Managing at uni?

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all Amrit here, I'm 18, finishing up at school and going to uni in September.

Just wondered how people coped/are coping with managing whilst at uni? I imagine it's pretty similar but did you find anything to be more challenging?

Also does anyone have a freestyle libre? I've thought about getting one for a while but then don't think my control is bad enough to warrant a change to anything. Thanks

Reactions: lordbladdemere

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to be a bit depressing, but whenever I am at uni my diabetes goes horribly wrong. The other day when I was there my sugars ran slightly on the low side (5's despite juice), my dexcom malfunctioned, the stress of it all put my blood sugar to 11 and I had to do two sensor changes (bad bleeding) and one pump change. Uni does NOT agree with me :(

Anything I find more challenging? The exercise! Walking around campus to get to class and walking to/from class back to the car. Also most food on campus sucks and it's hard to take in suitable food from home. If I eat carbs, that means IOB, which means being low due to exercise. Today's my longest day of the week at uni and I'm probably gonna starve. If possible find somewhere good to get food, and work out ahead of time how you will cope with the exercise if your classes are far apart on campus. When you get your timetable, look up which rooms you're in and how far apart they are. Also find somewhere on campus you can buy a soft drink or some sweets, just in case your supplies run out in the middle of the day. Finally, if you ever have to give a talk or presentation, monitor your blood sugar carefully and bring some sugar with you - I find that even 10min of presenting will make me drop like a rock (although this may be different for you).

Also make sure you contact disability services so you can take your supplies into exams! Make a friend in each of your classes and tell them you're diabetic (just in case something happens to you and you need help).

Reactions: Amrit1712

daemoncor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Onions.
As long as you keep your head on, you should be okay.

You sound pretty chill with your control, and that's a good thing. Don't get too stressed, and if you're out & about (partying and drinking) look after yourself.

The above information from phdiabetic is amazing!

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to be a bit depressing, but whenever I am at uni my diabetes goes horribly wrong. The other day when I was there my sugars ran slightly on the low side (5's despite juice), my dexcom malfunctioned, the stress of it all put my blood sugar to 11 and I had to do two sensor changes (bad bleeding) and one pump change. Uni does NOT agree with me :(

Anything I find more challenging? The exercise! Walking around campus to get to class and walking to/from class back to the car. Also most food on campus sucks and it's hard to take in suitable food from home. If I eat carbs, that means IOB, which means being low due to exercise. Today's my longest day of the week at uni and I'm probably gonna starve. If possible find somewhere good to get food, and work out ahead of time how you will cope with the exercise if your classes are far apart on campus. When you get your timetable, look up which rooms you're in and how far apart they are. Also find somewhere on campus you can buy a soft drink or some sweets, just in case your supplies run out in the middle of the day. Finally, if you ever have to give a talk or presentation, monitor your blood sugar carefully and bring some sugar with you - I find that even 10min of presenting will make me drop like a rock (although this may be different for you).

Also make sure you contact disability services so you can take your supplies into exams! Make a friend in each of your classes and tell them you're diabetic (just in case something happens to you and you need help).
Thanks! That's a lot of useful information. Yeah I think the most difficult part will be initially getting into a new routine again like I have now which makes everything easier. I'm assuming you can sort it out so I can collect my prescriptions from a local pharmacy?

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As long as you keep your head on, you should be okay.

You sound pretty chill with your control, and that's a good thing. Don't get too stressed, and if you're out & about (partying and drinking) look after yourself.

The above information from phdiabetic is amazing!
Hopefully it should be fine, I'm looking forward to it. Generally my control is good, hasn't been as good recently due to stress I think but it's getting better again.

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! That's a lot of useful information. Yeah I think the most difficult part will be initially getting into a new routine again like I have now which makes everything easier. I'm assuming you can sort it out so I can collect my prescriptions from a local pharmacy?

Not sure about that, where I am I can get anything from any pharmacy but your area may have different rules so look it up or consult the pharmacist.

Another tip: wear medical ID!! Especially if you're going to be drinking or clubbing. People will assume that an unconscious uni student is drunk, so it's important that you wear something that tells them you are a T1. Ideally, include your name and a phone number they can call (I wear a bracelet with my mum's number on it).

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure about that, where I am I can get anything from any pharmacy but your area may have different rules so look it up or consult the pharmacist.

Another tip: wear medical ID!! Especially if you're going to be drinking or clubbing. People will assume that an unconscious uni student is drunk, so it's important that you wear something that tells them you are a T1. Ideally, include your name and a phone number they can call (I wear a bracelet with my mum's number on it).
That's a good one, I did have a wristband thing but lost it, should probably get a new ome beforehand!

Reactions: phdiabetic

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When my son first went to halls in his first year there were two of them out of 7 who had serious medical issues, not diabetes, but one whose injections had to be kept in a separate fridge in her room. They all looked out for her. I dont know if you are Type 1 but you could always ask the Uni to be housed in halls with another Type 1. If not I think you will be surprised at the amount of support there is so dont fret before you go. Also our experience is there is excellent medical facilities available. Good luck!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all Amrit here, I'm 18, finishing up at school and going to uni in September.

Just wondered how people coped/are coping with managing whilst at uni? I imagine it's pretty similar but did you find anything to be more challenging?

Also does anyone have a freestyle libre? I've thought about getting one for a while but then don't think my control is bad enough to warrant a change to anything. Thanks

Heya my last term at college right now. It’s been an up and down journey. I’ve found it ma pretty alright to deal with. I shop in aldi and lidl most of the time to keep spending down and do lots of cooking in advance.
I’ve a number of years checking experience behind me but lately I’ve found low carb to be good for me. It’s all what you make of it, try your best to cook in advance and freeze and keep plenty on you the whole time especially if you’re going for some pints which you most definitely will be in the first year

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
I royally screwed up a lunch injection and managed to knock myself out in the middle of a lecture last year, did the whole falling off my chair thing and gave people quite the scare heh. I have since got a Libre though and my management has vastly improved, but I still require the odd injection or banana or something mid-lecture.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As soon as you find out about your accommodation, contact them and get permission to have a mini-fridge in your room. Your flatmates/housemates might be perfectly lovely during the day, but when under the influence people do stupid things, and you can't afford to have your insulin messed around with.

Two of my flatmates, in first year, came in from a bender and started throwing blocks of cheese at each other.

When they ran out of cheese they moved onto knives....

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Came here to say this, and so will just reiterate about contacting the disability advisory service! never went to uni but I do work for one.

daemoncor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Onions.
That's a good one, I did have a wristband thing but lost it, should probably get a new ome beforehand!

I'm in the process of making medical alert bracelets, necklaces, cards etc. When they're done I'll be happy to pop one over to you!

Amrit1712

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heya my last term at college right now. It’s been an up and down journey. I’ve found it ma pretty alright to deal with. I shop in aldi and lidl most of the time to keep spending down and do lots of cooking in advance.
I’ve a number of years checking experience behind me but lately I’ve found low carb to be good for me. It’s all what you make of it, try your best to cook in advance and freeze and keep plenty on you the whole time especially if you’re going for some pints which you most definitely will be in the first year
Yeah I'll be doing a lot of cooking haha, going self-catered just so it makes it a bit more flexible on when I eat