or night (or both) and am finding that even my jaw muscles ache when I eat! I've only felt this way since I had surgery to remove a tumour from my parathyroid - which meant removing a fair bit of my thyroid as well because it was growing into my thyroid. I was put onto levothyroxine to balance the thyroid hormone level but now I feel dreadful - muscle fatigue like I would never have believed - making any activity very painful - even laying on my bed. While in the hospital for the parathyroid surgery, I managed to develop an infection which took 3 weeks worth of antibiotics to settle, then I caught that really bad flu that went around. That was at the end of December and here we are in March and I don't seem to be able to recover. I don't know if it is a knock on effect from the thyroid, the infection or flu I have been taking a milk thistle supplement to try to help my damaged liver, so maybe that is the problem. Whatever it is, I can't see me recovering from knee surgery just now. The hospital was a bit shirty when I phoned to cancel but agreed to put the date off for a month. If I can't make that, they'll cross me off the list. I have an appointment to see my doctor on 07 March and will see what she says.
good luck. X

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
tell your doctor about this. I had pneumonia, and three loads of antibiotics and it took me 6 months to recover. You have had a lot going on and it may be that you need more recovery time or the surgery could take a very long time to heal.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My physical reaction to carbs is sleep so the fewer the better, but it does vary on my overall sleep patterns too, if I can maintain a good cycle getting 7-8hrs sleep then I am better equipped. I tend to slump in the afternoon so have a coffee then a power nap or meditation put on headphones and relax this helps. Grey days also affect me so I use a sad lamp in the morning and sometimes later on. This was a problem before I became diabetic - have a 'good meal' over and out and I didn't eat as much as others! I have slept through shows , films etc but taking a purposeful break before going out or when I feel I need it works well for me. Agree about exercise too.
Mine is exhaustion too. And extended stomach. :(

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Call you get insomnia with CFS ?
Yes, in that I become so overtired and exhausted that i cant sleep, or pain keeps me awake.

Like tonight. I am very tired, the struggle to keep the fires stoked and keep warm and the constant whine of the wind round the house has made my nerves jangle so much that, although I could cry with tiredness, I cant sleep. I know its a paradox, but its what happens.

and this over tiredness is not like being tired from a brisk walk or busy day, its more a bone weariness, a heaviness, like moving through treacle. Difficult to explain.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes, in that I become so overtired and exhausted that i cant sleep, or pain keeps me awake.

Like tonight. I am very tired, the struggle to keep the fires stoked and keep warm and the constant whine of the wind round the house has made my nerves jangle so much that, although I could cry with tiredness, I cant sleep. I know its a paradox, but its what happens.

and this over tiredness is not like being tired from a brisk walk or busy day, its more a bone weariness, a heaviness, like moving through treacle. Difficult to explain.
Not really. I get it.... I physically get what your describing.. I cannot relax, all on edge so no constant sleep if you eventually sleep off.
My sleep is getting worse. Always far worse in winter thou. My brother-in-law had it before he died so this goes to prevent me relaxing about it. GP knows but he's concentrating on my infection for now.
Ive been mooted as a fibro sufferer but not diagnosed due to back pain and now infection.
Other GP wants me to concentrate on bariatric op preparation first.
But my pain won't let me at mo. :(

