Injecting, and it appearing not to have worked.

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does this actually happen or is it just me giving myself a wrong dose of Novorapid?

I had my tea just over 2 hours ago, a food that I normally eat and take 2 units of Novorapid for.

Normally I will be around the 6-7 mmol mark but tonight i was 10.7 and now 12.3. It's as if I've injected the insulin wrong or it's not worked at all.

If i give myself 3 u I would be hypo within 2 hrs.

The only difference is that I have not been as active as usual due to sitting watching daughters gymnastics, so at mo I cannot even disappear and go for a quick walk.

The joys.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Does this actually happen or is it just me giving myself a wrong dose of Novorapid?

I had my tea just over 2 hours ago, a food that I normally eat and take 2 units of Novorapid for.

Normally I will be around the 6-7 mmol mark but tonight i was 10.7 and now 12.3. It's as if I've injected the insulin wrong or it's not worked at all.

The only difference is that I have not been as active as usual due to sitting watching daughters gymnastics, so at mo I cannot even disappear and go for a quick walk.

The joys.

Does this actually happen? Well all I can say is that for me, there is massive difference between an 'average day in the office' and a lazy Sunday at home not being very active. If I'm not careful, my BS easily hits double figures by Sunday afternoon even when I inject a lot more insulin than I would during the week.

Is this true for everybody, I cannot say.

Reactions: Dodo

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeh activity level definitely affects your blood sugars. I'm the same, if I'm inactive I have to use a lot more insulin than if I'm moving about a lot. It's the same with my pain levels, if it's high so is my blood sugar. So many things affect our blood sugar. You could always do your usual 2 u injection then later inject 1 unit to see if it get your sugar into normal range.... better than doing the 3 u at once that you say makes you hypo. I wish you the best. :)

daemoncor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Onions.
It could definitely be that you're less active, for sure. If i'm at work, I can generally take almost half the units in comparison to if I'm at home relaxing.

However, bare in mind the weather & illnesses going round at the moment. Just make sure you aren't coming down with a cold or feeling a little under the weather, as this could affect it too!

x

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

The joys.
What did you eat and are you type 1 or type2?

In less active days you could be more frugal with carbs if you do eat many? Or take more insulin if type1.?

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for the replies.

Im type 1 still honeymooning so i sometimes get strange results.

I had 3x burgen bread and a tin of ravioli. 84g of carbs in total.

I gave myself a unit of novo 3 hrs after eating as i was still 9.9. It came down to the 6 mark quite quick so I had to have something to eat before bed.