Hypo. WOW.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A brief summary.
Yesterday decided on a new month long physical challenge, nothing extreme, 100 press ups a day for 31 days. Started yesterday p.m.
Got up 7 a.m this morning. 50 press ups 3 minutes, felt good:)
Checked BS 6.3 finger prick compared to dexcom 6.5. Calibrated dexcom. Looks like being a good day.
30 g oats for breekie. Usual basal and bolus ratio for weekend. 20 mins with pre bolus. Sun is shining, still a good day.
8 a.m Wow, eyes blurry, feeling very warm, walking around slightly confused and " why is that bloody dexcom receiver buzzing?
Check dexcom......4.1 and dropping. Check blood 2.8
Cut along story short, it's taken until 9.30 for Dexcom to get above 4.1.
I've been slightly naughty, a few to many jelly babies, a couple of biscuits, 2 toast and an apple. Had some more bolus to cover the inevitable high. Sorry but I just couldn't do the 20g carbs and sit it out. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Back in the real world now:):):).
What's to be learned?
Well 50 press ups sure has an affect.
A good hypo still sees me eating the kitchen.
Dexcom is a great piece of kit.
Do I stop the press up challenge? No way!!!!!!! The challenge now is not to go hypo.
Diabetes...... it's laid down the challenge. Let's see who wins.:):)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck!

Maybe your better off doing pm press ups? I don't know why, but maybe your body prefers evening exercise?

Or maybe you need to have a little something to eat, just a digestive or something, pre-early morning press ups? Or maybe, if you're bolusing for breakfast immediately after press ups, you need to reduce your breakfast bolus a bit because you've woken up the glut4 receptors in your biceps (?) so you need less insulin for them same food?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This is a good challenge. I did this a few months back, which was satisfying.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@catapillar . Yep you right, need to try something a bit different tomorrow, it's a work day.:)
Just didn't expect a 3 minute blast to have such an impact in such a short space of time.
Always up for a challenge.
Think I'll go for a few carbs onboard tomorrow and see how that goes.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is a good challenge. I did this a few months back, which was satisfying.
Hi . Just a little 10 mins a day challenge for something a bit extra. Do the gym 6 days a week so the actual challenge isn't to difficult. More a timing thing. Hoping for 50 first thing in morning and 50 before bed. In a way it's a mental challenge as well, sometimes the last thing I want to do at those times of day are press ups.:)

D

Deleted Account

To add to the fun, as your body gets used to the press ups over the month, it will use less glucose do the regime you find works this week, may result in a high BG by the end of the month.
But don't give up. Test adjust test adjust test adjust... and feel yourself getting stronger.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @therower ,

Wishing you all the best on your challenge..! :cool:

It would be safe to say you know your body better than anyone..

Bit just to keep up the motivation, I thought you might like to blast this out while you're at it? :)

Best of luck!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee . Have spent many an hour in the gym when the legendary "Rocky " theme plays over the p.a. system.
Back in the day you could actually feel the testosterone levels go up ( and that was just the women :):):).)
Not sure the wife will want it blasting out at 4.30 tomorrow morning.
As for knowing my body..... well like everything diabetes, there's always a few little surprises along the way.
I've done hundreds of different, more intense workouts over the years, but this really was a surprise. Such an intense and rapid hypo. As mentioned, overtime my body will expect and adapt to the challenge. It's fun whilst it does.:banghead::banghead:

Reactions: Jaylee