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
I have T2 diabetes controlled by meds and diet. I have just been diagnosed with Polymyalgia which is inflammation in the muscles of the body. My arms and right hip are mainly affected, my Dr has it classed as a minor complaint, which I was surprised at because of the amount of pain I am in. When I cannot stand the pain any more I take Ibuprofen long lasting which just takes the edge of the pain and I use a rub as well. The treatment for this condition is steroids, which we know doesn't mix well with diabetes and can cause weight gain, which I do not want having shed 2 stones and still going. I would be starting on a medium dose and then reduced over time until I was on a maintenance dose. A blood test is used for diagnosis so ask your Dr to do one. What are the thoughts of the community think about steroids and diabetes. Sorry for rant.
I have T2 diabetes controlled by meds and diet. I have just been diagnosed with Polymyalgia which is inflammation in the muscles of the body. My arms and right hip are mainly affected, my Dr has it classed as a minor complaint, which I was surprised at because of the amount of pain I am in. When I cannot stand the pain any more I take Ibuprofen long lasting which just takes the edge of the pain and I use a rub as well. The treatment for this condition is steroids, which we know doesn't mix well with diabetes and can cause weight gain, which I do not want having shed 2 stones and still going. I would be starting on a medium dose and then reduced over time until I was on a maintenance dose. A blood test is used for diagnosis so ask your Dr to do one. What are the thoughts of the community think about steroids and diabetes. Sorry for rant.
I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist in 2002 with fibromyalgia after I suggested to my gp that I might have ME. I was diagnosed with polymyalgia about 4 years ago and was prescribed steroids to treat it. Initially I felt wonderful, I could walk pain free up hills and stairs etc but the massive downside was the effect of steroids on diabetes . I went from taking metformin and having excellent control to suddenly having to use insulin after all other drugs failed. I was having to inject 60 units of insulin twice a day and a once a week dose of dulaglutide and even then I still had relatively high bs . If I had been warned about steroids affecting diabetes in would never have taken them. You also have to wean yourself off them which isn't easy. I have been lchf since the middle of January and have lost 23lb and have reduced my insulin to 15 units twice a day and hope that before too long in will be able to stop using insulin completely . I wish that there was some way of making all gp's aware of the effect of steroids on insulin as I wouldn't wish the problems I had on anyone else.
I take amitriptyline at night to helwith sleep but even so my sleep is terrible. Some (most) mornings I get up have some breakfast and a shower and then feel so exhausted that I need to lie down and sleep. It's not just tiredness, it's an all encompassing fatigue and ache isn't it?

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist in 2002 with fibromyalgia after I suggested to my gp that I might have ME. I was diagnosed with polymyalgia about 4 years ago and was prescribed steroids to treat it. Initially I felt wonderful, I could walk pain free up hills and stairs etc but the massive downside was the effect of steroids on diabetes . I went from taking metformin and having excellent control to suddenly having to use insulin after all other drugs failed. I was having to inject 60 units of insulin twice a day and a once a week dose of dulaglutide and even then I still had relatively high bs . If I had been warned about steroids affecting diabetes in would never have taken them. You also have to wean yourself off them which isn't easy. I have been lchf since the middle of January and have lost 23lb and have reduced my insulin to 15 units twice a day and hope that before too long in will be able to stop using insulin completely . I wish that there was some way of making all gp's aware of the effect of steroids on insulin as I wouldn't wish the problems I had on anyone else.
I take amitriptyline at night to helwith sleep but even so my sleep is terrible. Some (most) mornings I get up have some breakfast and a shower and then feel so exhausted that I need to lie down and sleep. It's not just tiredness, it's an all encompassing fatigue and ache isn't it?
A&E and my GPs are keeping me off steriods, except for preventer inhaler for asthma. Thank god. Bariatric team have a huge influence, i feel.
But must be lovely to walk without no pain!! Are you back in pain without steriods??

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
tell your doctor about this. I had pneumonia, and three loads of antibiotics and it took me 6 months to recover. You have had a lot going on and it may be that you need more recovery time or the surgery could take a very long time to heal.
That's what I was thinking. If I can't recover from flu, how on earth am I to recover from surgery? I don't suppose even a month is enough time to recover, so I'll try to get my doctor to get a delay for me. If not, and I don't feel up to it, I'll have to cancel it myself and let them put me off the surgery list. Still - that's in the future and it may not come to that. It's not just the fatigue thing though; the plan is to operate on my right knee, because that's the one that showed up as worst on the last Ex-ray I had - about 2 years ago now, but in fact the most painful one is the left knee. That, along with carpal tunnel syndrome in my left wrist and arthritis in my right one lead me to wonder how I am to do the necessary exercises to make a reasonable recovery. I am told they will figure out a way to get me mobile, but nobody can tell me how - just optimism on the part of pre-op nurses that someone will come up with an idea. First things first though - doctor on 07 March!

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
I was told by Dr who ran Chronic fatigue clinic in Belfast (now retired) that I couldn't be diagnosed with CFS as I had diabetes (T1). He refused to do the tests and when he retired the clinic was discontinued. My GP agrees I do have CFS but I never got the official test. Interested in see how you get on re results.
Thanks Lizzie I have been undergoing tests for everything else over the last 2 years with them all coming back normal so I have been advised that it must be CFS. I am having to travel to Derby to the nearest CFS clinic for diagnosis but have been told that it is supposed to be one of the best clinics in the country that only deals with CFS .

eldergarth

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
marmite peanut butter
It's brilliant. It shows that most people with it suffered an infection or flu prior to developing ME/CFS; I know I did. But I also know I had a very bad flu the winter before I developed T1 diabetes.
That's exactly how mine started with really bad infection that I couldn't shake of for months then went downhill fast